1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we take another look at Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeemthagreat, Jun 17, 2015.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His offense can be useful, but he isn't likely to do as well as a starter. Secondly
    he doesn't bring any defense at all, thus limiting his efficiency.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His offense can be useful, but he isn't likely to do as well as a starter.
    He doesn't bring any defense at all, thus limiting his efficiency.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Dude doesn't care about winning. I saw him and Brew having a great time at Treasures a couple years back right after the Wolves got blown the F out by the Rockets at TC

4. Nemospl

Nemospl Member

Hmm

So you are implying that Brew doesn't care about winning also?! Hmmm...couldn't tell when he was on a winning team...

5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Kevin Martin is a poor man's stephen curry, similar build, similar game. Kmart is the very poor man's version that doesn't care about winning.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In other words no Curry at all... unorthodox shooting, rather ugly

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I actually like all three players, they're underrated for sure, but I can certainly understand why people would not want them here. Statistically, Lee is on par with the best big men, but his impact is clearly not on their level. That doesn't make him a bad player. He's actually really good, but not good enough to ignore whether he fits in with our current personnel, especially at his high salary. No one would scoff at Lee if we got him at a discount like Josh Smith. If we had either guy on the contracts they got from other teams? Big problem.

Defense is that big of an issue. Compare Parsons' stats his last year here to Ariza's. Parsons was a better shooter, finisher, and passer than Ariza, but Ariza's defensive impact makes him a far better role player. It's better for role players to defend and sometimes score, rather than score and never defend.

8. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Sad times..

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

It's an intriguing proposition. I'm not really sure how I feel about KMart. He's a solid role player that can come off the bench and provide some scoring but he's a defensive liability who doesn't seem to have the will to win.

10. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

You can't win with Kevin Martin as your best player like the Rockets back in 2011 or 2012, whenever that was. He may be OK as a bench guy.

11. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Scola, Martin, Lin, Lowry...all possibilities for next year. Heck, why not bring TMac back from retirement and make him the waterboy. Heck, why not try to recreate the Rox 2011 team in its entirety! We've already got Dorsey. Where's Budinger at these days?

12. hakeemthagreat

You can add Josh Smith to that list as well. People on here swore up & down he was lazy and the wrong fit for us. When playoffs came he almost single handedly saved us

What ppl dont factor in sometimes is a player's individual skillset vs the style of play of the team he's playing on. I dont care about his 1st stint here when we sucked. I'm looking at our current roster and envisioning Martin knocking down WIDE OPEN 3's. I'm seeing Harden double teamed, passing weakside to a slashing Martin for a and one. If we could hide Terry's old azz on defense, I'm sure Martin's no different. The only problem is he took jabs at morey, and we know Morey's fans on here hold serious grudges:rolleyes:

13. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Gordon is a very good player, but one problem....he is injury prone!

14. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Really didn't like Martin

15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

What exactly did he say again? Something about treating players like assets, if I recall correctly? Tough but fair criticism IMO, one of the few downsides to Morey's management style.

16. basketballholic

He's expiring. Contract drive season. Improved shot last summer.

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kdSfGJiU7Gs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Had never seen this before. Lol, such an awkward interview.

18. hakeemthagreat

I believe that's exactly what he said. However it was true at the time. But a player of his skillset next to Harden or spotting him minutes is deadly. You could rest Harden for longer stretches

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I had Harden paired with Martin in my NBA 2K12 franchise in the ultimate form of Moreyball... granted Yao was still healthy.

I like to refer to it as a computer simulation instead of a video game.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ever since the league changed the rules about drawing fouls (literally called the Kevin Martin rule) it has really made him completely marginalized.

Yes, the guy can still be useful to teams as a shooter who can move without the ball, but man has he fallen off with what used to be his best skill in getting to the foul line. The whole reason why Morey was interested in trading for him in the first place.

The guy is due 7+ mil this year and next year. THIS would be your final big move I'm assuming before the big 2016 free agency. I think Morey can do better by bringing in a player that can fit bigger needs at PG.