1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we just say screw it and try to let Harden average 40?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Nov 4, 2019.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Green was also an all star that season and led the team in assists.

J Sizzle and D-rock like this.
  2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

No. It’s that simple

3. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

This is just my opinion, but....

When the Rockets have had good defense (2 years ago and the end of last year) it was primarily based on superior effort and execution. We do not have elite defenders, but the ISO heavy system allows the Rockets to rest on offense and to more consistently execute and put out max effort on the defensive end. Superior effort and execution often makes up for other shortcomings such as inferior talent (watch Villanova v. Georgetown 1985 or NC State v. Houston 1983 for examples).

Morey surrounded Harden with high energy / willing defenders (Gordon, Tucker, etc.) and D'A created a system that let them expend all their energy on the defensive end and rest on offense while Harden breaks down the opponent. Harden in ISO can beat almost any defense. This Rockets core team has proven they can play Top 10 defense if they hit their assignments and have the energy to out-hustle opponents.

In the new offense, the team is playing at such a frenetic pace, that both fatigue and confusion are causing problems for the Rockets on the defensive end. The 7 seconds or less concept will turn games into shootouts where no one plays defense and the Rockets win (Wizards) or lose (Nets) based on their ability to hit shots.

To be honest, I am all for Harden scoring 40+. Harden in ISO is mathematically one of the best offensive weapons of all time. It is insanity not to maximize the value of that weapon. The more ISO ball the Rockets play, the more they win (at least in the regular season).

And let's be honest folks - although everyone likes to claim the Rockets ISO strategy doesn't work in the playoffs, let's take a look at the list of playoff strategies that have taken the Warriors to 7 games and held the lead in the 2nd half in a playoff series;

1. Give the ball to PRIME Lebron and get out of the way (2016)

2. Give the ball to PRIME Harden and get out of the way (2018)

These are the only two strategies to get the opposing team to a playoff elimination game with a lead in the second half against GS.

I like watching Harden drop 40 - 50 - 60+ on opposing teams.

I like watching our defense out hustle opponents in the 4th quarter to close out games

I like winning

These are the things I've come to expect when Harden goes ISO-AF on opponents.

So yes, I'd like to see Harden average 40+

SamFisher, D-rock and Deuce like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I really enjoyed this post. Excellent context. And I like the points made as it relates to ISO ball / resting on offense / using energy on defense. And the point about the new increased PACE taxing the team and causing issues defensively. It is like the team needs to find their sea legs.

coyotetex and D-rock like this.
  5. bj3175

bj3175 Member

What I am saying is you are right but whoever is defining a contest is wrong. When James plays post defense he contests a 100% of the time he really fights the bigs down low he is nobody's pushover but, when he is on the perimeter it's Ole' to the basket.

6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I respect what you are saying I just don't al the way agree with how the stat is interpreted

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If your two best players are not accountable on D, the D will suck......that is the crux of the matter.

Harden goes through periods of caring about D, same for Russ - we have two great offensive players who don't consistently give it on D.

DD

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

funny thing about this post is, if Harden was hitting more of his attempts, he would be averaging 40......nothing about "let"

D-rock and YaoMing#1 like this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

if a player contests a shot (according to an unbiased sports movement and body tracking), how do you interpret it?

Blurr#7 likes this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

its sportsvue who is defining it. on NBA.com

11. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Dude!!! Crystal clear, that's how I feel too.

I'm kind of sad too, because that made me realize we probably should move on from Gordon and Capela. Both made a ton of sense on a Harden-Paul world, but the Westbrook-Harden universe needs different things. We can discuss their flaws, but also have provided good moments for the team

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

trade Gordon for Robert Covington ASAP

rivers can do what Gordon has done so far this season.

Clint?

not ready to give up on him. We need his PNR ability and his rebounding. I would like to see the team let him drop Back in the paint instead of switch on the perimeter tho.

Clint in the paint ready to contest drives is so much better than him trying to cover smalls because we don’t want to give up threes.

GS doesn’t exist anymore, we don’t have to switch everything all game.

fryjol7 and coyotetex like this.
  13. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Yup not like I joined to nut ride a particular player or anything. No offense to Carmelos nuts or you.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well folks, let's just say I'm a bit embarrassed after we dominated our longtime nemesis Warriors last night after a pedestrian sub 40 game.

Perhaps this is the year?

fchowd0311 and vlaurelio like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My oldest son was very excited and I was like...yeah, but this is not really the Warriors......I think he has a better perspective, too old and cranky am I.

DD

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Still waiting for an intelligent response......could be a while.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Should we just say let's win this mother****er and let Harden average 40?

duluth111222, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

[​IMG]

SamFisher and D-rock like this.
  19. xaos

xaos Member

One simply doesn't let Harden score 40...

Harden just decides these things

Reeko, HP3, D-rock and 1 other person like this.