1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI: Howard Wants Rockets to Sign 3rd Max Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pragmatician, Jul 2, 2013.

1. valorita

valorita Member

Howard is dong the same thing as kobe... You cant take up 20-30 mil of your teams cP space and expect other max players to take less money to play with you. That being said, I am sure that Rox already are looking at the 2014 free agent class.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There's only one unrestricted player in 2014 I want, and he's not coming to the western conference and creating another several years of terrible finals.

3. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Title says the DH wants HR to sign a 3rd max player. The quoted section states that he inquired if the HR can sign a 3rd max player. Thread title is deceiving as the quote implies that such request was never demanded.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

That was a dumb question.........:eek:
    [​IMG]

He's freaking Daryl Morey, he does whatever he feels like doing....:p

5. Aleron

I tend to think the Bulls model is better, where your 3rd player is an elite guy when he doesn't have the ball, which usually means paying slightly less and having a deeper roster.

Has anyone noticed that the answer was never stated? Do the media want us to believe Morey sat there stunned at the revelation?

6. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

ok, he wants win,max.money,ten max.con. players,what else.

7. conquistador#11

if he wants another star player to do less work when he has few bad games, then he should be willing to sign and wait another freaking year because signing josh smith to a max deal for the hell of it will not make josh a superstar. Smith should get around 11.4 million dollars at the most.

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

The thing is: I think in a lot of cases it is better to have two max stars and two "mid level players" than three stars. There are not a lot of balls to go around - so having players like Parsons AND Asik would help more than a third star who demands the ball.

But I guess this means Dwight wants Josh Smith... And I could live with that if we can get him for a s&t with Asik and white...

9. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

Its sort of a reach but i dont see any other reason why ATL is trying to hop in the talks unless it is true we are going after J.Smith. ATL would try courting howard since they already have J.Smith. But if he really does wan't to go to Hou, ATL would be fine trading him for goodies in return. It makes sense.

10. The Hungarian Rocket

I don't know where the 'third max contract' comes from.

The SI article says:
    But the Chron blog says:

My English is not perfect but I think SI misunderstood the Chron blog.

11. Aleron

I think it's interpreted as a second max contract on top of Dwight's (since Harden already has one)

12. izeroi

izeroi Member

Hardly. I don't even see how anyone would think that.

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

First, this is old news. Yes in this arena Sunday night is old.

Second, he only inquired, he didn't demand. Inquiring minds want to know that's all.

Third, Morey walked away from that meeting very confident. As if this is as slose to a done deal as it can be without signing. Meaning unless the Lakers trade Nash and Kobe for Lebron and CP3 and hire Stan Van Gundy. The Rockets probably have this wrapped up.

So this article is irrelevant and someone is just trying to earn a paycheck with crap.

14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I don't know, to me I thought it was fairly obvious that simiply adding Dwight to this squad still isn't enough to win a championship. IF one of our young guys grows into an all-star than no it's not necessary to add that 3rd guy, but chances are if you want to win now in the next 3-5 year window with D12 and Harden, you need an impact 3rd star now.

I think I'd ask the question to, can you add extra talent bc this team isn't going to beat Miami. Asik and/or Lin would have to be moved to add in another player.

This summer that'd only be JSmith. Otherwise it's all dependent on other teams wanting to move their all star players, which isn't entirely in DM's control, but the question in my mind would be are you willing to try to improve beyond me.

I'm down for a 3rd borderline all star with elite defense and that can play w/o the ball in his hands.

15. basketballholic

Maybe Dwight was asking about his second contract with the Rox in 4 years?

Another max contract is most likely going to be acquired through trade...not outright signing. Consider this list:

1. Miami guys - most likely not going anywhere. If they are broken up, most likely that Riley trades Bosh. If Lebron is going to walk on them, Riley will know it ahead of time and will trade him.

2. Melo - most likely isn't moving from NY. If he does he'll only want to go to a contending situation. Will most likely require a trade or sign and trade.

3. Pau - won't get another max contract. Not the best fit with Dwight.

4. LaMarcus - Portland will trade him before he walks.

5. Love - Minny will trade him before he walks.

6. George - headed to restricted free agency. He either gets matched or he signs the one-year tender. If he signs the one-year tender, they'll tear it up and trade him to the team he wants to go to.

7. OKC guys - not going anywhere. If perchance they shake things up in a drastic way it will be them trading Westbrook.

8. DWill - signed long term, only possibility of a trade here, and it's probably not going to happen.

9. Rose - signed through 2018, if he goes it will be a trade, let's be real, he won't be available for many years.

10. Gay - probably acquirable through free agency in 2015. Would you offer him a max contract? I wouldn't.

See the picture here????

