1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we keep MDA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, May 1, 2019.

?

Is it time to move on from MDA?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. Remlap

Remlap Member

NOT with the ref job we got.
    I don't think having Pop roaming the sideline would make the refs swing our way. NO

But, you think we do a gentleman's sweep last year (4-1) with Pop.
    You think with Pop we don't even go to games 6-7. I get it.
    Against arguably the best team ever assembled. That's SOME coach

#81 Remlap, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. kevtse

kevtse Member

come home JVG!

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Just like when people were calling for Morey's head at the beginning of the season, I'll ask: "Sure, but what are the viable alternatives?" Who, once MDA is gone, can come in and do a better job than what Mike's done the past few seasons?

The only defense to this is that most of us (I'd venture around 98% of us) did not see MDA working well at all when he was hired and look at where we're at now. That being said, I don't think there's a coach out there, currently, that can lay claim that he helped revolutionized NBA offense or was probably a Robert Horry hip check away from winning it all.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

The Rockets offense is basically being coached by Harden and Paul with Morey's analytics.

You could fit any coach into that system. We don't even need a big name. What we need is an elite in-game Xs and Os manager. Someone who knows which players to play in which matchups, which would be heavily determined by Morey's analytics.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes, but I can't see Morey being happy with D'Antoni's rotations, especially if Morey's team already have the stats to show who should be playing more and less minutes.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He should bring in Shane Battier.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

No, I think the Rockets could coach themselves.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I know these our grown ass men and it’s the playoffs and they should be able to get themselves ready BUT MDA needs to really have us sharp from the starting tip tonight.

He needs to be really proactive in calling timeouts at any signs of a warrior run or sloppy play from our guys.

We need our guys energized and focused all game long and we need that same energy and focus from our coach as well.

We can not afford to lay a egg tonight...game 3 was a must win and this game is even more of must win I believe.

Not trying to say tonight is make or break for MDA but this is HUGE game tonight. Not just for the team but possibly MDA future as well.

8. Voltik

Voltik Member

If Game 1 wasn’t stolen from us by refs, we wouldn’t be having this thread right now and be up 2-1 and potentially going up 3-1 in the series back to Oakland. The more I think about the implications of that game along with a Scott Foster in Game 2 (that was called fair, but mental edge), it doesn’t seem concidental on how this is playing out being down 1-2 and with an uphill battle.

My two biggest knocks on MDA these past 2 years is his inability to call timeouts during critical turning points of the game and rotations. The rotations in these past 2 playoff years has been fine from a fan standpoint, however, regular season rotations leave more to be desired.

His in game adjustments are now somewhat a concern but not something to fire over right now. This is too early to talk about, let the series play out but it’s not MDA fault we lost Game 1.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

even if we lose in 5 you keep him. he's not the same mda from his phx days. thats who i thought rockets were getting at first.

its not easy to find a good coach, esp for a contender. no coach is perfect.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If he can convince Harden and CP3 to be more dynamic with the choice of pace, he will have done a good job. At this point man, Kerr and MDA know everything about each other, all the players know each others' habits, everyone on either team knows it's all about the will to win. Tucker demonstrated that to the team, and effort wise I truly believe we have at least half a gear higher to get into. I've seen this team fight harder for rebounds, loose balls and space.

The Warriors are coming for the kill, and they will come for it in the 1st and 3rd quarter. We have to shock them with our effort. There is no chance we beat them if we don't out-hustle them.

11. WarEagleRockets

Gotta win this series is all I will say

12. Mike Breen

Mike Breen Member

lol @ this thread.

lnchan likes this.
  13. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Were a championship contender, stop lol if the warriors and KD werent b**** made we wouldve won last year.

14. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Yes... Rockets have been highly successful. Coaching isn’t the issue. The issue is that GS is an all time team and are an issue to every other team in the NBA...