1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Scola, Not Your Average NBA Rookie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Aug 7, 2007.

1. yobod

yobod Member

[​IMG]

The top two scorers in the Spanish League last season are coming to an NBA arena near you this fall. Luis Scola and Juan Carlos Navarro have lots of things in common, but name recognition among NBA fans isn't one of them. That will change once the NBA season gets rolling Oct. 30.

Like most rookies, Scola and Navarro will have a learning curve when it comes to the NBA. Getting accustomed to the level of competition, the never-ending travel and their new hometowns are only the most obvious adjustments they must make.

But unlike most NBA rookies, Scola and Navarro are hardly novices when it comes to being primary players in pressure situations. Both were drafted by NBA teams all the way back in 2002, and since then they have burnished their reputations as two of the very best basketball players in the world outside the NBA.

Scola and Navarro are regarded as superstars in European and international basketball, and they have the gold medals to prove it. Now all that is left for them is to bring their talent and confidence to the NBA, where they should be dynamic additions to their teams right away.

Luis Scola (Argentina), 6-8 power forward, Houston Rockets

Scola, drafted by the San Antonio Spurs with the 56th pick in the 2002 NBA Draft, is a native of Argentina, a country that has given the NBA Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto of the Spurs, Andres Nocioni of the Chicago Bulls, Carlos Delfino of the Toronto Raptors and Walter Hermann of the Charlotte Bobcats.

For the last several years, Scola has been starring for Tau Ceramica, a team which is always in the hunt for the Spanish League (ACB) and Euroleague titles. The ACB is the best national basketball league outside the NBA and the Euroleague is a multinational competition featuring all of the elite teams in Europe.

The Spurs considered bringing Scola to the NBA the last couple of years, but the timing was never right. They finally traded his draft rights to the Houston Rockets in July in a deal that also relieved the Spurs of the contract of seldom-used center Jackie Butler in exchange for Greek guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a future second-round draft pick and future considerations. Houston quickly signed Scola to his first NBA contract.

At 27, Scola is a rugged yet polished power forward who is very physical on both ends of the court. He has an excellent scoring touch with his back to the basket, but also finds other ways to score, like converting offensive rebounds into baskets and getting to the foul line. He is expected to compete with another rugged forward, Chuck Hayes, for playing time in the Rockets' frontcourt.

Scola has been a key member of Argentina's national team for many years. In 2004, he teamed with Ginobili to lead Argentina to the Olympic gold medal. In that competition, Scola averaged 17.6 points per game and shot 65.5 percent from the field. In the gold medal game against Italy, Scola came up big, leading Argentina with 25 points and 11 rebounds in a 84-69 victory.

In 2006, Scola was solid at the World Championships in Japan, but Argentina lost to Spain by one point in the semifinals and then lost in the bronze medal game to the United States. In Japan, Scola averaged 14.3 points and seven rebounds per game.

Playing for Tau last season, Scola averaged 17 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. He was second in the league in scoring to Navarro and was in the top 10 in the ACB in rebounding and field goal percentage (60 percent).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/chris_ekstrand/08/07/scola.navarro/index.html

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

nice find good to read about the accomplishments of the most unknown rocket on the roster. hopefully everything works out for the best for scola

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks! I love reading this stuff about Scola. I still can't believe we stole him from SA. They're going to regret it.

4. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I'm getting pumped on Scola.

5. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Scola might have the best big game experiences among all Rockets.

6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

let's get all the nba players for the 2008 season in one room and have a raise of hands on who owns a gold medal. oop, there's scola's hand.
    ftw.

7. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

I'm gonna make some shirts that say, "Get Scola'd"

or "Scola to the hola"

8. Dei

Dei Member

6'8? I thought he was 6'9 without shoes?

9. The Hungarian Rocket

Thanks. Good article.

10. Coca Cola Scola

It's great to read from an objective site like SI, rather than one that's more Pro-Rockets. It says that Scola was in the top 10 in rebounding in the ACB....so he couldn't be that bad at rebounding. The ACB is the best league outside of the NBA...and he was in the top 10. I'm also excited that we got one of the top 2 scorers from the Spanish league...and certainly the top big man scorer. If he can blossom here like he did overseas, the impact will be very noticeable.....we've had some average to subpar guys at that position for a long time.

By the way, can we get some more Scola videos? I really enjoyed those 4 videos that were posted in the "Final Blowout," but I'm craving for more....like the ones against Team USA, the 25 and 11 performance to win the gold, some of his best games with the Tau that show his skills. The more I see of him, the more I see that he is really good and the people that claim he's a Juwan Howard have not really seen him play.

11. Coca Cola Scola

Realjad, I tried to download that scout video 1/3 you had that compiles both games against Team USA....but it only plays 2:43 out of the 8 plus minutes....darn.

12. allforone

allforone Member

looking forward to immediate chemistry and integrity of the ROX game

13. Manun

Manun Member

7,5 rebounds isnt that bad. Im happy if he can get 7 rebounds in 30 minutes and play some good defense.
    Lol, If juwan howard was payed 3 million i would have been happy with that but scola brings so much more than howard for more than half the price. :D

Scola for ROY!

14. Coca Cola Scola

They play less minutes in Europe...their games are like 40 minutes....so Scola's averages are for like 26 or so minutes. He's way more athletic than Juwan Howard and the difference between his offensive skills and Hayes will be quite noticeable.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

There is no standard for measuring height in the NCAA, NBA or European leagues. For example, we list Novak as 6-10. He is 6-10 in shoes and 6-8.5 barefoot.

Personally, I wish the leagues would set a barefoot measurement standard, but everyone wants their players to be the biggest and baddest -- that sells more tickets.

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

It says "BEEF" on the right leg of Scola's shorts in the pic above.

Beef.......uh huh huh huh. :cool:

17. Mad Max

Mad Max Member

How about we use inches or Centimetres? Isn't that standard? We can even go one further and W/S (with shoes) B/F (bare feet).. It's just that teams like to deceive other teams, than players are also trying to deceive teams of their height, that way the don't get deemed as "tweeners". :D

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Centimeters or inches would be equally welcome, as long as the player is measured in bare feet. Judging from some of the signature shoes, a player gets anywhere from 1 to 2.5 more inches of added height from his shoes (hence, too many variables on the "with shoes" measurement).

#18 thumbs, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  19. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I think he'll be a better version of howard with alot better post game Atheletic and passing ability.

20. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

So his nick-name will be:

S-Cola

Now that's refreshing!