1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI.com - Rockets could be the 5th seed after acquiring Jim Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mirror_image, Oct 2, 2003.

1. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Link:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/basketball/nba/10/01/houston.preview/index.html

Ready for liftoff
    Rockets ramp up bench in hope of joining West's elite
    Posted: Thursday October 2, 2003 12:44AM; Updated: Thursday October 2, 2003 2:14AM

John Hollinger, SI.com

Rockets at a Glance

Head coach:
    Jeff Van Gundy
    2002-03: 43-39
    2002-03 Stats

Key Additions
    SF Jim Jackson (Kings)
    SG Erick Piatkowski (Clippers)
    SF Adrian Griffin (Mavericks)
    PG Mike Wilks (T'wolves)
    C John Amaechi (Jazz)

Key Losses
    SF James Posey (Grizzlies)
    SF Glen Rice (Jazz)

Projected Lineup
    Starters Reserves
    PG S. Francis M. Wilks
    SG C. Mobley E. Piatkowski
    SF J. Jackson A. Griffin
    PF E. Griffin M. Taylor
    C Y. Ming K. Cato

Last year's Houston Rockets were harder to figure out than Ray Romano's rise to stardom. Despite having two All-Star starters in Steve Francis and Yao Ming, they possessed an innate ability to lose to inferior teams, and somehow avoided making the playoffs.

The two culprits were a weak bench and a non-existent team concept, and the team moved to address both in the offseason. The_supporting cast_was upgraded with the additions of Jim Jackson, Eric Piatkowksi, Adrian Griffin and Mike Wilks in free agency, but the more important addition may be on the sideline. Health problems gave the Rockets a convenient reason to move Rudy Tomjanovich aside; he had won two championships in the '90s,_but the team looked disorganized, and Houston underachieved under his tutelage over the past two seasons.

In his stead, Houston hired Jeff Van Gundy, the former Knicks coach noted for his commitment to defense and feeding the low post. The latter tendency should help Yao, who was ignored for long stretches last season while Francis and Cuttino Mobley took turns going_one-on-five.

The Rockets have other reasons to be excited. Eddie Griffin is an up-and-coming talent at power forward, Francis is a stud at the point, and Yao should be able to step up his game after a year adjusting to American culture and NBA physicality.

Defense. The Rockets weren't known for defense under Tomjanovich. That will change in a hurry under Van Gundy. Trust me.

Van Gundy's ability to inspire defensive fervor is a trait he inherited from his mentor, Pat Riley. Van Gundy's Knicks_consistently_were among the best defensive teams in the league, despite possessing very ordinary talent on that side of the ball. It's no accident that the Knicks declined markedly in that area immediately after he left.

For Houston, the scary part is that the defensive talent is already there. Francis is big, quick and athletic, and is capable of making opposing point guards miserable. Eddie Griffin lacks bulk but is rapidly turning into one of the top shot-blockers in the league. On the wings, Mobley and Adrian Griffin both have outstanding quickness, while Jackson is incredibly strong and moves his feet well. The addition of Wilks, a defense-oriented sparkplug who could beat out incumbent matador Moochie Norris for the backup point guard job, should also help.

But the centerpiece will be Yao, an imposing obstacle at 7-foot-5 who is still learning how to use his size at the NBA level. He showed his potential when he rejected Shaquille O'Neal's first three shots in a matchup early last season, but needs to get more physical and read plays quicker if he's going to be a defensive force. Van Gundy and newly hired assistant Patrick Ewing should help him make this transition.

Passing. One reason Yao didn't see the ball nearly as often as he should have is because he might as well have been playing with Stevie Wonder. Last year's Rockets didn't give up the ball unless someone showed up with a warrant, preferring to dribble the shot clock down and then drive to the basket.

Yao wasn't the only one to suffer. Only_the Heat_had fewer assists than the Rockets a year ago, and the only reason they had less because they couldn't score. The Rockets, on the other hand, were a decent offensive team that just played selfishly. Only 53 percent of their baskets were assisted, which was easily the worst rate in the league.

And the stats didn't lie. Visually, the Rockets played like a team that just met each other a few minutes before tip-off. Other than Yao, no Rocket seemed to have a sense, or even an interest, for what his teammates would do or how to deliver the ball. Francis was the only Rocket to muster even three assists a game, and he only got that many because he had the ball for the first 23 seconds of every possessions.

On the bright side, the new Rockets should help that transition. Jackson is a good passer, and Adrian Griffin is excellent, while Wilks should help simply by virtue of the fact that he never shoots.

Will Yao get the rock? Obviously, Van Gundy faces a challenge in adjusting the mental approach of the team. He wants to play from the inside out, starting the ball in the post with Yao, and then letting him find teammates or shoot high-percentage shots from in close.

But even if Van Gundy succeeds in starting the offense with Yao there's still another level that needs improvement. Any time Mobley or Francis drove to the basket, Yao immediately turned into the world's tallest invisible man. Tomjanovich focused the offense around the guards and ran most of the plays for them, which also contributed.

That explains how Yao could average fewer than 10 field-goal attempts a game despite shooting 50 percent from the floor, 80 percent from the line and having a height advantage against every opponent except Shawn Bradley. Yao is strong enough in the legs to hold his spot in the post, and while he needs to make his moves quicker down low, it seems foolish for Houston to continue ignoring such a potent, high-percentage threat. Running the offense through Yao will help, but the real difference will come when the Rockets look to dish to the big man on their drives to the basket.

