1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we bring Robert Horry back to Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bacteria10, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Rocketman15

Rocketman15 Member

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Exactly. He is no longer starting quality but it would not hurt to have him as the 9-10th man or something, he could be useful. His shooting has deteriorated, but he can still play better post defense than probably any of our 4s--why do you think he was playing for the Lakers at all.

If he wants to play here for cheap just because he wants to return home why not take him--you are not going to find better guys than him to fill your last couple roster spots and he could even be useful in some situations where generally your 10th, 11th and 12th men aren't useful except in emergencies.

3. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Everyone says Horry takes the regular season off, but consider this, every year Horry has been in the league, his team has always made to the second round of the playoffs, and the playoffs is where the Rockets want to be right?

I think Horry taking off the regular season is overrated. His demeanor makes it look like he does.

The guy is a winner, and the Rockets need players like that.

4. CRC

CRC Member

No... by the time Rockets can put Horry's clutch play to good use for a championship run... he will be too old... oops, actually I think he's already too old for that right now. :D

5. Yao Dat

Yao Dat Member

Horry can't play the 3. We need to sign "baby jordan" harold minor instead.

6. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

WOW!!!! Minor over Horry.....I think I just had a 10 year flash back :eek:

7. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

id take him for the veterans minimum.......thas about it.

8. CRC

CRC Member

on a second thought, I don't mind having Horry on the team if he's willing to receive the veteran minimum & perform some Will Smith entertainment for us before tip-off :D

9. UHcat

UHcat Member

No please no.

10. Ferddieg

Ferddieg Member

Horry will be a great addition to the team, He's a smart veteran, maybe you didn't notice how he played D's on a lot of elite players like Karl Malone, Duncan, Garnett... He can be a very good mentor to EG, MO, Cato and Yao. Experiences makes a lot of difference, He's got 5 rings. He help Rockets big time on 2 champs here. LA would have got only 1 NBA champ. If Horry wasn't playing there. I think he's got a lot left on him. Sometimes there is a monkey on your back. hopefully the monkey is gone for dead if he comes here.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. bongman

bongman Member

In defense of Horry, I feel that he was the best post passer that both Hakeem and Shaq ever had. He would consistently give them the ball where they wanted it. Isn't this one of the biggest complaints here in this BBS and other experts? "Get the Ball to Yao".

I don't understand why some folks here felt that he underachieved. He was a low lottery pick and any high expectations of him (next Scottie Pippen) was created by the Rockets organization or fans and not the league. You can disagree with this but I suggest that you look at the players on this honorable mentioned list: http://www.nba.com/draft2003/sleepers_030618.html
    That is a list is what most players on the NBA wants to be in.

He is also considered by a lot of experts to be one of the greatest clutch players (top 5) in the history of the game. He almost always made the shot when the game was on the line. The only shot he failed to connect was this year's game 5 against SA. That was In and Out. We would not be talking about his free agent status if he made that shot.

Horry is the type of player that plays for the team and his contributions cannot be measured by stats so it might be a tad unfair if you are merely looking at his stats.

I am not saying that we hire him. Just give him his due respect.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

yeah lets bring in another small power forward, just what need, what are the rockets trying to collect a set of guards in POWER FORWARDS body's

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Anyone else remember the Horry for Mo Taylor trade rumors that were going around at the trade deadline? Looking back I wish we would have pulled the trigger just to get Taylor's contract off the books. I really think that contract hurts us the most, at least Cato is on one the top back up centers in the league, and yeah Moochie's hurts too, but Mo's contract is twice as big as his. Oh well, I'd bring Horry in for the veteran minimum and nothing more.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think Robert Horry can still contribute playing about 15-20 mpg. If we can sign him for the veteran's minumum, Isay go for it, it'll give us an excuse to package Mo Taylor to another team to give us some backcourt depth. Maybe the Blazers would be interested in giving us Derek Anderson for him, since they'll need a decent scoring forward with Rasheed Wallace on the trading blocks and Scottie Quitten returning to Chicago to finish up his career. The player formerly known as Big Shot Rob can still help us out, coming off the bench.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

To you yes people -

Do you know more about basketball than the Lakers organization?

Come on people, they cut him and they don't have a decent backup.

17. kellume

kellume Member

NO....We already have his twin in Eddie Griffin...Another underachieving power forward who thinks that shooting 3's is an art form....

18. dreamshake2

dreamshake2 New Member

What the heck do we need and old, banged up, Bob Horry for? Don't get me wrong, he was unbelievable in the playoffs for the Rockets in the mid 90's (averaged 17 ppg in the 95 playoffs), and continued to be a big playoff performer, not consistant, but being in the right place at the right time, and hitting big shots. Plus, he can't guard anyone either. We need someone to rip down rebounds and play D!

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

No they have not "cut him", they decided they didn't want to pay 5+ million for him next year because they think they can get him for cheaper. Horry if nothing else is a decent post defender--certainly better to throw at the elite WC 4s than anyone the Rockets have had in 3+ years.

The Lakers will almostly surely try to resign him for the vet minimum now that they did not extend his more costly contract. If he wants to sign with the Rockets for the vet minimum you do it--you are not going to find a more valuable 9th, 10th man elswhere--one who can come in right away with reasonable respect from officials and match-up with the tougher 4s. For us as witht he Lakers this is especially valuable given the need for defense in the 4 spot. For us it also gives you more flexibility to trade MoT or EG for a non PF or BOTH of them for a better 4 because you have that other back-up 4 who can give you quality, veteran, minutes.

20. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Lakers let the option expire because they would have to pay Horry $5 mil otherwise. Believe me, they would love to take him back for the veteran minimum, but I don't think they will be able to. Horry will get a contract more than veteran minimum, probably even the MLE somewhere. He is only 33, and he is a smart player who can make big shots (OK, he had a bad playoff, but shooting skills don't go away easily. Look at Kerr). If we can't get some younger help, such as Brand or PJ for our PF, then I would sign Horry for 2-3 years. However, he is not quite likely to be take for veteran minimum.

BTW, why are the words 9th man or 10th man coming up? I can see he start over EG if EG doesn't improve much under JVG.

#80 canoner2002, Jul 4, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2003