1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we have picked Woods?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alaskansnowman, Jun 29, 2001.

1. alaskansnowman

Now first let me say that I am perfectly happy with the draft. Griffen + Morris is great. Rudy and CD are geniuses. But Woods was picked late in the 2nd round, so I doubt it would have been a problem to tell somebody ahead of Minnesota to pick Woods for us, and then trade a future 1st rounder for him.

A little while before the draft, oielpere had some information on woods.

"L. Woods: His stock was initially quite high. It fell amid all the media microscopic (“in depth analysis”) attention that had him as being too soft, with a limited shot and a questionable lagging/lazy on again-off again game effort. His stock has ridden a whole lot lately, both by his hard summer work and some (actually,all) excellent workouts with a variety of teams. He has hit the weights, his shot is well above average(consistently) and he showed some great defense performances. I fully expect him to go earlier (a whole lot earlier) than anyone anticipates. "

The reason that Woods fell so much was because teams were afraid to take a chance on his previously injured back. When a couple of teams passed on him, it caused a dominoe effect, and everyone else was too afraid to take a chance on him also. Based on this analysis by Oielpere, it really doesn't look like Woods's back was any problem at all. We could really use a center more than another small forward like Morris. We already had Griffen who should command plenty of minutes, and then the ever developing Danforth Langhi. I just don't really see the point of picking another small forward, when we could have addressed our big center problem right there with Woods.

thoughts?

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited June 29, 2001).]

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Woods will be another Cato. Injury prone and lazy. How many talented big men are there in this league. Not many and Loren Woods will never be one of them.

------------------

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

He is an excellent second round pick. I would of traded a future 2nd round pick for him. He is at least better than Cato but he does not have the contract.

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

4. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Man, I was pushing hard in the draft chat for us to do something to get Woods. I'd have sent 2 2nd rounders or maybe even a first to Minnesota for him. I didn't like his game and potential earlier, but I've thought about it and I really think he's gonna make a solid pro. He is the kind of C this team really needs, and if we had him, this draft would've been an even bigger success, IMO.

Although, I really liked Jason Collins better than Woods. I honestly wish we could've thrown something else in the trade instead of Collins, but hey, it's no big deal . . . it's finally hitting me that WE GOT EDDIE GRIFFIN!!!!! OMG!!!!

------------------
    CC.net's most courteous driver

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for a job right now, so hire me please :)

5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard on the radio that what really scared teams away from Woods wasn't his back problems or his skills or his physique. Basically, the guy came off like a quitter in the camps and workouts. He played like he was bored and even walked out on one workout before it was finished. If you were an employer, would you hire a potential employee who walked out of an interview before it was done? Not me, and I think the poor Wolves are in for a big shock when they see what Woods will really give them (jack ****). They should have taken Ken johnson or Alvin Jones - at least they'll try.

So in answer to your question - absolutely not.

------------------

6. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

I think adding Woods or Ken Johnson, even at a price of a future #1 would have really set us up well potentially. They both would be the types of players we need, good defenders at the C position who don't demand a lot of touches.

There are not the work ethic questions about Johnson, but Woods is right now a much better offensive player. I would have loved to see us get one of these two. But, I'll take what we got. ;>)

------------------

7. Franchisedream

If Woods had bad workouts like that, I am content that we passed on him. With that many teams passing on him, the concerns must have been major.

A bad, or lazy attitude is bad enough, but factor in any of the back issues, and undersized concerns and I think it's fine we passed on him.

Maybe Woods will really amount to a steal for the T-Wolves, but why take the chance?

------------------

8. JAG

JAG Member

Actually, i think Woods would have been a PERFECT 2nd round pick up for us if we could have worked out a deal. Think about it...An athletic shot blocker with nice moves, AND a bad back and maybe attitude problem. Hmmm..Sounds perfect. Bring him in, see if the back or attitude prove to be a problem. If not, Bob's your sister's brother's mother's brother, and we get great value. Big men are a find. If not, well, he's a second round pick, so I say " Mr. Woods, we hardly knew ya. "

------------------