1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI.Com Article - "NBA Regular Season is Meaningless"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MadMax, Oct 1, 2010.

1. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'm OK with the season as is. In fact -- I miss it and can't wait for it to start! I think the playoffs are too long. Too many off days.

and if I can take a dig at MLB ;) -- you do see writers and fans clamoring for less games. So much so that you're more likely to see empty ballparks (even when the tickets are sold) then you are in the NBA.

You've a good recent history in Houston of September games actually meaning something -- that's not the case in may (empty!) ballparks.

2. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

They need to have less games, e.g. 58 games. They also need to make regular season count. Teams' revenue and players' salary scales with their total win, of course add some weight to playoff games.

Right now, players' income are barely affected by their success.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm with adeelionaire, I just like watching Rockets basketball. Any Rockets basketball.

4. mazyar

mazyar Member

I'm with clos4life. I really enjoy watching pro basketball. I can't stand the ofseason. The more games the better.

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

yea why dont we just make 16 games over 17 weeks like the NFL, everyone would love that. Oh thats right even the NFL wants to play more games. More games = more fun. Sure the rockets were out of it early this season, but the games were still exciting.

now teams like the clipper and twolves that are consistently bad are just cheating their customers because of poor management skills.

6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

this... its fine the way it is IMO

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bull****...

I would shoot myself If I couldn't watch my Rox 82 times a year.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

The solution isn't to decrease the amount of games in the regular season, it's to decrease the amount of teams (and consequently, the number of games) in the playoffs. The NBA is the only major U.S. sport where more teams go to the playoffs than don't. It's ridiculous.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

40 game seasons with a 8 team playoff system.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Same, 82 is perfect for me

11. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Simple solution:

- Shorten the pre-season to 4-5 games

- Play an 86 game schedule with 4 games vs each team in your conference + 2 games vs each team out of conference.

That would eliminate playing certain teams in your conference only 3 times.

12. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Lol...

Nobody is with Mazyar.

1 person likes this.
  13. dback816

dback816 Member

Wow less games? Really? So if I miss a few games due to work, sick, lazy, being kidnapped, I would miss out even more of the season relatively speaking?

Hell no.

82 games is fine as it is.

If they want less games, they better take a pay cut and give me NBA TV for free.

14. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

LMAO! Hockey?!

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I really don't wanna make this thread about baseball..but where do you see baseball writers asking for less games?

Baseball fans are usually traditionalists...162 games have given rise to numbers with meaning (.400; 61 HR; etc). Baseball, more than the other sports, lives in its own history...it's the context for all of it. I can't imagine a major MLB writer for ESPN or any of the other major outlets/newspapers writing an article similar to the one in this thread, suggesting less games.

As for the article...the more I think of it, I'm fine with 82 games if they eliminate some playoff spots and put a premium on that.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm with the thadeus, I really enjoy your mother.

Btw, I think 82 games is fine with more length (which could lead to fewer back to backs), shorter playoffs, and fewer playoff teams.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont mind playing 82 games in the season, but get less playoffs games, especially in the 1st round.

I would prefer less teams in the playoffs than less games in regular season.
    It would be better less teams, because in the East even when you had more losses than wins, you could still get to the playoffs.

18. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

same regular season games, same playoff format. maybe less back to backs cos it can favor one team over another when it comes down to playoff seedings.

also i havent been interested in the allstar weekend for a few yrs now. i dont wish it to be removed cos i know itll help the league to showcase their stars, but wondering, who else feels this way abt it?

19. Dei

Dei Member

Anybody care to give a tl;dr version?

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

There needs to be about 10-20 less games during the regular season. It tends to get unexciting between late December through early February. Then All Star Weekend comes up and the season gains flair again.

In addition, I think only six teams should make the playoffs per conference. The two top ranked teams should get first round byes.

Most importantly though, they should correct the huge blunder they made and move the first round of playoffs back to a 5 game series. It's so unnecessary watching a 7 game first round series. I tend to watch less later on because the initial playoff excitement hardly lasts past the first round. If that round was shorter, I would be a lot more interested later on. This might also have to do with the fact that the Rockets almost never advance anymore... but :eek: