1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should've never traded Rudy Gay. Morey never would've never made that trade.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AKRocketsFan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

if we are going to play hypotheticals, it's likely that we wouldn't even be playing utah if rudy gay was the team instead of battier, remember there's 82 games to play to determine seedings.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So you don't think rafer,shane,luther and chuck were not in the same boat? I guess shane scoring 20 1 game and going on to avg 7 ppg wasn't a problem? I guess hayes being a total 0, but it wasn't expecting of him to score didn't have anything to do with it? You can't blame 1 without blaming all the role players because when 4 gys score in a playoff game, its a problem.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Hypothetical evidence is always a good basis for an argument.

4. leebigez

I guess you're right o great one. I want to know how would tracy and rudy take away from yao's emergence as a leader? i want to know when did this emergnce take place?

5. trugoy

trugoy Member

point blank question;

would we have had better regular season records with rudy gay in the past 3 seasons?

6. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Since Gilbert Areanas is rated 121 in Yahoo fantasy, I think the Wizards should trade him for Luke Ridnour who is 59th.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

When the trade went down I thought we would regret it down the line, because I didnt know Battier's game well. I'm still waiting...Rudy Gay is a nice player but will never amount to the contract he is going to get. He is well on his way to becoming the next Marbury, Randolph, etc.

As I was watching Gay tonight trying to be hero and jacking up contested threes against the Cavs, I could help but thank god we didnt get stuck with this wasted lazy talent.

Heres an Hollinger's opinion:

2008-09 season: Gay took a step backward in his third season, probably so he could launch another contested 18-foot fadeaway, and he's well on his way to becoming one of the league's most overrated players. He continually settled for long J's and mailed it in on defense, and one wonders if the nightly beatings in Memphis sucked the competitive juices out of him.

Gay also has developed some serious tunnel vision at the offensive end. Three different times he took more than 20 shots without a single assist; for the year he had the worst pure point rating among small forwards. He assisted on only 7.7% of his possessions, a worse rate than Darko Milicic's or Darrell Arthur's, but the real bizarre part is all the turnovers. For a guy who didn't pass the ball and mostly took 20-footers, Gay experienced an awful lot of trouble keeping the ball -- his turnover rate rated 50th among small forwards.

More than half his shots were jumpers, and while he shoots well from outside, there was little chance of him replicating his splendid 2007-08 percentage on long 2s (45.4 percent). He didn't, dropping to 41.0 percent. While he hit a respectable 35.1 percent of his 3s, all those long 2s left him with an ordinary true shooting percentage.

Scouting report: Gay is 6-9 with long arms and good leaping ability, so he should be an excellent defensive player. Instead, he's terrible, as his effort level fails to rival his talent level. His size grants him an edge in challenging shots and he'll pick up blocks and steals. However, he tends to give up as soon as he hits a screen, especially off the ball, and opponents beat him off the dribble much more easily than one would expect.

Additionally, he's an unmotivated help defender who usually just hangs out on the weak side. The proof is in the pudding: The Grizzlies allowed 9.3 points more per 100 possessions with him on the court, even worse than his 8.0 differential from a year earlier.

Offensively, Gay puts the "I" in "isolation," facing up on the left side and shooting come hell or high water. He has a high-arching shot that he can make off the dribble or off the catch, especially going to his right. His length means he can get the shot off against nearly anyone, but that can be a curse too -- he'll force it early in the clock instead of looking for better opportunities. Finally, Gay exhibits one of the worst cases of dribble blindness in league annals and only passes as a last resort. The result is that opponents feel free to leave their man and steal the ball whenever Gay heads into traffic.

2009-10 outlook: Well, it should be an exciting race between Gay and Zach Randolph to see who can lead the team in 20-point, zero-assist performances. The winner will almost certainly lead the league too.

But maybe Gay will surprise us. He is only 23 and his game is still developing, plus he doesn't have a bad reputation in other respects. Incremental improvement in shot selection and an extra pass here and there would make his offensive game much more palatable, and perhaps the new coaching staff will get more out of him on the defensive end too.

That said, last season set a dangerous precedent, and one hopes it isn't the start of a slippery slope to mediocrity. It would waste a tremendous talent.

