1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should've never traded Rudy Gay. Morey never would've never made that trade.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AKRocketsFan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

I'm sorry but, I've been watching Rudy Gay ever since we traded. I love Battier, but we really got screwed by Jerry West on that trade. Not Vlade for KOBE screwed, but close.

Gay is averaging 20pts 6rebs 2ast. Not only is he getting on it defensively, but he's a leader on the Grizzlies and he cares about winning. If you watched the Grizz and Cavs game today, you would've seen it in action.

This is the last you'll hear of this from me, but that trade has been eating me up ever since we made it. That was just not a good trade. And we'd be better if we never had made it.

2. rockets4life!

rockets4life! Member

here we go again... LOL

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Morey is the one that went to les with some stats and explained why they should make the trade. I will leave it at that too.

4. plates300

plates300 Member

seriously? let it go already.

5. Robjos

Robjos Member

fail... has been discussed before, if gay was here it wouldnt be the same team... i think i prefer shane... proven.

6. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

how many of these have i seen? wtf?

7. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

I hardly believe that and If Morey was part of that trade, believe me he's kicking himself in the ass now :eek:

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

FYI, this has been the most beaten-to-death topic on this message board over the last 3 years.

And from the oft-cited Michael Lewis piece on Battier from last season:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2

[rquoter]

When Morey came to the Rockets, a huge chunk of the team’s allotted payroll — the N.B.A. caps payrolls and taxes teams that exceed them — was committed, for many years to come, to two superstars: Tracy *McGrady and Yao Ming. Morey had to find ways to improve the Rockets without spending money. “We couldn’t afford another superstar,” he says, “so we went looking for nonsuperstars that we thought were undervalued.” He went looking, essentially, for underpaid players. “That’s the scarce resource in the N.B.A.,” he says. “Not the superstar but the undervalued player.” Sifting the population of midlevel N.B.A. players, he came up with a list of 15, near the top of which was the Memphis Grizzlies’ forward Shane Battier. This perplexed even the man who hired Morey to rethink basketball. “All I knew was Shane’s stats,” Alexander says, “and obviously they weren’t great. He had to sell me. It was hard for me to see it.”

Alexander wasn’t alone. It was, and is, far easier to spot what Battier doesn’t do than what he does. His conventional statistics are unremarkable: he doesn’t score many points, snag many rebounds, block many shots, steal many balls or dish out many assists. On top of that, it is easy to see what he can never do: what points he scores tend to come from jump shots taken immediately after receiving a pass. “That’s the telltale sign of someone who can’t ramp up his offense,” Morey says. “Because you can guard that shot with one player. And until you can’t guard someone with one player, you really haven’t created an offensive situation. Shane can’t create an offensive situation. He needs to be open.” For fun, Morey shows me video of a few rare instances of Battier scoring when he hasn’t *exactly been open. Some large percentage of them came when he was being guarded by an inferior defender — whereupon Battier backed him down and tossed in a left jump-hook. “This is probably, to be honest with you, his only offensive move,” Morey says. “But look, see how he pump fakes.” Battier indeed pump faked, several times, before he shot over a defender. “He does that because he’s worried about his shot being blocked.” Battier’s weaknesses arise from physical limitations. Or, as Morey puts it, “He can’t dribble, he’s slow and hasn’t got much body control.”
    [/rquoter]

9. trugoy

trugoy Member

Rudy Gay is the WORST defender in the league, go look up the stats if you doubt me.

10. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

I said this is first and last time I'll speak on it. But now that the trade has matured I'm gonna vent on how stupid it was. I never have said anything on it because it hadn't been long enough. Now that it has I thought I'd comment on how stupid of trade that was.

This is the payoff year on that trade and we got screwed!

11. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

I'm a stat junkie so I know you're fool of it. Plus he's on my fantasy team

12. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

No Crap It's been talked for years. But this is only year it should,ve been talked about. This is the payoff year.

13. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I was at this game against the Lakers where Shane hit the game-winning 3 after the Lakers made an amazing comeback with less than 1 minute or so left and almost down by double digits. Had Lakers fans who I was taunting ready to rub the loss in my face, but Batman came to the rescue. Great night, and opening night in opposing team's arena!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OaTrGJzuflg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OaTrGJzuflg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=271030013

So the trade doesn't bother me one bit! :grin:

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Shane Battier is the WORST offensive player in the league, go look up
    the stats if you doubt me.

15. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

I never read that article about him being involved, but Morey knows he screwed that trade up. :)

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Actually there was a statistical analysis done that pretty much proved Rudy Gay's defense led to the most points for the opposing team, which in most cases constitutes poor defensive performance.

Shane Battier in the meantime has a career plus/minus of nearly +6, which is on par with most superstars in the league past and present.

But continue to be impressed by an average player on a poor team who occasionally makes flashy dunks that make sportscenter and continue to devalue and ignore the understated value of Shane Battier. It really makes you sound intelligent.

2 people like this.
  17. trugoy

trugoy Member

http://www.82games.com/0809/ONSORT5.HTM

He ranks last in defensive on/off

That means when he is off the court his team is 9.3 POINTS better defensively.

1 person likes this.
  18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You replied 5 times to your own thread, so much for the last time.

Yeah, Moneyball is the main reason this team hasn't gotten any new star players. He believes in cheap late draft picks that can be above average roleplayers. That's why Les should replace Morey with somebody that wants to get star players.

19. Hball

Hball Member

Unfortunate he had to go to one the worst organization in the league, Im sure if he was under our coaching a staff we could have developed him into and even better player, where that seems to be a strength of our coaching staff.

20. trugoy

trugoy Member

I did.

http://www.82games.com/0809/ONSORT3.HTM

he's above average, when he is on the court his team is 2.3 points better off.