1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we try to sign Eric Gordon this summer, or wait for James Harden in 2013?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LOLatSoccer, Mar 17, 2012.

1. AFS

AFS Member

We do if we tank.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Harden, but i don't think OKC will let him get away.

3. amaru

amaru Member

We won't get either of those guys.

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

If Harden didnt play with KD and RW his stats would be MUCH better!

5. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

In the new cba a team can only sign one player coming off a rookie contract to a max deal. The Durant deal was before the new cba and they just signed Westbrook to a max deal so that means Harden is good as gone if teams offer him the max. But I believe other teams will go after him and he'll have choices.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Both will be over priced. Not the best way to spend near Max dollars.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]

It's kind of contingent on whether they like the idea of Westbrook playing SG. Lowry is the kind of cost-controlled, all star caliber asset they'll be looking for if they trade Harden. We could even add a draft pick if needed but that starts to look like an overpay IMO.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Harden is worth max money for sure. 22 and already all-star level production. Could easily be a future superstar, franchise player.

Agree about Gordon.

9. rockets06

rockets06 Member

Injury issues have me concerned with Gordon but Harden is definitely worth the money and should be our main target for now. Would be a major upgrade at the SG position for many years to come being at only 22.

10. HombreDeHierro

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2012/02/new_orleans_hornets_guard_eric_12.html

he first experienced pain related to the cartilage damage in his knee before he even became a Hornet

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I thought OKC made a mistake by taking Harden over Evans but they look like geniuses right now.

Gordon is undersized for the shooting guard spot. He would be a great addition coming off the bench.

12. Zero2Hero

Zero2Hero Member

Noel got dunked on by my guy Shaquille Cleare. That guy is the read deal btw.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to trade an assload of players before we talk about signing them.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agreed. We should not pay max or near max for someone who is not a top 10 player.

15. rockets06

rockets06 Member

whats your point? so he experienced the problem in his knee before he was traded from the Clippers and got the surgery to help long term. doesn't mean it won't be an recurring issue. but in my opinion if both healthy I'd still choose Harden cause I think he's a better all around player and Harden is 6'5 with size on Gordon being 6'3 only 6'3.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

James Harden is impossible. And he didn't sign with Adidas.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

How else are we going to get a top 10 player besides taking a chance on a guy who can become one? Gordon is not that in my opinion, but Harden has a very real chance of becoming one of the top 10 players in the NBA.

Anyway, I disagree with the premise that only the top 10 players in the league should be paid max money. Any guy who is producing at an all-star level is worth the max in my opinion.

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I believe James Harden is kinda like an incompletely-earthed gem.

He will be a GREAT player once he gets away from the shadows of RW and KD.

This guy will be like Caron Butler when he left LA for Washington if he is able to leave OKC for Houston or any other team where he can be "the man"

That said, he is almost locked down by Sam Presti and OKC for as long as they can. So I guess its kinda pointless talking about what we would should could pay for him.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would only want to pay max money to a player who has the potential to carry the team to a championship. Otherwise, you are paying the same money to a lesser player as you would pay for Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Dirk, Rose, Howard, Durant, Paul, maybe Love, Gasol, Deron Williams. In doing so, you have an inherent disadvantage compared to the teams which have one of these players - you are paying the same for much less. That means you would have to get much better bargains on your supporting cast or find other ways to make up for the huge disadvantage you already have.

If a player is not even the best player on his own team and not even the second best player on his own team, why would anyone pay him max money?

And Caron Butler is a good player, but not a guy who can lead a team to a championship - or even the playoffs.

I like Harden, but not for the max.

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Wow. I must be missing it because I don't see top ten potential in Harden. He's a decent 3 point shooter who benefits from getting a lot of wide open looks with Westbrook and Durant on the court. He has some ability to get to the basket but creating his own shot is not off the charts.

Admittedly I have not watched a lot of Harden. But I don't see it. IMO Morey will only pay one Max player and wants that max player to be underpaid. Howard is underpaid James is underpaid Love is underpaid. Harden would be overpaid at Max dollars. Maybe only slightly but still the point is where is the value. When you consider that Lee is a better 3 point shooter without the benefit of a Durant and is a premier defender. I don't see paying top dollar when you can sign Lowry and Lee together for Less.