1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we go after Casspi?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Feb 25, 2017.

1. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

2. Nivos

Nivos Member

Man, you haven't watched Gentile plays have you?
    He can't shoot even if his life depends on it. I would compare him to a much worst Rubio if anything.
    He might turn out to be an ok NBA player, but it will take him much more time to learn the game. The European basketball is completely different, and his biggest advantage in Europe, size and athleticism won't be a difference maker in the NBA.
    I would have a shot at him for sure in training camp next year, but definitely not for a Playoff run.
    Casspi is just a decent backup in case someone gets injured, I wouldn't take Dekker's minutes for him for sure.
    I wish there was a better option for a wing out there but I'd hate to see the nasty face of Matt Barnes here and Garry payton the 3rd just not cutting it for our needs. He's not the 3/4 guy and we already have 5 guards on our rotation.
    We'll see in a few days I guess

3. 713KLP

713KLP Member

Easy, I am looking at fit and who we are connected to. You are looking at an unproven commodity that is overseas and does not really fit.

6.1 points on a 46%/39.4%/57.1% shooting split, 4 rebounds, and 1.1 assists in 18.3 minutes. That's decent production out of what would be our 10th man. He averaged 11.8 points on a 48.1%/40.9%/64.8% shooting split, 5.9 rebounds, and 1.4 assists in 27.2 minutes the season before under George Karl, who's system is more like MDA's than Joerger's.

4. bongman

bongman Member

Beverley , Capela, Harrel, Dekker were all unproven before getting any minutes and look at how our team looks. Casspi has not played with these players and exactly the same system so he is just as unproven as Gentile. This forum has been filled with posters who are so sure that player X will or not fit and often times were wrong. We traded 2 players to get $3.5M for waivers to sign an injured player who may or may not be ready for the playoffs?

5. 713KLP

713KLP Member

Adding Gentile is similar to adding Bev and different from all your other examples, and what happened with Bev does not happen often. And no, Casspi is not "just as unproven Gentile." That is absolutely ridiculous. Casspi is an 8-year verteran that has made 446 3s in his career. Gentile would be a rookie. As far as we are concerned, Gentile is not even on our radar for this season.

This seems to be really hard for you to grasp, bro: We have 2 open roster spots, 3 if we cut Brown. We can afford to sign Casspi for the minimum and wait for him to recover. We'd still have plenty of cash and an open spot to sign Sanders or Bogut. It does not hurt us at all and gives us a player that fits the system and can help us down the line.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Casspi vs Gentile is an easy argument to make:

Casspi would be more help this year, because there's no way Gentile could show up, learn MDA's system, learn the pace and flow and speed of the NBA game, learn an entirely new culture, etc., in a month or two. At least not to a degree where he could help us. All Casspi has to do is heal. He knows the NBA, knows the city of Houston, and has already played with some of our guys. He can continue to work out and stay in shape because, guess what? Only one finger is impaired.

That said, I don't want either of these polish-needing-turds, because neither helps much at all this year. We need a big with a defensive presence. Period. Nothing else moves the needle at all.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But can Catsby sing? that's the real question

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We have a few roster spots open now, don't we? I could see him occupying the final spot on the bench for the minimum. That'd be interesting to me.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty sure that's still B Brown's spot . . . ;)

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's his prerogative. He can do what he wants to do.

11. rockets13champs

I think we need another 4 with Ryan Anderson's health issues. Omri Casspi is a week from being cleared to return and still playoff eligible....