1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Yao suit up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dirk_Diggler, May 15, 2009.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He won't be effective and risks getting a greater injury.

2. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Yes...but only if we make the finals and its an elimination game. That would be epic. If It were me, I'd do it in a heart beat, for the glory of it. Plus he'd have like 5 weeks to heal by then, which isn't enough, but...

But for the second round of the playoffs? No way.

3. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler Contributing Member

T-Mac and Deke are seriously injured

Yao is not ...

A stress fracture is not a break
    He has already played on it without being prepared to play on it

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

If it is the game 7 of the NBA final game, and he could be effective after a month rest. Yes, it is a risk for him, but it is a life time chance for anyone, I would give a try if this is case, but only in the NBA final games.

5. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

personal view :I don't see anything is more important than a sit-down for him right now !You know the only good thing for him and Rockets is that he don't need to play for Chinese National Team this summer ,he got a whole summer for recovery and comeback .Further ,he will be 30 next season ,he can still play at least 2 MVP seasons.For EveryOne 'S sake ,HE SHOULD STAY IN BENCH!

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Yeah but the solo victory with Yao was on Laker's home court.

To OP, I am not sure Yao can be effective with a broken foot. It's not exactly a situation where there are only 5 minutes left to play in a deciding game and you need to suck it up and leave everything of yours on the court (in other words heroic #2).

Besides being a good cheerleader on the bench, Yao should watch closely how his teammates play without him, perhaps pondering how he can change his own game to fit into the system.

7. yeah

yeah Member

If we make it to the finals, Yao needs to play. We can beat Denver.

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I've thought about this as well. I would suit him up, have him on the active roster BUT I would not play him at all unless the game comes down to free throws at the end.

ONLY THEN I would put him on the court as someone to throw the ball to only to get fouled and go to the line. He's the best FT shooter on the team.

Why not?

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yes, but only if the Rockets get to game 6-7 in the next round or at some point in the NBA Finals.

I think he could play well and not risk, injury after a 4-6 week rest. The NBA Finals going on all the way through June and the games are not as close together.

In fact, the Rockets need Yao to beat the Cavs or Magic.

10. Setuablaz3

Setuablaz3 Rookie

The team played so freaking awesome that I cannot express my feelings in words. If only this team played with this much composure, we could win the championship for next five years straight.

Getting back on the topic however, I was really really dissapointed in Yao that this injury happened to him. Not only that, I also felt deeply frustrated that he didnt go on and keep playing for his team. I'm not sure (it must have) whether it hapened before the post season got started and they were only keeping an eye on it (and it got lot worse). But he has come so close to winning it for this team that I would never had let it slip away if I was on his shoes. I understand there are lots of factors involved and huge pressure to make the right decision but I'd still do it.

However, at this precise time you will have his fans and doubters talking that either it would be bad for him (long term) or for Houston's momentum. Id sure like to see him suited up and stay on bench. As soon as the team starts going downhill at any point in any quarter then you can insert him in the lineup and let it unfold.

But yes the very minute I read Yao was out I was so so frustrated. Nothing I could do but I still ask it how couldn't he see it as anything but a great sacrifice to a team and the city that has supported him so much. So yes! I am so not happy with Yao at this point. I at the same time feel sorry for him that everytime he goes down, his team elevates to higher plane. Only thing perhaps keeping me sane is the next year he takes the team a step further.

In anycase, Rockets all the way!

11. greatmansion

greatmansion Member

I think it's not gonna happen.In China, that is called Yiyin which means you can only have sex with a cute girl in your dream.

12. jose

jose Member

5-7 minutes wouldn't do much anyway, why have high risk for little reward? no thanks

13. gamor

gamor Member

as much as I love to have Yao back, but it is simplely not realistic.
    Yao just had surgery

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He can't play, if he's injured and be effective.

15. landryfans

landryfans Member

hehe, I would say "in your head" while awake.

16. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

he don't need surgery ,just rest for 3 months ,that is ok !but ,definitely ,I don't want him to risk even if we make it through !

17. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fcgLVFnCv7Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fcgLVFnCv7Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You have a special team, an admirable team you should be proud of, and a special person and player in Yao. For the rest of us that love your team, and Yao, and don't have a vested interest in Game 7? Don't ruin it.

#37 KellyDwyer, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you're able to edit your post, you can copy and past that embed link on the right hand side of the page.

19. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

WANT and CAN are two different things. You are like saying that you are disappointed that AB doesn't dunk on Howard 20 times in a game.

A 7'6 310lbs dude CAN NOT play professional basketball on a broken foot, no matter how much an important fan like you wants him to.

20. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler Contributing Member

Yao did not have surgery ... He just needs rest