1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Side jobs to make extra money for a student? {Details inside}

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldfanofTmac, Aug 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Buck Turgidson

He is in Cali. I suggest taking the bus to Chatsworth.

Or alternately, have you considered sidelining as a country singer?

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Find a niche.

Source your products.

Set up a store.

Market your site.

Convert the traffic into sales.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How much do you have to pay in gas though? Also i'd imagine you'd end up dropping like 50 a day on snacks and drinks from gas stations while having to drive around all day.

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

You could always plant tulips. ;)

5. AB423

AB423 Member

How many hours is that a day?

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I want to do Uber but the whole insurance policy thing is quite scary. Plus I'm pretty sure my policy doesn't cover that, and that I'd need a business type policy.

7. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Tutor at your college??
    RA at your college? Get paid and free housing.
    Bouncer at a club?
    Promoter at a club?
    Waiter at a restaurant/hotel.

I did the whole waiting thing while in college.. if you can put up with people is very easy job and the money isn't bad at all for a college student.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

George: I like sports. I could do something in sports.
    Jerry: Uh-huh. Uh-huh. In what capacity?
    George: You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something.
    Jerry: Yeah. Well, that - that could be tough to get.
    George: Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could be like, an announcer. Like a colour man. You know how I always make those interesting comments during the game.
    Jerry: Yeah. Yeah. You make good comments.
    George: What about that?
    Jerry: Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
    George: Well, that's really not fair.

9. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

This. Good money for part-time work...

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Speaking of which...

houstonref.com

Should I become a basketball referee? Not for the money, obv, but to have something active to do on the weekends?

Does anyone know anything about this organization? Is it a scam where I pay $500 for "training" and then sit by the phone awaiting for months, to be finally called to ref a game in Cut-N-Shoot for $15?

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Where do you live? I'm always hiring but we are located at beltway and i-10 memorial area

Its a service company and pay starts at $8 an hour but I have guys making $15 dollars an hour..
    ^^
    I give really quick raises. I've given a guy $2 raises after 2 weeks before. I start everyone off at the base $8 rate because I dont know if they will suck or not.. if you dont suck I'll give you a raise. If you become a driver I'll give you a raise

On top we offer profit-sharing which can equate to up to $400 a month and on TOP of that you will get tips.. I have 30 employees and for example I would say last week alone 6 of them had over $250 just in tips

We always need people for Friday and Saturday-- especially Saturday since its the busiest day

I hire alot of college kids so you will be around people your own age. its a very laid back work enviroment-- you are almost essentially your own boss throughout the day-- you can choose when to take breaks and **** and you will still be getting paid your hourly wage. Its pretty chill for the most part but extremely busy days can be tough/exhausting

Honestly its a very party like atmosphere and we throw a lot of office parties as-well. But when there is work to do you got to step up and do it efficiently

The only catch is we start work at 7:30am and I don't BS. You better not even be a minute late to work. Also never ask to get off early.. Always expect to work until at least 5pm. I'm very flexible with the schedule. i basically let my guys tell me what days they want to work but the deal is this.. whatever day you say you can work you better be there on time.. you better not bring your drama with you.. you better have a good attitude.. you better not ask off early.. and you better not pull any b/s games

#51 Realjad, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Telemarketing or customer service for an internet/cable company, airline or a hotel booking center. You could do some kind of customer service or back office ops for a bank, which could get a decent name on your resume and some professional contacts right out of the gate.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you live in a deregulated utility market, you could be doing phone or door-to-door utility sales. There are a lot of lucrative direct sales jobs in decent industries: selling oil and gas mineral rights or drilling leases, marketing semiconductors et al; but most degreed professionals wouldn't touch them because they're 1099.