8. trugoy

trugoy Member

took place last year when tracy got injured.

If rudy gay was here, Yao's already small number of touches would decrease, true or false?

9. leebigez

I think we wouldve been even. Basically the same record with upside.

10. leebigez

You're mixing touches and your love for yao with winning basketball games. i don't care how many touches or shots yao gets s long as the rockets win. The best example is how he was played vs portland. In the past with rafer and shane being the next inline scorers, the rockets wouldve lost that series, but since we had scola,brooks,wafer,landry, and artest, the rockets were able to win despite the team making sure yao didn't beat them.

11. leebigez

I take it you haven't watched many grizzlies games this year or any other year right?

12. trugoy

trugoy Member

More Yao touches = winning.

C'mon, you want to get the ball to your most efficient offensive player.

You cannot be serious that you would rather rudy gay jacking up 20 footers all over the place than the ball to be worked inside to Yao.

13. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

The Rockets have 2 superstars in Yao and Tracy but unfortunately we had some suck azz role players when they were both healthy. They were a really good team that year with Bobby Sura and Jon Barry. I remember the rox/dals playoff series, unfortunately Yao wasn't as good during that time. Nevertheless they were still a force to be reckon with among the tops in the West. I have a said it all along, we were only ONE SOLID POINT GUARD away from the title. Rafer is definitely an above avg defender in the league but he was definitely not what WE NEEDED during their era. Thus, Morey drafted Brooks because he knew we need players who can nail their open jumpers and break down the weakside defense when the ball is swing to them from the superstar. Kyle was brought it for the same reason. (Kyle's a great fit for the 2nd unit since him and landry are both energy boosters.)

Yao/Deke(retired due to injury)/Anderson
    Scolandry/Anderson
    Shane/Ariza/Budinger
    T-mac/Ariza/Budinger
    Brooks/Lowry

Given their chemistry and heart they display in the games I have seen. They are definitely one of the top 5 teams in my opinion.

14. trugoy

trugoy Member

To put this in perspective, Brandon Roy's offensive on/off last year is 9.3 points.

This means that Rudy gay's defense is as detrimental to the grizzlies as Brandon Roy's offense helps the blazers.

15. leebigez

Signed,
    Kobe Bryant

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i agree with durvasa about gay's defense..he does have the tools to be a solid, maybe even above average defender, but the fact remains we dont know what would have happened. Does he benefit from being on a veteran team and fulfill his potential X years down the road or does he get lost among the more experienced and polished vets and is actually held back due to lack of PT/opportunities?

Who knows.

My biggest issue with ANY trade is many fans forget this is a business afterall, alot of times it's a business first and sports second. Sometimes a trade makes no sense in the sportd world, but its a no brainer in the business world...sometimes it's a trade that ruins the team, but saves the owner, sometimes the owner takes a risk to better the team, other times neither side hits a homer or is screwed, they both gain something, which i think was the point of this trade. Rockets got something of some value that they felt would stick around for years and contribute in some way, rather than risking a player they may not be able to pay later unless they broke the bank and if they werent able to do so then he'd leave for nothing in 3-4 yrs.

And the most important and telling year of his career will be the year after he gets paid, not this one. Remember he wasnt happy with the extension he was offered, so he knows he's go to start playing better starting now to raise memphis' offer or another team's offer so memphis can match.

17. leebigez

Is there anyone on the grizzlies team that you can consider a good defender? When shane was in memphis his first 2 yrs and they were terrible defensively and struggling, does that mean he was a poor defender? what about pau. is pau any different now than when he was in memphis besides being a yr older? I don't think some of the poster realize what role acceptance means to young players and having a core of vets that have won means to a guy.

18. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

I also want to know how lazy would this team become with both T-mac and Rudy on the same team :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

19. trugoy

trugoy Member

Yep, we all saw how great he was from 2005-2007 right? :rolleyes:

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah, i think if morey had to choose now between signing Gay and Ariza, he'd go with Ariza hands down....that explains his way of thinking, gay may be more polished offensively, but isn't a lebron or a better defender than Ariza, so Ariza for 5-6 mill is a no brainer for him when Gay wants 12-13 mill...the reasoning being he'd be able to keep ariza longer and at a lower price and get close to the same production he'd get from Gay.