:D :D :D Driving for No. 5 :D :D :D The top four teams in the West are way too good for the Rockets. After that, however, they have as much talent as any team in the West. It's almost inconceivable that they could miss the playoffs again with this many weapons, especially given the depth they added in free agency. Van Gundy will add a defensive edge and a team mentality to a squad that was notably lacking in both areas a year ago, and the proof will be in the win column

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

this sounds like this was written by one of our resident whiny b****es, complete with hyperbole and yao-loving/guard hating in full effect, and not by someone writing for a reputable magazine (insert SI joke here from someone).

could be true. can't say i have that much optimism, but i hope he got 4 right.

3. mirror_image

I would not be disappointed even Rockets is a 7th or 8th seed.

Don't forget our ultimate goal is making playoff this year!

Within 5 years, Yao + Steve > Shaq + Kobe, mark my words!

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

It does sound like I wrote it. I just hope Codell sees this and those articles in the Chron. He seem to think that Les was the only one who noticed that Rudy had to go and he was full of excuses. He simply fail to create the atmosphere needed. I figure if SI can suggest top 5 I can suggest top 4. Lets see how they start out.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

We could only hope.

Go Rockets!!

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

thats a very important stat that really points out the main problem
    affecting the team.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

now that i think about it, how did they suggest us as top 5? the lakers, spurs, kings, mavs, and wolves are all better than everyone in the west. easily right now. things could change, teams could not gel, but how are we considered to be with those team in realized potential right now? yao will have to come a long way and the roll players work out very well for us to compete for #5. i just can't picture it happening. but more power to us.

8. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

i can picture it happening, its beautiful, come see, it's like a spring waterfall in the middle of desert, its so refreshing to see, come, turn away your dark outlooks and bask in the light of a new Rocket season.

9. mirror_image

I guess the team that competing with us for the 5th spot is Wolves. Though Michael Olowokandi, Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell are an upgrade for their roster, it is still a big question whether Olowokandi fits to the team and contributes consistently. They should better figure out how to share the ball between Sprewell, Cassell and Garnett.

Based on talent, Wolves is still better than us. But don't forget they pay a lot of luxury tax to support this roster. If we can split the season with Wolves, I would be very satisfied and happy.

Go Rockets!

10. DearRock

I cannot see the wolves being better. And I cannot see the Kings being better. Take a good look at the Kings' depth chart. It is very evident that they have some questions on the 3, depthwise, plus I like our 5, 4, and 1 position over theirs. The 1 is probably debatable. We are a much better defensive team for sure. So why lump King and Wolves in with Lakers, Spurs and Mavs? The latter 3 are clearly in good shape, Kobe's problems not withstanding. After that it looks open to me with the Kings, Wolves, Rockets, Blazers and Suns.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

DearRock:

For every writer that predicts a #5 seed, there will be 10 others who predict something lower.

Besides, JVG said Rudy did an outstanding job last year and has pointed the underachieving finger directly at the players. So no offense, but I am going to stick with JVG's opinion of the Rudy situation over your own.

My response to all the crud that your post from now one will be just 5 words:

Put up, or shut up. ;)

Minny and Sac won't be improved ................:rolleyes:

12. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

:rolleyes: x 1,000,000,000,000

13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I can see how you think Minn will be improved (talentwise definitely better, but will they gel), but I don't think Sac is improved. They are still a better team, but they lost one strength they had over everyone in the league, depth.

14. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

I don't think it's a given at all that Sac will be improved. They lost Pollard, Jackson, and Hedo. They basically added Brad Miller. sure, he's an all-star .. in the east. Does anyone think he is in the West?

Not to mention the fact that Peja's ankle is hurt again.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Kings are worse than last year. they lost some depth (quite a bit), and basically traded out one decent center for another.

15. codell

Bogey,

That is why I think they are improved. Being 10-12 deep does you no good come playoff time (despite what DR thinks), as teams usually go with 8 man rotations anyway.

What they lost in debth, they gained in much needed muscle and toughness in Miller.

Besides. They are still fairly deep. Peja/Webber/Divac/Christie/Bibby/Jackson/Miller/Peeler stack up against any 8 man rotation in the league.

Now, out of the elite top 5, I would say that Sac improved the least though (depending on your view of the trade Dallas made).

16. codell

Jebus,

Pollard and Turkeyglue weren't even in the King's main rotation at the end of the season. So losing them is not a real big deal.

They lost Clark and replaced him with Miller.

They lost JJ and replaced him with Peeler.

Like I said in my previous post, out of the top 5 teams, Sac improved the least and at the very worst, they will be close to being as good as they were last year.

17. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

If that's your opinion, we're pretty much on the same page, then. That's why I said "I don't think it's a given that Sac will be improved", instead of "Sac will definitely be worse than last year"

I was responding to the post where you insinuated (via the rolleyes) that it was a given that the Kings were definitely going to be improved.

mostly the negatives in my post were me hoping for the Kings to be worse.

But seriously, I think they'll be about the same at best. Especially as far as regular season record (and seeding) goes. The super depth may not help in the playoffs, but it does help during the season, which is where the seedings are determined. Weren't we orginally talking about the playoff seedings?

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I LOVE THIS LINE!!

Finally someone notices the 1 on 5 crap....

Now with the added firepower from the bench and JVG running the show, this looks like a promising team!

19. DearRock

Codell, it is not my opinion, it is also Les' and many others. Well if the blame is on the players then we can at least agree that Les did not believe Rudy could change it. In fact it is safe to say, based on what we know now, that the ship was going to sink with my boy as captain.

20. DearRock

I CANNOT SEE THE WOLVES BEING BETTER THAN US. My mistake. I meant better that us; of course they are significantly improved. But so are we. Our changes including the changes in Yao and the addition of JVG are greater than all the changes made by the Wolves.