1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Omer Asik while his stock is high?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Dec 28, 2012.

?

Take our winnings off the table now and trade Omer?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2013.
  1. Yes, lets cash out now and see what we can get

44 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. Nah, lets keep him

284 vote(s)
    86.6%
  1. AFS

AFS Member

Like others have said, it depends on who we would be trading him for. But in general, no, we should not deal him.

2. bread and budin

For a while I thought all these "should we sell high?" threads and comments were attempts at joking about Moreys asset accumulation strategies, but now it seems like some of you are actually serious..

You have to actually have players that play for an extended period of time together to ever have a chance to make a dent in a playoff race. This is just a fact. Please stop asking if we should be selling high on our whole team, its a stupid thing to even consider for a bunch of reasons including - bad atmosphere to attract players to play in, lack of peripheral fan interest because of lack of knowledge of the team, lack of on court / off court chemistry, lack of coaching strategy long term etc. etc.

Just look at Kevin Loves recent comments about being frustrated with the constant turnover in the timberwolves offense.

Please stop with these should we sell high comments.

3. agpal77

agpal77 Rookie

Good night and sweet dreams;)

4. ebatinga

ebatinga Member

Initial knee jerk reaction is no. Considering he hasn't hit his ceiling (at least in my opinion), he could legitimately become a concensus top 5 center (although some people already think he's a top 5 center).

However, it depends on a. who you would get back in return b. can greg smith and/or DMo turn into a legitimate starting center in the league.

DMo could be utilized as a stretch forward/center, but he would need time to develop.

Greg Smith could develop into Asik type numbers if thrusted into the starting role, however, he has played inconsistent at times, which is obviously expected given his age.

5. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

i would trade asik or harden or parsons for Jabari Parker but that is not possible so no

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's NOT a fact. The Rockets won their 2nd championship by making a meaningful roster change halfway plus through the season. The Celtics completely overhauled their roster and won the championship the next year. The Heat completely overhauled their roster and made it to the Finals the next year. The Pistons acquired Rasheed Wallace and won the championship.

You have to have great players to make a dent in a playoff race. THAT is a fact. The Rockets need more great players. If you get more in return for Asik then you give out, then you trade him, of course.

7. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Nope, especially with his rebounding and defensive production on such a good contract. He's starting to look like a steal.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think Asik is one of the most valuable players in the league. Not only because of his contract but due to fit in the type of forward dominant league this has become. He's a quality defender, legit seven footer, and an excellent rebounder who can run the floor, doesn't get in foul trouble, and you don't have to run plays for him. He's exactly the kind of player you can put next to a well skilled stretch four and have good balance on the floor. If you found a Kevin Love or an Aldridge type player (definitely not easy) through free agency this team would be killer.

9. rocketsmetalspd

I say you will never be satisfied with the team. The Rockets have something special going and all you want to do is reboot.

10. teebone21

teebone21 Member

GTFO WITH THIS BS

11. coweye

coweye Member

I know for many its a business but a team is not a stock market. I know our GM traded alot but at some point you have to let a team grow. Asik is working hard and i see no reason to punish him for that.
    Many on CF are eyeing Cousins but even in young team you need grown ups and not kids. Cousin hasn't prove that he is a grown man.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    "Some fans" huh?

Who are these some fans? Can you point them out please so I can tell them how idiotic their idea is.

Your idea =/= "some fans"

13. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

What about a trade with Sacramento of Asik and Delfino for Cousins and Francisco Garcia? Asik's trade value is at an all time high, and Cousins's trade value is at an all time low. Asik is 26, Cousins is 22.

14. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Trade him for who? There are not many 7 foot centers in the NBA right now that can grab you 10+ rebounds, play great defense, and clean up around the basket.

15. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Only die-hard tankers and Jazz fans who hate the idea of the Rockets ever winning a game would want to trade Asik now.

16. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Exactly. He improved so much in so little time. He might be th next best centre eventually once he learns to finish more at the rim and develop his gangster offensive game. Plus he wasn't that expensive - he's a great deal for the team.

17. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Omer + Lin for Dragic + Gortat

Omer + Lin for Lowry + Valanciunas

18. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

No. Asik's streaky offense shows that the potential is there. It is frustrating to see him bobble a series of passes and fail to finish others that he catches (particularly irritating to see this beat up Lin's assist/TO numbers and get Lin ripped by the Lin-hating wolves), but Asik has streaks where he can catch and can finish. With his immense improvement from last year, work ethic, good health, and age, he is a "can't-miss" if he stays injury-free. I'd almost go so far as to say other than Lebron or Durant, I can't think of someone I'd clearly trade for him.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'd only trade him for Kevin Love, Durant and Cp3 at this point. LBJ/DH has flight risk, Cousins has bust risk.

20. demarco1

demarco1 Member

No if we cannot get others, but yes if we can get Varejao.A So i vote Yes...