1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI.com NFL Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by leroy, Feb 11, 2005.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Mock Draft

We hold the following truth to be self-evident: Some mock drafts wind up doing a little more mocking than others. This is one of those.

To forecast the first round of the NFL Draft even before teams head to Indianapolis and the scouting combine is the height of foolhardy. The opening of free agency is three weeks away, some organizations are just now starting their draft preparation in earnest, and Paul Tagliabue won't clear his throat and step up to the mike for another 71 days.

But no matter. As long as you don't hold me to this first rough "draft" -- trust us, we'll change our mind another 37 times between now and April 23 -- let's give it a whirl, shall we?

The San Francisco 49ers, as they say, are on the clock ...

Mock NFL Draft #1

Pick Team Pos. Player College Class Ht. Wt.

1 San Francisco - QB Aaron Rodgers California Jr. 6-2 210

With no quarterback in this draft judged to be worth No. 1 overall value, the 49ers would be better off to trade down and acquire a package of picks. But with who? If the 49ers stay put, give them the local kid with great accuracy.

2 Miami - RB Cedric Benson Texas Sr. 6-0 225

We're assuming that Nick Saban is going to stick with A.J. Feeley as his starting quarterback. We're assuming that Miami won't make a deal with Buffalo for running back Travis Henry. We're assuming a lot at this point.

3 Cleveland - QB Alex Smith Utah Jr. 6-4 212

With Jeff Garcia slated to be released shortly, the Browns have to consider Smith. But they'd love to trade out of this lofty spot. If they pass on Smith, Florida State offensive tackle Alex Barron would be a reach who fills a need.

4 Chicago - WR Braylon Edwards Michigan Sr. 6-3 206

The Bears lack a playmaker at receiver, and Edwards fits the bill nicely, providing good value for this slot. He has better size and speed than former No. 1 David Terrell, and he's the consensus pick as this draft's top receiver.

5 Tampa - RB Carnell Williams Auburn Sr. 5-11 204
    The Bucs have so many other needs (OT, DT, DB), but with Charlie Garner aging and injury prone, and Michael Pittman probably not the long-term answer, Jon Gruden might take the back he coached at the Senior Bowl.

6 Tennessee - OT Alex Barron Florida State Sr. 6-3 308

The Titans again face cap restraints this offseason. With RT Fred Miller due a $5 million March 1 signing bonus and LT Brad Hopkins 35 in early September, Barron would allow them to replenish at a key position.

7 Oakland - DE Dan Cody Oklahoma Jr. 6-5 205

Cody would fit the hybrid 3-4 the Raiders prefer, and he's their kind of high-motor guy. He did not distinguish himself in the Orange Bowl, but what Sooner did? Auburn RB Ronnie Brown also makes sense here.

8 Arizona - RB Ronnie Brown Auburn Sr. 6-1 224

The Cardinals would do handstands all the way up to the podium if Brown is still available. With Emmitt Smith retired and Dennis Green not in love with Marcel Shipp, the versatile Brown is a no-brainer.

9 Washington - QB Adam Jones West Virginia Jr. 5-11 185

With Champ Bailey leaving last year and Fred Smoot possibly following him out the door via free agency, the Redskins gladly would pick up the draft's high-rated cornerback. Jones is small, but he's fast and plays big.

10 Detroit - CB Antrel Rolle Miami Sr. 6-1 202

The Lions have invested their past four No. 1 picks on offense, so it's time to think defense. Rolle is a big, athletic, physical cover man who plays run defense, too. Thus, some have him as more of a safety in the NFL.

11 Dallas - DE Erasmus James Wisconsin Sr. 6-4 263

The Cowboys' defense slumped badly in 2004, and nobody was a bigger disappointment than newly acquired defensive end Marcellus Wiley. James has some injury concerns, but teams willingly take chances on pass rushers.

12 San Diego - WR Mike Williams USC Jr. 6-5 230

Despite his unexpected one-year hiatus, Williams still is only 21. He's a big, sure-handed receiver in the Michael Irvin mold, and the Chargers need help at receiver, with Keenan McCardell being their dependale wideout.

13 Houston - LB Derrick Johnson Texas Sr. 6-4 235

The Texans won't be able to pass on this home-state star. He's an impact player who can chase the ball all over the field, and he's versatile enough to play in different spots in Houston's 3-4 scheme. Could be a steal if he lasts.

14 Carolina - WR Troy Williamson South Carolina Jr. 6-2 200

This pick is predicated on the Panthers not being able to resign receiver Muhsin Muhammad, who had a monster season after No. 1 receiver Steve Smith was lost for the season. Williamson is the draft's fastest pass-catcher.

15 Kansas City - DE Marcus Spears LSU Sr. 6-3 302

Spears helped himself quite a bit with a strong week at the Senior Bowl, and what team needs more help on defense than the bedraggled Chiefs? Vonnie Holliday hasn't done much since K.C. spent in free agency for him in 2003.

