1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we take another look at Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeemthagreat, Jun 17, 2015.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We looked at Martin more than once when he was here and he was one dimensional

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

No

/thread

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Didn't cyberx or someone say Martin didn't want to come back here?

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Of course it is.

Martin would be playing off the bench here, taking the minutes that otherwise would have gone to Pablo or Brewer. However much better he is than those two, is how much better the Rockets are as a team. You guys get too tied up into positions like PG/SG etc. You really should think of it as just wings and bigs. Playing the same position as Harden is not a hurdle at all. His contract has a player options, which is most likely to opt out of. He is essentially an expiring contract.

His 61% Trueshooting, 43% 3 point shooting, 1.17 PPS, 7 win shares, low turnovers, etc. that he gave OKC showed you he was a limited player? You realize that no one on our roster outside of Harden/Howard came close to that kind of production right?

Never understood the Martin hate. Objectively, he is a great player, that is a net positive on the court. Since I know he is loathed, I will pre-emptively counter the wave of meaningless rhetoric I know is coming:
    1.) Disappears in the fourth: So bench him in the fourth and get great production in the first 3 quarters.
    2.) He is soft: Soft is not a real thing. Even if it was, he still provides something we don't have, which makes the team better.
    3.) Fool's gold: we don't need gold, we just need a scoring punch off the bench.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He looks like he would fit right in on the Warriors

6. hakeemthagreat

Yep, the same way Josh Smith wouldn't:rolleyes:

Are you telling me a great 3pt shooter next to Harden wont be effectively strictly because of defense? That's stupid. You know how I know that? Because we did it with a less talented player in Terry and were STILL effective in stretches. Martin is a significantly better player than Terry AND Prigioni. Martin's skillset is perfect for our style of play. A few of you need to just flat out say you don't like the guy

7. hakeemthagreat

Fixed. Yep, the same way Josh Smith wouldn't:rolleyes:

Are you telling me a great 3pt shooter next to Harden wont be effectively strictly because of defense? That's stupid. You know how I know that? Because we did it with a less talented player in Terry and were STILL effective in stretches. Martin is a significantly better player than Terry AND Prigioni. Martin's skillset is perfect for our style of play. A few of you need to just flat out say you don't like the guy

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I do not dislike him. There is no disputing the fact, that he is better than Terry and Prigioni. He isn't a bench player in Minnesota, and he would be looking for more minutes than he would get in Houston. In fact, he has made it very clear that he doesn't want to come back here.

9. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

A proven scorer, does not bring much else to the team. If he comes off the bench (doubt he would) he would be a marginal upgrade over Corey Brewer. I would rather take Jason Terry over him (off the bench, not as a starter..).

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If he's willing to come off the bench. Nice scoring punch

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rockets don't need dudes who can't defend.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I was one of the people that always supported Ariza and wanted him back.

Let me tell you why I do not want Martin back. Because he is a front runner. When things get bad, when a team is down 3-1 and is fighting back to just try to win a game, Martin is not the guy that will lead that charge. Martin is the guy to halt that charge with a mistake or two.

I honestly just don't think the guy has the mentality to play an important role on a contending team. Which is why he's never found himself in that position to do so.

13. rockets13champs

Yes Yes Yes!!! kmart can be like Iggy/Barbosa for the warriors and be great for bench i loved kmart when he was a rocket

14. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Please no. This guy is a disaster at everything but scoring.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One of the best non photoshopped pics that ever graced this forum

Alltimer

That said Iggy would Kev Martin look like his smallest b**** among the league best and worst

16. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Yes please. This team sorely lacks a second perimeter scorer. Preferred him to Brewer

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

People are applauding the depth of gsw, but most of if not all was because they overpaid a couple of guys and 2 guys on cheap contracts beat them out. Iggy and Lee combine to make 27m. Barnes and Green make 4m. How many teams have 2 guys coming off the bench making that kind of money? Gsw could do that because their other core players are just starting their new deals. Its not a knock, just the truth.

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Love K-Mart as a player and would welcome here in Houston. He is one of the only players that consistently averages 20+ points but is never recognized in the NBA. He is so off the grid and underrated, and I always liked that about him.

People always snobbishly turn their heads at players like Kevin Martin or David Lee or Brandon Jennings, but the truth of the matter is that they all would have helped immensely in the playoffs. You can't just have 1 scorer and everyone else be role players. Thats why we went through so many cold stretches, nobody besides Harden could score the damn ball.

And is his defense that big of an issue? It seems like everyone on this board over-values the impact of having 1 bad defender on the floor. It's not like offensive players go and score on the ****ty defender guarding them like 5 times in a row. Considering so much of defense is shifting predicated by team defense. For all the Timberwolves games I watched past two years there have been few times where I've just been like "Woah, what a horrible defensive play by Martin!" And we don't need shut-down defense from a bench shooter/scorer.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think a lot of Rox fans are applauding... We are envious of their

health... .we got depth as well but all players had to be healthy, at least all

those players that are playing great.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Another SG that doesn't play defense is exactly what we need, yes.