After Dwight is signed, you move to the 2014 free agent class. You gotta depend on guys opting out and then you gotta convince one of them to come here. I think that's a foolish ploy. Most likely max type players to change teams are guys like LaMarcus and Love. And they are most likely going to be traded.

This is another reason why I wanted Cody Zeller in the draft. I think he has at least star potential. Frankly, at this point, I'd like to hang on to Asik and develop DMO/TJones if we sign Dwight. Keep Asik and one of those guys available to trade for Kevin Love. I suppose I'd give up Asik in a package for Aldridge. Don't know how I feel about giving up Asik for Josh Smith. I still feel like Paul Millsap is going to be the better value contract to Josh Smith and if we are going to move Jeremy out, I'd like to see if we could trade Jeremy, White, and Smith out for a re-signed Millsap while still retaining Asik and the young PFs for a later acquisition. I'd rather pay Millsap $40 million/4 yrs than to pay Smith $50 mil/4 years and not have Asik because we had to trade Asik to get Smith.

I don't see us going into 2014 with cap space. I don't see Morey clearing cap to make a run at a free agent in 2014. I think Morey maximizes his assets and chases trades once he signs Dwight.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

He's Dwight Howard -- the best big man on the planet.

I'd satisfy any request he puts forward.

time to trade royce white donatas motiejunas jeremy lin and omer asik's asses away

royce white motiejunas are total busts jeremy lin is overpaid i love omer asik please stay but we have to trade you so we can get that 3rd max contract

17. Raven

Raven Member

Offering Dwight the max is one thing, letting him dictate roster moves is something else. For the Rockets to add a third max, they'd have to jettison too much of their depth.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Dwight and his folks are smart enough to know of who else is out there. Obviously they know Lebron, Melo, Paul, etc. aren't going anywhere for awhile. So Dwight was obviously hinting at someone he already has in mind.... most likely Josh Smith.

When Daryl was asked about it, all he has to say is that its something they are already planned to do, but he needs to make sure they are clear that he isn't going to make the trades necessary until Dwight has verbally & publicly committed to Houston.

I do think that the plan all along was to sign Dwight, and then use Asik & maybe Lin in trades to seek out another star player. Im not sure if its always been Josh Smith... it could have been LMA, Cousins, or maybe even Danny Granger, but if Smith is the guy that Dwight wants them to go after and he can be had in a S&T with Atlanta, I think Morey is going to be for it.... Dwight just needs to have insurance that this is something already in the works.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

1) Yes the Rockets could offer a 3rd max contract by trading Lin and Asik.

2) Out of all the other teams that Dwight is publicly meeting with, only Golden State has 2 other "stars" on the team for Dwight to team up with, and that is if you consider David Lee a star. Playing for the Warriors means a huge pay cut since he would still be paying California state income tax and the much higher living expenses there compared to Texas. And the Lakers would have to want the package Golden State is offering over just getting the cap space from Dwight's expiring.

3) Dallas may have zero stars depending on how Dirk bounces back next year at age 35 coming off a season where he wasn't an all star or all nba player. Even if he does bounce back, he isn't likely to sustain that level for 2-3 more years, and 2 years is likely the amount of time it would take to get a 3rd star.

The idea that he would want to go to Dallas where he could completely be "the man" and have the team built around him in the future just doesn't make any sense to me. He had zero interest in even meeting with the Rockets last year when they could have done that. He has zero interest in meeting with the Celtics this year who still have Rondo and could do that. So what is appealing about rebuilding in Dallas? As soon as any team adds 2 other stars he won't automatically be "the man" any more, unless those "stars" are significantly worse than him.

4) The Lakers with Kobe out will have arguably zero stars to team with Dwight next year, though Pau will still be paid like one and has the talent to show flashes when used in offensive sets that play to his strengths. There isn't much to suggest they will be better without Kobe for most of the year, and with everyone a year older.

5) Atlanta has zero stars under contract. Could resign Josh Smith, but according to cyberx, Dwight doesn't care that much one way or the other about playing with him, and other teams like the Rockets could also potentially sign Smith.

I just don't see having 3 stars being a precondition of joining any team, because outside of David Lee and Curry with Golden State, none of the teams have 2 other stars for him to team up with already.

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Bogus, we need to pay Chandler and use him as that 3rd guy. This guy guards like Pippen, Rodman, and does more than other 3rd max guy.