1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we take another look at Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeemthagreat, Jun 17, 2015.

1. gqgeo

gqgeo Member

25+ Free Throws Min:

Harden 10
    Dwight 8
    Martin 7

Free Throw Loving Machines

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Shoot I'd take all 3 of those guys back if it didn't cost is too much. Lineup could be:

P.G. - Lowry / Beverley / Terry
    S.G. - Harden / Martin
    S.F. - Ariza / Smith
    P.F. - Motiejunas / Scola
    ..C. - Howard / Capela

Still would like to keep Brewer but doubt we could afford him. Martin could be a more consistent scorer off the bench but wouldn't bring the D.

3. hakeemthagreat

So a player who can shoot 3's, create his own shot, play off the ball & get to line, isn't needed next to Harden? Why exactly? All because he wasn't popular here? You guys are probably the ones against getting Ariza back because he "he thought he was a star" his first stint here. Is this a popularity contest?

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Getting to the line and making free throws. All opposing big men would constantly be in foul trouble if Martin comes in after Harden goes to the bench

5. ibm

ibm Member

put martin and harden both in the game at the same time all the time, and then every possession of the rockets ends with ft's. it will bore the fans to death, literally.

so by this reason alone, i say no.

:)

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I can look at him but that's it....

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Seriously why do we suck at Toronto?

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Martin would be rendered ineffective in Houston, because Harden would take most of the SG's minutes. He also doesn't bring any defense, and doesn't want to come here as well.

9. hakeemthagreat

Harden is essentially the point guard here, if you haven't noticed. So you'd have Harden ball handling with Martin coming off screens. Just the presence of a shooter of Martin's caliber opens up the court, because you can't leave Martin (or Harden) under any circumstances. Defensively he's no worse than Terry or Prigs. So what you're getting is a guaranteed 15-21 points on efficient shooting.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I honestly don't know how people can take this position with what we just witnessed with the Warriors and their small ball.

You are going to tell me Kevin Martin's offense would not be better:

1.) than the 300 minutes of mediocre and old Pablo Prigioni we saw in the playoffs
    2.) than the 430 minutes of terrible Corey Brewer we saw in the playoffs

11. basketballholic

Arron Afflalo

12. saleem

I never said anything of the sort.

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Nah. He will be a waste on offense when Harden is on the court.

14. saleem

Harden can't defend the 1's, and Martin can't defend anyone. Playing them together won't be effective, and Martin will not like to come off the bench in a limited role.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Only if he comes with Rubio lol.

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Each game it will be the battle of free throws between Harden and Martin lol

17. Ns575

Ns575 Member

I'm all for snagging KMart if it's a good deal.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

I actually kind of like that deal. Especially because we aren't given anything up of a ton of value (except Jones) and we might be able to flip Gordon at the deadline if need be. It might backfire, but unless the Raptors decide to blow it up and give us Lowry, I don't see what else we could really do.

Oh my god, can make comic strips like Goofus and Gallant?

Moroney gives Chandler Parsons a max contract.

Morey signs Ariza for half the price.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You implied you wouldn't want him because he would be ineffective. Is that incorrect?

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Being better than Pablo and Brewer on offense is not a ringing endorsement, especially when Martin plays the same position as our best player, plays worse D than both, and his contract runs one year longer than our free agency plans allow.

I liked watching Martin play as a Rocket, liked having him on our team. But his time in OKC showed me that he is a very limited player. He can score. Great. Too bad he does literally nothing else to help his team win.