1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shreveport Times]Swift ready to hitmarket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050701/SPORTS/507010344/1001/SPORTS

Swift ready to hitmarket
    Ex-Fair Park,LSU star becomesNBA free agent today.
    July 1, 2005
    By Scott Ferrell

sferrell@gannett.com

Stromile Swift knows the recruiting game. He played it when he came out of Fair Park High School in 1998 before signing a scholarship with LSU.

He'll play it again beginning today as the NBA's free agency period begins.

Teams can open negotiations with players today, but cannot sign players until July 22 because of the time needed to put the league's new collective bargaining agreement into writing.

Swift is an unrestricted free agent and considered to be one of the top free agent forwards on the market. USA Today ranked Swift among the top 15 available free agents.

Just where Swift will land is anyone's guess.

However, the chance of Swift returning to the Memphis Grizzlies is not good.That much was evident when the Grizzlies used their first-round pick on Syracuse forward Hakim Warrick.

Swift is a 6-foot-9 forward. Warrick is a 6-9 forward.

Grizzlies President Jerry West told Memphis reporters it was no coincidence the team took Warrick. After all, Swift is an unrestricted free agent.

So if not Memphis, then where for Swift?

He has long been rumored to be headed to his home state to play for the Hornets in New Orleans. He gave a reporter a half grin last spring when asked about signing with the Hornets as a free agent.

The Hornets certainly should have money to be players in the free-agent market.

They have an estimated $11 million in cap space. The team will also have an additional $5 million to spend on free agents for midlevel exceptions.

Thus, the Hornets should have money to make a run at Swift.

"I'll give it a lot of thought, look at everything that's out there and whatever works best for me, that's the decision I'll make,'' Swift said.

The Hornets aren't the only team expected to show interest in Swift.

The New Jersey Nets are also in the market for a power forward and could target Swift along with Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Donyell Marshall as possible free-agent signees.

"We certainly need another big player,'' Nets President Rod Thorn said. "We're still a small team right now.''

Swift averaged 10.1 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season with the Grizzlies. Abdur-Rahim averaged 16.8 points and 7.3 rebounds with the Portland Trail Blazers and Marshall averaged 11.5 points and 6.6 rebounds with the Toronto Raptors.

Swift and Marshall could also be targeted by the Houston Rockets, who are in the market for a power forward.

Two teams with plenty of salary cap room could also show interest in Swift. The Seattle SuperSonics have a reported $21 million in salary cap space while the second-year Charlotte Bobcats have $20 million in cap space.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I can get a FREE $15 Best Buy card, how?
    Subscribe to The Times! Click here to start your subscription.
    固he Shreveport Times
    July 1, 2005

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I was under the impression that if you're under the cap, you don't get the MLE. Can anyone enlighten on this?

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think you're right, but I don't know what the rule is if you go over the cap by signing a player that offseason. It may be that they sign Swift with all their FA money (ridiculous, but for example sake), then the get the exceptions to use at that point...i have no idea though.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought so too, so I looked it up. The answer is mixed. Essentially, you add all the team's exceptions to their salaries. If they are still under the cap, they lose their exceptions; if they are over the cap with exceptions added in, then they keep the exceptions. So, teams that are $20 million under don't have an MLE. But, then the guys who are $20 million under are only hypothetically under because they still hold slots for their own FAs. So, Cleveland might have an MLE right now because Ilgauskas has such a large cap-hold (I'm not sure). If all their FAs signed elsewhere or were renounced, they'd lose the MLE (and the million dollar exception and their trade exceptions too).

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#18

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We are not getting Swift (he's getting paid), and from the sound of the Anderson article, we probably won't get him either. That leaves Marshell, Haslim, SAR as the most likely free agent pf targets. We should also consider the likelyhood of a trade for a non-free agent 4. I think we should sign the best free agent we can to the MLE, even if he's a 1, or a 2/3. We still have a chance to trade for a 4.