16 New Orleans - S Thomas Davis Georgia Jr. 6-1 230

The Saints might be tempted to look at one of the best remaining defensive linemen, but they've spent heavily there in recent drafts. Davis is a hard-hitting safety who plays like a linebacker, and might be one in the NFL.

I am still predicting that Kansas City trades one of their backs to Miami to get the #2 pick. I think they are clamoring for Derrick Johnson to finally have a replacement for Derrick Thomas. If he made it to #13 for the Texans, that would be a coup, plain and simple, IMO.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

jeebus DJ at #13. Holy Cow. Sign me up. Now!

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah...i wish!!!

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wow, who's the mensa who thinks DJ will last past the 10th pick? This would be an absolute steal and would be the perfect fit for our 3-4 D.

It ain't gonna happen.

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Are we going to bring back Bell and/or Deloach?

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Ditto.

I could not belive my eyes. I thought he'd never drop below #5. That would be a felonious steal. Ridiculous...

7. superden

superden Contributing Member

if we get dj...omg, that would make my day... ive been watching him play since ive been going to UT... it would be great to see a fellow longhorn go TEXAN.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Right, so the player that, in 2004, won the Butkus Award, the Bronko Nagurski Award, and was a candidate for National Player of the Year is going to drop to #13?

Thanks for playing, SI. :rolleyes:

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Mel Kiper, in one of his mocks, also had DJ dropping to the Texans.

Consensus is that DJ will be picked between between 8-13.

I think its still a reach, but I dont think its certain that DJ will be picked before we go. Just look at team needs and thats why DJ can drop. Not because of a lack of talent, but because the teams that pick ahead of us have greater needs at other positions.

10. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

If DJ does srop I say pick him up.

I would rather fix up the O and D line with FA.

He would be a great fit as an inside linebacker.

11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Is this a typo, or is like that QB that went pro a few years ago only to be drafted by the Rams to play safety? His name completely escapes me right now, but he just signed with the Chiefs.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Are you talking about Eric Crouch? He is a pretty good athlete but seems to lack heart.

13. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

It is a typo, 'PAC MAN' Jones is all CB. One Draft has him falling to the Texans! I don't know if he is as good as Dunta Robinson, but he is in the vacinity.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If it were a choice between Pac Man and DJ, I'd still go with DJ. I think he is more of an impact player. The Texans still have at least 1-2 more productive seasons out of Glenn. Faggins is in line to take his place. All that is needed right now is some depth at DB and that doesn't have to come from the first round.

15. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

Whose pick did the Chargers get to be #12 in the draft?

16. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

The Giants; from the Manning deal last year.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Linebackers always tend to drop, there is a school of thought that they are easy to find which is why DL's & cover corners tend to dominate the first round.

Plus there are a few knocks on him that scouts have raised - namely that he's not going to get away with not wrapping up in the NFL and that he doesn't do the best job of shedding blockers.

18. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Appreciate your posting. I was not advocating drafting him, just answering the other poster's question.

IMO we have more pressing needs than CB. I really think it falls to what we do in Free Agency that will determine our draft needs. We are almost at the point where Best-Available-Athelete is what we really take in the 1st round and fill in back-ups with lower rounds. I think that the draft this year is weak in some positions, and we don't need to reach like we used to do. If DJ falls to us and he is the BAA then we can always use a good impact LB, but if there is a better athlete available then take him. We need OL, DL, WR, S or you name it.

19. sydmill

sydmill Member

Does anybody else feel like DJ could be similar to Derrick Thomas if we moved him to the out side of the 3-4? Thomas was an inch shorter and 10 lbs. heavier in his prime, but DJ will put on much more than 10 lbs. over the next few years. Getting a guy as versatile as DJ would push our D into another class and hopefully get us atleast two more wins and a playoff berth.

Wallker Payne Smith
    DJ Wong Sharper Babin
    Glenn Robinson
    Earl Coleman

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He would be wasted as a 3-4 OLB IMO, he's too good at pass coverage and playing in space and is simply not big enough to take on 350 lb OT's at the point of attack from a 3-point stance

He is much better when he is protected by a DL (like he generally was at UT) where he can play back and then fly in and shoot the gaps make a hit - and generally he should freelance a la Junior Seau, for example. Actually, the best comparison I would make would probably be Wilbur Marshall (when he was awesome with the Bears & Redskins, not broken down with the Oilers). Johnson really is the prototype weakside 4-3 backer.

Plus the Texans already have youngsters to develop at that position in Peek & Babin - neither of whom will do anything if the DL remains a huge weakness (Walker and Payne need to be replaced) - not to mention the OL.

IIRC Derrick Thomas was a 4-3 DE by the end of his career and was closer to 250-260.