1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI.com NFL Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by leroy, Feb 11, 2005.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Didn't Seau play in a 3-4 at San Diego?

I see DJ as being an ILB in the 3-4. A Ray Lewis type. A playmaker.

The OLB our the primary pass rushers. The ILB make the takles and cover TEs primarily. I thought the 3-4 was designed to conjest the line and let your linebackers make plays. I see DJ flourishing in that system. Where he can use his speed as an advantage.

I think a big problem with our D was we didn't blitz quite enough. I rarely ever saw any run blitz either.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

To me it seemed Peek was the only one to get consistent pressure. Even when we did blitz it never seemed to make a difference. DJ would be great, he'd defintely be an ILB taking Foreman's place next to Sharper.

While I know many fans are clamoring for help along the D-line I think a Pac-Man Jones would be just as valuable. Not only for KR, (goodbye JJ hello extra roster spot), but having 4 CBs the quality of Faggins, D-rob, Glenn, and Jones would help with QB pressure leading to coverage sacks.

Facing Leftwich and Manning for a good part of the future, I'll put my money into the secondary. The D-line shouldn't be expected to create a lot of pressure just tie up the blockers.

3. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Thomas was a beast. I've been a Chiefs fan most of my life, and I'll never forget the game against the Raiders that he had 7 sacks and called a safety.

If the Texans can get anyone near that good from the draft their defense will be vastly improved.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure the Chargers ran a 4-3 back then and that Seau played on the outside (remember that was back in the days when the only real 3-4 teams were the Steelers & Panthers, pretty much).

I wouldn't say Ray Lewis as Johnson isn't quite as physically and is a little bit leaner - I think maybe Kendrell Bell is the better analogy there.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think DJ will prove to be one of the fastest LBs in years. The guy doesn't wrap up though, but he is a heck of a specimen.

I think Seau was a MLB all the way, not positive though.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Whatever he was, he basically played wherever he felt like it. It was definitely in a 4-3 though.

7. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

This was posted a couple of hours ago on SI.com.

One mock draft had this guy http://www.thehogs.net/Draft/Database/profile.php?id=651 going to the Texans in the 1st. Maybe so?

8. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

No way we draft a WR unless Williams is available and if DJ or an impact DL is available they will be picked 1st before any WR.

9. gr8-1

I don't really consider wr a premium position. Philly and NE both had average wrs (remember Owens was injured) and they both made it to the super bowl. Of course, LB isn't a premium position either.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

NE wouldn't have had home field without TO in the regular season

11. gr8-1

They had home field without TO in 02 and 03. I'm assuming you meant Philly, and not NE, right?

12. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Pending the Combine timings of course, one source claimed Troy Williamson was the fastest WR in the draft. That would give a lot of defenses headaches with AJ on the other side and Gaffney in the middle. All we have to do is keep the other team out of our backfield. However, I tend to trust Charlie et. al. since they have comitted no sins in my eyes yet, except reaching for Boselli. Course it sure would have been nice for Carr if the real Boselli had been covering LT the last three years.

I think whomever wrote the Chronicle piece, no byline, implied that this year there weren't any OL's or DL's worth a 1'st rounder at # 13. So if there is a Best Athelete Available like Troy Williamson, I suggest we grab him. If AJ goes down so does our season because we don't have anyone to come in for him. Now this could all change drastically with Free Agency.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

NE had homefield and did not have TO in the regular season.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Clearly, I meant Philly.

Small wonder you have over 20,000 posts with gems like this one.