1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sign Jarrett Jack right now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mig0s, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes please. Roughly the same value/production as Beverley. We can then shop Beverley in trades and that's a very desirable contract I think. A backup plan of Beverley and Jack is not the worst thing. They're both useful on both sides of the court.

2. chimera34

chimera34 Member

Jack is exactly the definition of a ball dominant guard and one of the poorest defenders against guards that drive to the rim. :confused::confused::confused:

3. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Can he come back from that injury?

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What's the chance Bev will be out with some injury again? Who's looking forward to Ennis playing backup PG? JJ might not be the answer, but the Rockets do need a real backup PG.

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

7. mightybosstone

For the veteran minimum, I see no reason why they wouldn't want to at least give the guy a call. He can't be worse than Ennis, and if he even gives you 60-70 percent of the player he was in his prime, that'd be an improvement at a position of need in terms of depth. But to the posters saying they should sign Jack and trade Beverley, just stop. The guy is 33 and coming off ACL surgery. Plus, he's not remotely the shooter or defender that Beverley is, which makes him a poor fit next to Harden in the starting lineup.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Depends on the audition I guess. Chalmers is 3 years younger and he's a better shooter so his game is less likely to be affected by injury. Jack is a better passer and I get the feeling he's a better professional and maybe a better locker room guy? Just speculating.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's kind of insane that we're rolling with Ennis and Brown as insurance, and Bev has missed a whole bunch of games.

Given we initially cut Brown to sign D-Mo I assume he'd be the first to go between him and Ennis.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

YES, this is the power of Harden, put him on any NBA roster and he will drag them into playoffs, give him a couple of great shooters and youre an instant contender

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Exactly. We can't be rolling that dice much longer. I cringe thinking comes playoff and Bev is injured.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The one thing about Jack is that I'm not sure if his style fits into the way the current team plays.
    Sure, if you are just saying we need better backup and he isn't going to see many minutes anyway, and for the vet. minimum, sure. Not sure he'd be interested in that though, so you'd ultimately be promising him something you won't give him and there might be locker room issues then.

That said, he is a career 35% three point shooter, with a couple years above 40%, and if the audition included him running with the team at a practice to see if he can fit and they determine he can, then it might make some sense.

I think there's an inclination here to be looking for PGs. Remember it doesn't have to be a PG. Harden and Gordon can carrry nearly 48 minutes as the "PG". A two guard with actual value to replace Ennis/Brown also works.

Hakeemtheking and YOLO like this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If both are healthy, I'd rather have Chalmers.

What is Nate Robinson up to?

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sign him or else what?

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Chalmers would be great if healthy, but he tore his Achilles which no one fully recovers from. So even being three years older Jack has a better chance of looking like his old self, though his game had already been declining.

16. varughese.arun

This is a good thought. I don't know if his age has caught up to him and diminished his skills. Another player similar to him is Steve Blake.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Jarrett Jack is old and injured. There is no hope for him left.

Pablo Prigs is still alive, bring him back.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Don't know who we should sign. All I know is that Brown and Ennis have no business being in a championship roster. Bev id great, but often injured. We need competent backup pgs.

basketballholic likes this.
  19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jack has been 28% on 3pt the last 2 years
    But dude is money from inside arc.
    If it's to replace Brown, I'm ok with that...but I'd rather have a better 3pt guy out there to maintain spacing.

20. hvic

hvic Member

I like Old man pablo