1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[SI.COM] John Lopez: Rockets championships are tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djohn2o12, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

I'm zipping up my flame suit, because I know this guy is the worst person in Houston, just giving something to talk about

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/05/13/chokes/index.html

2. Raven

Raven Member

One word.

Hack

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

He has it backwards, Michael Jordan left the game because he was scared of facing Houston.

What an ass. The guy is a douche.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

John Lopez is a flaming douchebag

5. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I am going to find a way to urinate on this man. I may be able to accomplish this by stalking him to some bar or restaurant, going to the restroom at the same time he does, and then "accidentally" unleashing a stream of urine on him from the urinal next to him.

I have a mighty weiner and powerful bladder, so it will be like blasting him with a firehose filled with pee pee. Then I will laugh uproariously while shouting, "JOHN P. LOPEZ, DOES YOUR MIDDLE INITIAL STAND FOR PEE PEE?! BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE NOW BEING OVERWHELMED WITH! LOL?! ROFL?! PEE!?"

7 people like this.
  6. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I'm no baseball buff, but didn't the Astros go on to win that series and advance to the WS? I stopped reading at that point.

7. Nero

Nero Member

How many cities would trade for Houston's 2 championships?

Plus, the old 'Jordan was retired' trope is just one of those things that people will be able to argue about into eternity, which really, honestly, is probably a good thing. This keeps those years alive in perpetuity, since it will forever be unsettled.

However, clearly, the one team in the league which Chicago was afraid of was Houston, during their championship years, and whether Jordan had retired or not, it was always Seattle which broke Houston's hearts, or else we would have had more than two rings, and the Bulls a lot less.

Now, as to the Astros and Oilers? Yeah, can't argue about that. 35-3 anyone?

Oh yeah: SELL, DRAYTON! SELLLLLL!!!!

2 people like this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

absolutely. it was a dumb article already....but to call them chokers for giving up a HR in a series they ultimately won??? that clinched the pennant?? he's got it backwards...they were clutch as nails by coming out in the next game in St. Louis and absolutely shutting the redbirds down.

this is the same lopez who said the astros were discriminatory to hispanics.

this guy gets paid to hate on houston sports in houston...it's his schtick. it's pretty tired.

monsters of the midday remains the worst show in the history of sports radio...anywhere.

9. Southern Select

Exactly.

Hakeem was tearing apart the NBA while Jordan was doing nothing. Jordan was the loser. MJ also lost to the Magic in the playoffs the year of our second championship.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Seems like this guy is the equivalent of an attention-whoring troll on this BBS, except that he has his own column to do it.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I Implore all of you. DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK.

By clicking on this link you are giving hits to an idiot who is just trying to stir up the pot and gain more hits for his fail-tastic articles. You think he knows anything about the NBA? You think he considers Houston sports to be anywhere near on par with the rest of the Big media markets? No. He doesn't give a ****, nor should he because his feeble brain is too inadequate to comprehend sports teams existing outside of the almighty Dallas Cowboys, the San Antonio Spurs, and probably a few select teams in large markets like LA or New York.

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK AND GIVE THIS MORON THE SATISFACTION OF GETTING THOUSANDS OF HITS FROM PISSED OFF ROCKETS FANS.

Lopez may be an idiot but now he's just grasping for straws, and whats even more hilarious is that this certified hack didn't even invent this concept of trashing the Rockets to gain hits (Jerome Solomon anyone?)

Lopez is the biggest moron involved with Sports, he makes Richard Justice and Rich Lord look like Einstein and Hawking. I would rather perform a partial birth abortion on a litter of kittens than listen to this rambling asshat go on for 30 minutes about who he knows and what celebrities he's hung out with. Guess what John? Nobody gives a flying ****. You moved over to 610 with the rest of yesterday's trash like Barry Warner and Rich Lord. Who cares who you know? You're in journalism, of course you know plenty of people. God only knows how you got to where you are today because your sports intelligence rivals that of a petrified piece of driftwood.

Again I repeat... DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK... DO NOT SUPPORT LAZY, REACTIONARY-BASED HACK JOURNALISM.

1 person likes this.
  12. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Woah woah woah, I understand what you're trying to say but let's not get over our heads here.

From the '86 season to the '92, dude was averaging well over 30 points, while shooting over 50% from the field. I really wouldn't classify that as him "doing nothing".

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think he's talking about the 1994 season. hakeem showed up and dominated. mj didn't. we can talk about what might have been all we want...but what happened is what happened.

he did show up for 1995...he was awesome, but it wasn't enough because the bulls had zero frontcourt presences....Horace Grant was busy playing for the Magic and beating his old team in the playoffs. no way that Bulls squad was going to beat a team with Grant and Shaq down low....no answer for that. then they got rodman.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Agreed. he did it so that it would be posted on this BBS and he'd pick up a few extra hits.

He's trying to squeeze the last few dollars out of the disappearing profession of being a paid journalist, now obviously doing it online on a part-time basis since FT gigs have become virtually extinct.

Doesn't he have a Texas A&M degree? I'm sure that's good for somethng else, help him to continue his life transition by not clicking the link.

I'm sure he's reading this thread too, so John, if you're out there, I would urge you not to add an MBA from University of Phoenix, place is a scam.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's what I thought too. How is it a "choke" when we WON THE SERIES?? I guess by Lopez's logic the 94 Rockets are "chokers" too, since they lost Game 2 at home to the Knicks....

And the Renfro catch wasn't a "choke", it was a bad call by the ref. How does that translate to a "choke"? :confused:

Agree with moe, don't click that link. The OP should take it out of the post.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I would like to ask Clutch to restrict all John Lopez articles from being posted on this BBS.

This is an obvious ploy to gain hits by writing about topics sure to incite the wrath of the Houston sports fan. It is absolutely pathetic.

Marc VanDermeer should be given a Congressional Medal of Honor for having to sit by this cockflounder for 4 hours a day.

17. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I know New York would. They were so convinced when Jordan "retired" that they finally had it in the bag after losing to the Bulls so many times. I firmly believe that if the Knicks had won it at least one of those two years, NO ONE would be talking about asterisks or tainted championships. Instead they'd be fawning over the Knicks finally realizing their dream and ascending back to the NBA elite, Patrick Ewing being validated, the eternal greatness of New York sports, blahblahblah. But Houston's in Texas and it's not a media capital, so the Rockets get dismissed as a "plucky" team that took unfair advantage.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You guy do know he's from San Antonio.

**** this hack.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes they did. They lost in the World Series but they still wont the Cardinals series. However Lidge would go into a serious funk because of the Pujols factor that would require him to get traded. He got alot more consistent the Phillies but still was never had the dominance that he had before Pujols lit him up and destroyed his confidence.

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

How does this guy still have a job?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.