1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI.com] Ariza hoping move to Houston is move toward bigger role as player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Sep 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ThaBlackKnight

I think Ariza was a little overrated on a very talented Lakers title team...but with that being said, I hope he works hard and improves his game to being a very solid player.

I doubt he'll ever be an elite long wing like Tmac, Lebron, Durant, Melo, etc.

However, I think he could become a more explosive and athletic version of Tayshaun Prince, if he works hard at his game.

I think if he plays with Battier, his defense will improve, since he will be taught fundamentals and won't have to rely on gambling so much.

Offensively, he may not do so much by himself, but in an offense that creates lay ups and gives players freedom, I think he will have scoring opportunities.

Think Scottie Pippen in Chicago...we all saw how ineffective he was scoring in an iso setting with Houston.

But under Phil Jackson and the triangle offense, he was able to move without the ball, and get lay ups, dunks, and mid range jumpers and he learned how to use the glass very well. Only by 95 or 96 did he really start shooting a lot of 3 pointers.

The one thing I am impressed with by Ariza already is his athleticism and ability to finish strong above the rim. Make him the feature man in RA's offense and with a quick penetrating guard like Brooks and a post option in Scola and eventually a healthy Tmac, Ariza can focus on slashing and shooting shots inside of 15 feet or at the basket.

In my opinion he'll never be an all star, but he can be a very good role player. Just hope people don't expect him to be a healthy tmac just because of his size and athleticism...he simply doesn't have the skill.

I think he can be similar to Tayshaun Prince or Pre-1994 Scottie Pippen offensively and defensively...key words are CAN BE

1 person likes this.
  2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I'm glad that Trevor wants to take on a bigger role, but I still have to wonder, which swingman goes to the bench when T-Mac returns? Last year, the plan was to bring Artest off the bench. Are we going to do the same thing with Trevor?

I doubt he'd be satisfied with that when you at his reasons for signing with us.

3. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

I can't wait when we face LA this season.

4. DreamRoxCoogFan

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Good points but I think the main thing is that we got on the cheap. 5 Mill is nothing to sneeze at, but if you think about it he will essentially make as much as Jason Kapono or Kyle Korver. Heck just add 2 million and he makes as much as freakin' Cook. As DM said, at his price TA is worth it on defense alone, and if he develops an offensive game it will just be gravy

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like the fact he wants to do more and is prepping to do so. I said it when he signed that he's a ronnie brewer/prince type. That is the kinda guy the rox shouldve drafted in 06 and we wouldn't need ariza. I'm glad he's up to the challenge and hopefully his playoff success continues.

8. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

I was skeptical of the signing at the time, and I still am, but I hope he proves me wrong. I was just thinking, if he had this same offseason and a healthy tmac and yao instead of the current injured ones, I would love this move alot more. I think with a healthy team, trevor would compliment our team alot better than artest and would be an upgrade. I just dont know if he can provide the consistent scoring punch that we need at this time. This entire offseason would have been a dream with a healthy tmac and yao to go along with the peices we acqired.

9. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

hopefully he will be like a danny granger type player. We need a star on this team. Hopefully McGrady will continue to shine when he gets back but right now, Scola, Battier, Ariza, Brooks and Lowry are the only one we got. But we do have a tough team so lets hope for the best.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Anyone want to post the article? I'm have a life-long vendetta against si since they screwed the Rockets over after the first championship and I refuse to ever buy their magazine or click on their website.

11. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Oh, O RLY bird, how I missed you.

12. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I think people are a bit off on their expectations of Trevor Ariza. We're not giving him superstar money, so we're not really expecting him to become a superstar. He's getting the MLE. We give Shane Battier more than that. At the very least, as Daryl Morey has said, his defensive contributions should make him worth it, and if he grows a la Danny Granger, well, tip your cap to Morey.

13. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Lol, I get it. I was just trying to be a smart ass.

14. rocket3forlife2

That is the key IMO

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

Whether or not it was due to Kobe or other skilled teammates or the planetary alignment or whatever, TA played very well in the playoffs. I suspect he felt undervalued by Lakers management, and has a little chip on his shoulder. Let's hope so.

16. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

I wonder how can a guy who cant create his own shot and can barely be able to hit contested jumpers can have a big role on our team.

17. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

He is going to be exposed BADLY!

He better hope McGrady comes back to create for him.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

[​IMG]

-Bird immitating Rick Adelman

19. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I'm willing to give him a couple seasons, but I think he is here to be Battier's protege as Battier is beginning to get up their in age. Sorta like how San Antonio has been pruning Ime Udoka to mirror Bruce Bowen. I can't see him being a perennial All-Star, but a guy with almost, but not quite that quality talent. He will be the sidekick to whoever the next McGrady on our squad is, assuming Yao comes back.

Here's to praying Yao stays healthy, stays in Houston, signs his extension for less than what his max offer can be. God I want to see Yao holding that Larry O'Brien trophy one day.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He could be a valuable piece in the future. Currently, he is just another guy with limited offensive talent on this team.

I don't see how he is any more motivated to improve his game now than he would have been a year or two or three or four ago when he was trying to simply stay in the league. If that didn't motivate him to improve then I doubt the security of a long term, big money deal will.

Not that I don't think he tried before to improve over the summer. That's actually part of the problem. I'm sure he has busted his tail every summer for the last five years and yet he is still a spot up shooter who has not learned to dribble.