1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI.com] Astros Offer Preston Wilson to Yankees

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Jul 24, 2006.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Really no details as to who the Astros asked for in return, but this does validate that the Astros are willing to move an outfielder to open up some more playing time for Luke Scott.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Please, please, please let this happen.

There's no player more overvalued by Astros fans than Preston. If we could sell high based on his flukish RISP numbers, acquire a couple of quality prospects and put a better hitter out there in his place (Ensberg if healthy, Scott if not), that would help this team immensely. It also would add additional payroll flexibility if we're serious about trying to make a move for Tejada or someone like that.

Preston's gone after this season anyway - there's no way we'll pick up the option. He's been a disappointment on the field. There are viable alternatives if we lose him (likely better alternatives). If Purpura can pull this off and get anything useful in return, he'll have earned a lot of respect from me.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Preston and Endsberg for A-Rod, sign me up...

4. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I found this part of the article interesting too:

"The San Diego Padres are working overtime to line up a third baseman. The trade bait is fine setup reliever Scott Linebrink, and their best options appear to be either Wilson Betemit or the diminishing Morgan Ensberg, with some Padres people apparently preferring the more versatile Betemit.

How far has Ensberg fallen, only a year after finishing fourth in NL MVP voting? Before going on the disabled list with what was reported to be a shoulder contusion, Ensberg, who still had 19 home runs, had hit .157 with only two home runs in the preceding 27 games. The club has performed two MRIs and found nothing amiss, spawning league speculation that the problem is partly mechanical or mental.

Astros GM Tim Purpura was asked about the suspicion that more than just his shoulder is bothering Ensberg, and Purpura pointed out that the slump "coincided with the injury.'' And Purpura added, "The positive thing is there's no structural damage. He reports that he's still sore. You've got to listen to what your players tell you.'' "

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Preston is one of the better Astros hitters but if you could trade him, I am all for it because I think Scott could be better than him.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Good...we should keep Ensberg anyways so he can shut the naysayers up when his shoulder fully heals and he comes back around. Just because he's had two negative MRIs doesn't mean he isn't hurt and that shoulder isn't affecting his swing.

While I like Wilson, I think it would be good to move him and give Scott more of a chance, while keeping our other strong hitters in the lineup (Burke and Lamb), plus it leaves the possibility open of Lane returning again if he figures it out or signing a better bat in the ofseason. It's a move that might not necessarily improve (depending on Scott) the team in the short-term (but probably longterm) but definitely won't hurt.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Um, who exactly has "overvalued" Preston Wilson?

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Wasnt this the same Luke Scott that tore it up in spring training, earned a starting OF position opening day - only to fail miserably at the ML level?

Id keep Preston Wilson folks.

10. Hakeem's Dream

I am with you 100%. You are a smart JYD.

11. Hakeem's Dream

i would love for him to stay but i think if given the opportunity to play for the yanks he would be all over it.

12. Major

Major Member

When Ensberg comes back, Huff needs a place to play. Move Wilson and you solve that.

13. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

14. Hakeem's Dream

True, but what with Luke Scott?

15. Ra Ooh La La

Ra Ooh La La Contributing Member

Just move Taveras now, and the Astro's "ethnic cleansing" will be complete . . . This team is unbelievably disgusting.

16. msn

msn Member

stupid post.

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You're right, the fact that they are both allegedly being shopped has nothing to do with the fact that they both suck.

18. Hakeem's Dream

Oh come on, get real.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you're an idiot.