1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI: Who's the NAB's Best/Worst Coach -- Voted By The Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daoshi, Mar 9, 2006.

1. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

SI: Who's the NBA's Best/Worst Coach -- Voted By The Players

I just got my Feb.22 (typo, it should be March 13) issue of SI, on page 32, it has a survey of 248 NBA players to pick the best/worst coach in NBA. No player is allowed to vote for his own coach.

Although JVG is not my favorite, but I was surprised to see his name on the list.

Best Coach:
    G. Popovich -- 31.9%
    P. Jackson -- 17.6%
    L. Brown -- 17.2%
    F. Saunders -- 7.6%

Worst Coach:
    S. Mitchell -- 15.0%
    M. Woodson -- 13.3%
    J. Van Gundy -- 10.8%
    M. Montgomery -- 8.3%

#1 daoshi, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  2. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

I don't like JVG very much, but I don't think these sort of polls mean anything. Remember, these are the same players that voted Yao as 2nd most over-rated player in the NBA.

3. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

NBA Players know no more than we do, and they probably picked the best and worst coach accordingly to the team's record and assumed they were the worst. (except the already respected coaches AKA Phil Jackson)

And I don't think JVG makes any friends during the playoffs, he's made it his whole career as coach and players must hate playing against his tough, rugged defensive teams.

Oh yeah, there's the three we traded away... Mobley/Cato/Francis. Doubt Jim Jackson likes JVG too. I believe the personnel moves have something to do with this.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Two of the top coaches don't have good records.

5. daoshi

Based on the pre-draft hype, the #1 draft position, and his actual on-court performace prior to this season, I'd agree that Yao was way overated.

6. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

That's why I said "the already respected coaches"...

Read >>> Assumptions

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Of course the bigger question is why did you just now get your February 22 issue of Sports Illustrated?

8. daoshi

My neibour must took it:)

My bad. Feb. 22 on the cover is the date Barry Bond's cover picture was taken, the issue is March 13.

9. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

Yao did (and still does) get a lot of media attention, but most of that attention were negative. The vast majority of the analysts at draft time slammed him as a bust waiting to happen. I wouldn't say that calling Yao the next Shawn Bradley is way over-rating him.

10. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

What pre-draft hype was there? Everyone seems to base their perception of Yao on his pre-draft hype when there was none. Give a few examples if you can of people hyping him up before the actual draft. At the time, it was a pretty controversial pick in the media and among fans. Half of those in the media didn't know much about Yao and the other half said he'd be a flat-out bust. We all remember Dick Vitale's assessment of the situation.

His Chicago workout left many executives wondering about his value because he didn't dominate some stiff in the workouts.

I'm tired of this myth about pre-draft hype. All the hype came when Yao showed that he could play in his rookie year. When he made Barkley kiss an ass, and he did decent against Shaq. The hype definately went out of control during that time. If people want to knock Yao about his hype, they should at least get their timeline straight.

11. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

He was hyped?! Well, by maybe a handful of people at most, which included Walton, RudyT, Caroll Dawson. After 2 years in the league, most analysts were saying that he would never be more than a above-average version of Rik Smits. Analysts have been saying he was overhyped since the draft, but overhyped by who, since they expected Rik Smits?

#11 Mordo, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  12. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

ole man grumpy sure as hell aint my favorite coach, but he isn't the primary reason for our dissapointment this season.

the Rockets can win with ole grumpy. its a handicap and challenge but they should be able to overcome JVG's lack of imagination/creativity.

13. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Van Gundy is average. If we had Popovich on our team, we would still get that championship style defense, but he would adjust the offense to our players, like he did for Tony Parker and Ginobili and the Spurs. I like the way they can mix it up between fast break and half court offense. I wish Yao was utilized more like Duncan.

14. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

That's the difference between Van Gundy, who is a coach, and Popovich, who is a great coach.

Van Gundy's system of play works...if you can get all the right pieces.

Van Gundy should utilize his players' ability and not have them play ball the way he wants if they don't function their best at it. Either switch up the game plan, or get new players...

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Geez isn't it easily verifiable whether such poll is on one of the recent issue of SI?
    What's your beef about the date?

16. houstonpoker

houstonpoker Contributing Member

I think a large part of the "hype" associated with Yao is the fact that he is coming from China. It is more a human interest type of hype than a hype about his skills.

17. daoshi

Yao was over hyped by quite a few people, include some NBA "experts" before the draft days. You either didn't hear, or read that, or just choose to ignore it

We all know Big Mouth Walton worships Yao, he proclaimed that Yao would completely change how the game would be played in NBA, that was before Yao even played a game in NBA. There was Rudy T., and the entire Rockets organization, remember the interviews from Rudy T. after his trip to China, and Alexander's "we have the best team ever asembled" stuff?. There was also the HOFer Rick Barry, who after coached an over-the-hill NBA team in China, came back to announce that Yao was already great by NBA standard, would dominate in the years to come. The list goes on and on.

Yes, there were many doubters out there as well, e.g., the Barkleys, the Tolberts, etc, but there were a lot of hype then!

Anyway, this thread is not about Yao, so I'll stop discussing this any further.

#17 daoshi, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

For every "expert" who over-hyped Yao there was 3, and maybe more like 4 or 5, who declared him a bust before he even played a game. Especially the local columnists. Yao got savaged by local guys all over the country when he came in.

The only place Yao gets legitimately overhyped is in All-Star voting. And that's more a function of having so little competition at the center position than anything else.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

So JVG was voted the third worst coach in the NBA by the players? Interesting. Apparently a majority of players in the league have the same opinion of JVG as many posters on this board.

20. terse

terse Member

Or get a new coach. I still want JVG out of here.

I think the players know who the good head coaches are, because there are only 30 of them in the NBA. It's a lot harder to follow the progress of hundreds of players.