1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI.com: Why the Suns are struggling to take the next step

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 28, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Bledsoe is the one that gets dealt at the deadline, and the Suns are again in the driver seat to resign Gogi in the offseason. Then all this goes away. Gogi gets his new and improved team back, and gets paid by the team that has arguably the most to spend.

Bledsoe arguably can net them more in a trade that can help round out their roster better.

The Rockets best hope for getting either player has to be via a 3rd team that can get the Suns the star Big Man that they are dying to get. I think Kevin Love is atop of their list, but that's going to be a tough one to get. A potentially attainable 2nd option for them might actually be Kenneth Faried. David Lee might also be an option.

The Rockets are the perfect 3rd party facilitator because they can give up the expiring contracts to that 3rd team looking to shed salary by giving up their expendable big man. However if its Bledsoe they actually want to move (good possibility), that makes it a little more challenging for the Rockets to get involved. Many of those deals will be able to be had with a straight up swap. Still there is hope with either player.

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>VIDEO: Suns’ Goran &amp; Zoran Dragic compete at everything, including pop-a-shot <a href="http://t.co/AB3RkJMpNx">http://t.co/AB3RkJMpNx</a> <a href="http://t.co/pnKawVMJCl">pic.twitter.com/pnKawVMJCl</a></p>&mdash; Bleacher Report NBA (@BR_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/BR_NBA/status/551108958589427712">January 2, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If the Suns decide Bledsoe is the guy they want to move and Boston wants him then there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop that. In addition to their own picks, I know Boston is loaded with second round picks. I'm sure a low 1st rounder and a few second rounders could do it.

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Yes I wanted to elaborate on that: In February PHX will have to see if their vision includes Dragic, Bledsoe or Thomas. I think they will most certainly trade one of those three and Bledsoe will fetch them the most out of any deal. The problem are the targets (big men) or actually lack of them. If they can't bring in a big man by February's deadline, they will probably trade one of the three PGs for assets (favourable contracs, picks...) and Houston has enough of that.

I actually think either Bledsoe or Thomas will be moved. Bledsoe and Thomas can't start together because noone can guard the 2 and if they let Thomas come off the bench, they will have to start Green who expires at end of season.

Bledsoe also has an injury history and Thomas doesn't involve others enough. Dragic has none of these problems, can play and cover SGs (although his defense is nothing to write home about) and can run the offense in a pinch.

5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

But this means Phoenix is still rebuilding, which clearly isn't when you look at Thomas trade and multiple signings (Bledsoe, Tucker, twins). Also PHX has enough picks of their own, with Lakers Top5 protected being the most coveted one.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You guys that believe someone will accept Bledsoe and his contract in a trade are dreaming. Suns are stuck with him. Perhaps they could move Isiah Thomas but even that would be hard. Dragic is the only one of the 3 worth a dime as trade material.

If Dragic is the guy they want to retain the most, it was monumentally stupid of them to give Bledsoe $70 million, Thomas $27 million and draft Tyler Ennis in the 1st round.

Dragic will be traded to someone by the deadline and hopefully it's the Rockets.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I agree in that Bledsoe will be the last one dealt if the Suns are going to trade anyone. That contract will not age well. Thomas' deal isn't all that bad and I think can get dealt.

The reason why the Suns are struggling to take the next step is because they don't know how to give out contracts. It's like Rick Smith is running the team during the Texans' offseason.