1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] "Some failing to live up to expectations." Scola listed..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Jan 20, 2012.

1. gah

gah Member

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/01/20/some-failing-to-live-up-to-expectations/#more-14953

I have to add that Scola's confidence was shot last night, we kept going to him when the game got tight but he passed on all open jumpers and always tried to post-up to lackadaisical results. Also, I don't expect him to rebound as much as last year and I don't know if it is a fatigue problem, but I've seen people go around him to get rebounds because he didn't put his body on them, I just haven't seen the hustler, the energy-guy lately.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Did KMac ruin Scola's post game???????????????? ;)

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why does that description remind me of Juwan Howard?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Different system, he does not get the ball the same amount of time....

DD

5. Homie3

Homie3 Member

Scola has never been that great of a rebounder, what's the fuss about? Also, I don't agree with "struggling badly." His numbers aren't as high as last year but he's still one of the more consistent players on this team.

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Damn 6 rebounds a game..

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In all seriousness, there is something amiss with Scola. His low-post game seems sluggish. And that can't possibly be about system, because it is not like Hayes prevented help-defense from bothering Scola's creativity. And Scola is probably one of the top 5 PFs in the league whose moves remind me of McHale...so I can't possibly believe McHale doesn't see that as well. McHale is seeing himself in Scola (to a shorter degree).

Maybe his midrange is affected by system, but I do see hesitation in just shooting, sometimes.

Honestly, it really seems simple. He has no legs in this compressed season. His lack of multiple spins as usual and lack of no hesitation on mid-range jump shots points to no legs.

Okham's Razor

The discussion starts there.

1 person likes this.
  8. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think your point ends the discussion. They are super tired and Scola is feeling it.

9. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

No need to hit any panic button or read into this article on SI. Scola proved early in the season he still had some game left. This season however is not like most seasons, so yes he may be tired at times, but im sure come postseason :fingers crossed: he will be right were we want him. The guy is not the most atheletic, but his basketball i.q. and heart make up for it, he will be fine. :grin:

10. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

The fact he plays with Dalembert, who is a very good rebounder, means that Scola doesn't have to go all out every play for an extra possession, even though he still does every once and a while. Every player goes through slumps. Scola is fine. He is just in a slump offensively. But, the rebounding is fine. That's why we signed Dalembert.

11. DaDakota

It seemed to me that last year Scola had a LOT more post up opportunities and this year they are few and far between.

If you are asking your PG to drive in, you don't want the paint crowded, so I think a good amount of Scola's numbers declining is due to him not getting it in the same spots.

He seems to be getting it a lot more at the elbow.

I also agree that he is not his usual whirling dervish in there, but that could be fatigue as well.

DD

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

This doesn't explain hesitating on or passing up open midrange jumpers.

13. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Scola seems to save the post game and ice cream man scoops for the spurs. He has been posting up a lot less. He just passes away or turns, pump fakes, and then passes.

14. DaDakota

Well he only did that in the last game, sometimes players don't feel they have it that night, and decide to pass.

If he was hesitating all the time then I would worry.

The only thing I have noticed is that he seems to not be spinning both ways on his post ups....and getting as many scoops....

That could be fatigue, or it could be that he hasn't got his rythmn this year yet.

Way too early to toss him in the declining category though.

One thing that would be interesting would be to compare shot attempts and see if this year is the same as last.

DD

15. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I also think having dally hurts him. Hayes was willing to stand outside the paint and let luis go to work. Dally is always down there to crash the board so luis has less space. He just has to adjust and find a way

16. DaDakota

Exactly, less space.

DD

17. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

morey please trade scola n k-mart :p;)

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Nor does he get it in the same places deep in the post ...

I love the guy but I believe PF is the position that this team could upgrade and make the biggest impact at.

I'd like to Scola come off the bench where he could be the first option for the reserves ..... rather than the second option as a starter. I think thats the role he's best suited for with his limited defense and rebounding. (Pending there was a better option to start which at this point the team doesnt have).

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Fatigue (and injury) will beat the crap out of a lot of guys this season. Look at the Lakers tonight, shooting 4 for 21 in the first quarter and barely having 50 after 3. Wouldn't surprise me at all if a relatively young team (Thunder?) wins it all this year. A battle of attrition usually favors the young.

Stupid lockout. Should have reduced the number of games by at least 10.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member