1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sidney Ponson released by Texas

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mateo, Jun 8, 2008.

1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Yeah he's a jerk, but so is Clemens. This tubbo was actually pitching pretty well for Texas before he got run. I'd rather we get him than our competitors.

I remember when Hunsicker tried to trade Hampton for him.

Any feedback?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you can pick him up, you really need to.

3. msn

msn Member

Employing a little irony there?

4. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I haven't been following baseball as much as I usually do. What did Ponson do?

5. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

He is kind of a club house cancer/ahole. He also has a drinking problem evidence by a couple DUIs a few seasons back. Apparently, he just had an incident at a Dallas bar a couple weeks ago. The Rangers told him he was on a short lease after that. Then last start he blew up at his manager when he was taken out of the game

He has all the talent in the world, but there is a reason he bounces around so much. It has to be pretty seriously for the Rangers with their pitching problems to release someone who has been pitching so well.

#5 DoitDickau, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

He used to be great...but so did a lot of free agents

7. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Rocket is a saint! Ponson is a fat Aruban. No thanks.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Fortunately, being able to communicate well in writing isn't a central task in my job.

Wait. :D

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting... I got this from mlbtraderumors.com. Of course it is from Jose de Jesus Ortiz:

[rquoter]
    Should Astros get Sidney Ponson?

Would you like to have Sidney Ponson?

Let's face it, folks, the Astros need pitching. And Ponson can pitch.

The Texas Rangers just let go of him because they deemed him a "disruptive force" in the clubhouse. He also has two DWI's in his past, and you all know what I think about that.

With that said, a few Astros players asked me to strongly encourage the Astros to sign Ponson. I don't usually like to do the players' bidding, but heck, I need a blog entry. So here we go.

"We need that guy," one friend of Ponson's said. "We could use him. He's a good teammate."

Would you mind if the Astros signed Ponson? Keep in mind that he must have really, really screwed up for the Rangers to designate him for assignment. Also keep in mind that the Astros have good relations with the Rangers' brass, including the legendary Nolan Ryan. So if the Astros get him, they'll know quite well what they're getting into.

But if Ed Wade or Drayton McLane or Cecil Cooper polled their clubhouse, they'd find some guys who would offer huge endorsements for Ponson as a player, a competitor and even as a person.

The Astros' clubhouse has always been able to handle volatile personalities. Carl Everett is one example. With the added diversity, I get the sense that some of the veteran Latino players can help Ponson settle in.

And, please, don't give me this tired "our old Astros of the past have been saints" myth. If you've learned anything from the aftermath of the Mitchell Report, let it be the some of your heroes are just as human as the rest of us.

The Astros must compete in the world they live in, and it's quite obvious that the rival St. Louis Cardinals have no problem with guys with DWIs. Heck, they're managed by one very famous youtube.com drunk video star.

Somebody's going to give Ponson a chance, and it might as well be the Astros. He could be the difference between competing in September or watching somebody else win the wild card with him.

Who's on your all-trouble team?

[/rquoter]

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

No thanks...do we really need a jerk...

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

needing a starting pitcher>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>not needing a jerk

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I would take Newt Gingrich at this point if he could throw strikes.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't care if the Astros get him or not, but I laughed at JO calling him a competitor. That guy is a first class bum. Multiple alcohol incidents including a fight with a judge. The orioles ran him off after he stopped trying and blew up with coaches. Given a shot to play for the Yankees and was god awful. That's great that he's been good so far with the Rangers, but I wouldn't expect that to continue.

14. tested911

tested911 Member

Exactly!!!! Who cares if he's a jerk if the man can still pitch then we should seriously be in talks.. I don't give a damn about the Good guy image all I want is the WIN!!!

15. msn

msn Member

Haven't seen him in a while--is he as bad as Bottenfield? Remember that dude's ass? It stretched from like 3rd to 1st, no lie.

16. msn

msn Member

Hey, speaking of former Orioles, they just released Steve Trachsel. :D