1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI-Matt Barnes close to signing with Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

When then-Lakers small forward Matt Barnes struggled so mightily against Denver in the first round of the playoffs last season, his on-court play seemed to lessen the chances of him returning to Los Angeles.

When Barnes was arrested by Manhattan Beach police in late July because of an outstanding traffic warrant, it appeared the off-court distraction would diminish those odds even more. Yet Barnes may indeed be returning to Los Angeles -- with the Clippers.

Sources say the 32-year-old is strongly leaning toward joining the other inhabitants of Staples Center, and a deal could be formalized later this week. Barnes turned down a more lucrative deal with Cleveland two summers ago to sign with the Lakers at the behest of Kobe Bryant, and it appears a similar superstar dynamic could be in play with the Clippers and Chris Paul.

Paul, who carries more Clippers clout than ever these days because of his looming free agency in 2013, has been included in the team's decision-making process throughout the summer and would love to make Barnes the latest addition. He appears on the verge of getting his wish. The Clippers re-signed a Paul favorite in point guard Chauncey Billups earlier this summer, secured a five-year extension with forward Blake Griffin and also added the likes of scorer Jamal Crawford, veteran small forward Grant Hill and reliable big man Ronny Turiaf.

It's been a banner summer for the new vice president of basketball operations, Gary Sacks, a longtime Clippers executive who teamed up with team president Andy Roeser and coach Vinny Del Negro on the personnel front when general manager Neil Olshey left for Portland. Barnes -- who averaged 7.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 22.9 minutes in 63 games last season and has been impressing during workouts at the Clippers facility in recent weeks -- would be a low-risk, high-reward add that would replace the toughness and defensive mentality lost with the exit of free-agent forward Kenyon Martin. Sources say the Lakers have still been considering signing Barnes as well, along with Brooklyn and Miami.

A look at other free agents still floating on the market ...

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...emaining-free-agents/index.html#ixzz26IXtDuA6

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

HATE THAT GUY

3. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

He's the type of guy you hate, but would love to be on your team. I think its a great pickup for the Clips, they have 2 finesse guys in BG and Paul, Barnes is one of those guys you can put in to stir **** up with the other team.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

They got a nice wing collection.

Butler/Crawford
    Hill/Barnes

6. LCAhmed

I have a black list of NBA players I will forever not like. Majority of them are former Jazz Players.

List goes as follows:

Carlos Boozer
    Matt Harpring
    Matt Barnes
    Andrei Kirolenko
    Pau Gasol
    Kevin "Gets No" Love (although he might be coming off this list soon)

Can't really think of too many. BUT if Matt Barnes were to ever come on to the Rockets, I would not be happy about it.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

One of more well-traveled guys in the league today. New year, you can count on him being on a new team.

8. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Kinda defeats the purpose if you can remove players from a list like this. So it's really a list of players you'll hate forever and ever no matter what... unless you change your mind.

9. rednation98

rednation98 Member

He looks like one of those players that you can tell plays dirty.

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Really? I think that's a pretty bad group. Hill wasn't that great last year, and combined with the fact that he's another year older and more importantly is away from Phoenix's voodoo doctors, and I think he's going to have a bad season. And I don't like the other three at all.

11. rocketsmetalspd

For some reason he thinks he is tougher then what he really is; a wanna be thug.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

The way I see it, having 4 meh wingers equal out to having a semi quality wing.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Another stellar off-season pickup by the Clippers.

NOT!

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

He is a piece, a small one, of schitte.

15. LCAhmed

I really dislike Kevin Love as a person, but his play has been phenomenal, so it's kinda hard to still dislike the guy. holding on as long as I can though.

16. delta69er

delta69er Member

BornTexan is that you?

Haha just kiddin brotha ;)

17. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

The Clippers are the new bring in the players that are still very much known around the league and almost over the hill: Billups, Butler, Crawford, Hill, Kenyon, Odom and now Barnes.

18. tested911

tested911 Member

How can you not have Derek Fisher on that list after what he did to Scola.. One of the most blatant shots I have seen in the past 10 years...
    I think around the 1:45 mark.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y8CzEjNVJw

19. LCAhmed

I DO, I just totally forgot about him. I *****IN Hate that guy!!! I was super pissed when I found out we got him via trade, but was relieved when we didnt actually pick him up!

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Still won't help them.