1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Westbrook get a Roger Maris* Asterisk if breaks record after game 80

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Apr 7, 2017.

1. what

what Member

Did hakeem get an asterisk by his blocks record? Stop being petty. Next question.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

what block record? he doesn't hold the season record, Eaton does, and they didn't keep those records in the 60s anyhow. Not a good analogy at all. We are talking Season Records, that are measured, and measured against an 80-game schedule.

Most season records kept through the 60s are held in the 60s. But imagine if somehow, some way, someone beats Wilt's most points in a single season....but they do in on the 82nd game?

What I find is ppl really don't care about NBA stats as much as ppl care about MLB stats. Thus Maris got the asterisks, but NBA fans don't really care, because the 60s was a farce.

3. what

what Member

most career blocks.

the point is is that trying to justify an asterisk for westbrook's accomplishment is so petty given the fact that rules changes, different eras, etc, makes comparsions strained.

the facts are that westbrook has done what only only one other player has done in the history of the nba. If you think that deserves an asterisk, I think you need to re-evaluate your criteria because you are being petty.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you include games with 10+ turnovers, I believe he's already set the record.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not the same thing. This is a Most X Games in a Season record. Ruth played in a different era than Maris did, too. But he had a shorter schedule.

Stop with the analogies that have nothing to do with the question in the OP. You are changing the subject.

Reading comprehension fail. This record is number of triple double games at 41. We aren't talking about averages or career highs or anything like that

Averages have a defined qualifying requirement. You meet those, you win. Cut and dry. WB has a triple double...no doubt about it. Such triple double fatigue, you can't even carry a conversation about something else.

#25 heypartner, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. what

what Member

yeah, I know my analogy is stupid compared to your scenario, which is brilliant.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Oscar should get one - 7th best rebounder /36 on his own team in the era of the cheap board - actually all of 1961/62 should get one.

Double digits back then was like 5 today.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Millenials are killing "_ _ _." I don't think I've met a person under 40 who has had an type of reference to an asterisks added to anyone's record [unless like one of those crappy bandwagon fans who think a beloved team is getting preferential treatment in a playoff or championship game..but that another story], especially that one. I used to see them all of the time in sports history books, almanacs, and encyclopedias. I hardly ever see it anymore, now. I guess the younguns are like "who has time for that s#it." There's not asterisks attached to Pete Rose or even the PED users. So, Bonds and McGwire are still the top guys, while Maris is the

Even the PED argument, is not the best reference points, because they have allegedly been in the game by some sources, since the 1800s -- https://nyulocal.com/juicin-in-the-majors-a-history-of-steroids-in-baseball-d2facd1cbcfb

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/HR_season.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ll_progressive_single-season_home_run_leaders

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

So, to answer your question, and judging by 2018 standard probably not.

#28 plutoblue11, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

And, I forgot that baseball supposed to be one of the most purest things on the planet, next the Virgin Mary. Records, statistics, and sanctity of the game does not matter as much in football and basketball.