1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Omer Asik while his stock is high?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Dec 28, 2012.

?

Take our winnings off the table now and trade Omer?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2013.
  1. Yes, lets cash out now and see what we can get

44 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. Nah, lets keep him

284 vote(s)
    86.6%
  1. thekad

thekad Member

This is a really going too far with the "buy low, sell high" thing.

2. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. FearTheBeardJH

He has been terrific on the glass and better on offense than expected, but...

He's still turnover prone, not the most efficient player and he's been disappointing on defense. He still makes our defense better, but Smith makes our offense elite.

4. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Huh? The Rockets are one of the teams that needs him.

5. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Thanks for all the responses and alot of good feedback

First off, I want to say that I am a fan of Omer so by my bringing up trading him, it is not an insult as if he sucked, no one would want to trade for him anyways.

Secondly, I am not suggesting we trade him. Merely posing a question as several Rocket fans have brought this up to me and I just wanted to hear your thoughts

Lastly, quite interestingly I may add that it appears that many of the "quality" centers today are diamonds in the rough like Omer meaning late pics/2nd rounders/undrafted unlike Hakeem, Yao, Shaq, Robinson, Dwight etc.

ex.

Verajao
    Deandre Jordan
    Larry Sanders
    Gortat
    Pekovic
    and possibly our own Greg Smith (undrafted) in a due time

So if the price is right and if Morey is a great scout of talent like he is, there should be some others that pop up. Seems like it is more common to find a 2nd round/undrafted starting Center in the NBA than a 2nd round or undrafted PG surprisingly

thx

6. trowa2

trowa2 Member

i wouldnt put cp3's value above harden's

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't know why so many are so quick to say no?

I'm not saying I want to give him away. but if the TWovles said Love for Asik, then of course I'd say yes. That's just a non-logical hypothetical as they have a Asik clone already, but just pointing it out. A third team might facilitate it though.

That being the case, there may be very few examples of that which make sense. Asik for Aldridge? Not sure, I don't view Aldridge as high as many on here. Asik for Bosh? Miami isn't doing that...yet. Youl wouldn't do for Jefferson, imo. You wouldn't do for Milsap or Smith, as both could potentially be had in the offseason... if you wanted either.

So yes, generally, the answer is hell no. But you never know. Especially if the KLove situation develops. I'm not underrating defense, mind you, but Love is clearly as good a rebounder as Asik and a much better offensive and overall player.

And I do feel pretty good about Greg Smith. His skill set is Asik's skill set. I don't think he has Asik's game when playing bigger minutes, yet, but Smith is Asik from a couple years back... just needs experience and eventually minutes.

Here's the basis for a hypothetical 3 team trade:
    Asik to Charlotte
    Parsons, Patterson, one of TJones/DMo, Charlotte draft picks to Minnesota
    Love, Tyrus Thomas to Houston
    Filler to make it work from salary perspective

Charlotte has draft picks it can send to Minnesota (I think it has a future Pistons and Blazers pick, in addition to their own), which they do in exchange for getting Asik (who seems to be a perfect fit for their new coach and MKG style team) and getting rid of Tyrus contract.

IF Minnesota looks to trade Love, it's not a bad return. Parsons is a super cheap up and coming young player. Patterson is filler PF. Charlotte draft picks could be ok. One of TJones/DMo is nice. It's not getting anything back that is Love, but it's not horrible, especially if their analysis is save some money, Love hasn't impacted our W/L anyway, get young players with meaningful upside.

I don't love the hypothetical for Houston, but DM has shown he is willing to trade a lot for superstar players. Clearly, one has wet dreams of a Asik-Love frontcourt and a Harden-Lin backcourt... meaning if you can somehow find a way to turn Parsons + into a Love type character that's much preferred. But if this is the price to get Love, I think you do it. A lot would rest of Greg Smith being able to put in 30+ mpg solidly, and Marcus Morris being able to play the 3 - which thus far he hasn't proven he can do - and free agency.

Anyways... just throwing something out there.

#27 JayZ750, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  8. rocketblood713

Hell no !!! hes just gonna improve from here on out and we seen what he can do against the Bulls and this guy EATS REBOUNDS !! ..Rockets found there center

9. Entropy

Entropy Member

This guy is one of the main reasons why a team as young as ours has a winning record. Long as he stays healthy (fingers crossed) we'll do well.

10. rocketblood713

unless your getting a Keving Love or a Al Jefferson somthin like that ..

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

As Daryl Morey would put it..

"When a star player becomes available, we would do everything possible to try and get that player."

No way Omer becomes a deal breaker in a trade that would land us a legit star/franchise player.

Of course, if you can acquire a star without having to sacrifice Omer, then that would be the perfect situation would it?

12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Which player on the team wouldn't you trade if you could get better value for him?

13. sergio

sergio Member

Funny thread is funny.

14. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Center like him is hard to come by

15. agpal77

agpal77 Rookie

Maybe we should trade Omer for Rasheed Wallace?

16. torocan

torocan Member

Unless you got a top tier center back. No. And more No. Did I mention No?

Top tier big men are rare as heck. And we still have no idea how much better Asik will become with further development. Access to McHale and the Dream could pay serious dividends with time and off season work.

I'd say let it play out unless Dwight becomes available.

17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

How about a big fat **** NO

18. agpal77

agpal77 Rookie

Who do you guys prefer, Ibaka or Ashik?

19. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Again, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Omer's stock is going to be a lot higher, a lot higher, a lot higher.

20. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Hell NO!!! Op is either crazy or just trolling. :rolleyes: