1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we bring Hakeem home?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Aug 22, 2002.

1. hardeji

hardeji Member

Dennis, gee, you're right.

Without Francis we wouldn't have made the playoffs the past two years (oops, we didn't!) and we wouldn't be looking at the MAX contract for maybe the 4th or 5th best PG in the league, would we?

2. hardeji

hardeji Member

I'm with Dennis, MoT is FAR better than Hakeem now.
    I'll ante and raise you one..... I'd rather have Collier than Hakeem.

3. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Are you implying that with Hakeem we would have made the playoffs?:confused:

4. hardeji

hardeji Member

Hell no!

All I'm saying is that all those trades/drafts/newcomers have not gotten us any closer.

Compare Houston to the Mavs, Kings, etc., even Boston or NJ, they are much closer than we are at this time. We've hedged our bets with a very good, but not the best, point guard, an up-and-coming PF, some journeymen, and some "serviceable" role-players.

Do you feel we have a real "franchise" player? Who on this team would Dallas trade Dirk for? NJ Kidd? Minneapolis Garnett? San Antonio Duncan? Orlando McGready? Lakers ....no, we won't go there.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So since he says the team should stay intact (which could be just contract posturing, by the way), that means he should take whatever the Rockets offer? He has NO choice but to stay with the Rockets after saying that? Anyway, how does that translate to "convincing Rudy to stand pat, and not going after available talent"? You have zero evidence to back up that claim. Your suggesting the team totally changed their mind on what direction to head in for the future after hearing Hakeem say they should "stand pat". Do you think that's how the organization is run? They decide what to do by what a player says in the media?

As you've already been reminded, Dickerson brought the Rockets Francis, a player you apparently don't want on the team.

How have they suffered? They've acquired 3 top 7 picks in the past 4 years. They've had two bad seasons because of injury. What's suffering to you? Not making the playoffs? Do teams ever get to rebuild?

6. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I think that really separates a true Rocket fans. And I'm really looking forward to Hakeem and his jersey retire her in H-Town, Without doubt he is one of the best center ever played the game in Houston. Back off kids!! Hakeem did'nt harm anyone else in Houston, So why should You!!!

You're alright, ZRB!!!

7. hardeji

hardeji Member

We should be re-loading, not re-building.

Yes, I like Steve. But I do not believe that he is the dominant type of player that can lead us past the 2nd round. He may become that kind of player, but I don't have a crystal ball.

Rudy trusted Hakeem. Nuff said.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Do you have a point here? What does any of this have to do with Hakeem? That's what we're talking about, right?

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Au contraire my friend. True Rockets fans cannot forgive Olajuwon for the parting shots he made at Rudy and the organization. The ones who want Olajuwon back, are the Olajuwon fans, not the true Rockets fans.

How do we know if Olajuwon will be happy coming off the bench? He b****ed and moaned 2 years ago about not getting enough touches. He did the same thing last year too. I am not going to assume that Olajuwon will take the high road, considering the crap he said when he went to Tor.

Also, why the hell would Tor want Cato? They weren't willing to pay Clark 6+ mill a year, yet they'll pay that much for Cato? Hahahaha. They would rather have Olajuwon and his shorter-term contract than Cato and his long-term contract.

There is no chance in hell that Olajuwon will be a Rocket. He burned too many bridges on the way out. I am loving every minute of seeing Olajuwon get what he deserves over the way he's been so damn selfish over the last 2-3 years. Just for comedy reasons, I'd like to see Olajuwon play another 10 years. If he played 10 more years, it would probably mean that he played on 10 teams, because he'd sign with one team, b**** and moan then get traded ever year.

Olajuwon has showed his true colors by taking the money and his pride and going to Tor. He's obviously our greatest player of all-time, but it's not worth bringing him back to become a cancer on a young team.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

While we're at it, why don't we bring back Moses Malone and Elvin Hayes?

11. Possum

Possum Member

Here is one Hottoddie would be proud of.

Houston trades: Maurice Taylor ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 25.5 minutes)

Houston receives: C Hakeem Olajuwon (7.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 22.6 minutes)
    C Michael Stewart (2.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.3 apg in 8.4 minutes)
    C Eric Montross (2.4 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 13.4 minutes)
    PF Michael Bradley (1.1 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 0.1 apg in 4.5 minutes)

We would be dumping two big long term contracts for two contracts that end in 2 years(Stewart and Montross). Just in time to allow us to play and pay our young guys (Ming and Griffin) the big money they are going to deserve. Hakeem can still produce as much Cato and I believe this is the last year of his contract isn't it? If so that’s more money of the books sooner. We could split the time between Ming and Hakeem and have Montross for fouls. Stewart could sit on ir all year.

C- Ming, Hakeem, Montross
    PF- Griffin, KT, Bradley
    SF- Rice, Boki, TMo
    SG- Mobley, OT
    PG- Francis, Moochie

12. hardeji

hardeji Member

Well said, KidRockster!

I too remember those comments/parting shots at Houston ("I blot dese teem two shampionsheeps.....".

He burnt the bridge, now let's get on with some basketball.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Possum, this topic has been brought up over and over and over again...

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35514
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35519
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37360
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37856

I would really love it for him to come here, but the odds of that are very very slim....

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree w/ A-Train....I think Cato as a backup to Ming isn't a bad idea after all....

14. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

no bring back Bryce Drew:D

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Oh my gawd, kidrock and I actually agree on something...

Good evening, folks...today, the weather forecast for the land of Hades calls for some snow flurries in the morning, followed by some sleet in the late afternoon. The high will reach about 17 degrees with a low tonight of about -5. Look for an overnight snowfall of about 5-6 inches...