1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should we bench Reddick for game 7?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Daddy Long Legs, Oct 31, 2017.

?

What should we do regarding Reddick?

1. Ride with Reddick and trust what he's done all season

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. React quickly and pull him because we don't have the luxury of patience in a game 7

48 vote(s)
    71.6%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Outside of the ultra important game 2 HR, Marwin has been too quiet as well.
    Hence the 7-8-9 giveaway inning problem.

Meanwhile the Dodgers score 2 on their 8-9-1 hitters.

Need to get Gattis more ABs.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Every time that weak looking dude go up to bat, i know he will either miss it or hit a weak out.

3. mightybosstone

It's certainly a conversation worth having. This isn't like the Springer discussion. George had one really awful game after a couple of mediocre (but still not awful) series. Reddick has been abysmal across the board, and that strikeout last night with no outs and men on second and third may very well have cost them the game. I'd liken this more to the way they handled Giles. Ken had multiple chances to get the job done and was consistently blowing leads. If Hinch is willing to do it with his closer, he should be willing to do it in his lineup as well.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Marwin doubled down the LF line last night and unfortunate placement of a line drive that would have driven in a run. He's not a problem.

The Reddick SO was absolutely terrible but I think you just have to ride with him at this point. Keeping him in also gives you two good pinch runner options off the bench in Maybin and Fisher should we need it; later in the game I wouldn't hesitate to pull Mccann off the basepaths if he gets on to try to steal our way to an extra run.

Daddy Long Legs and Hey Now! like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The bigger dilemma for me is whether to be superstitious or just a realist. We won when I wore an orange shirt a couple times, and lost when I wore a blue shirt. But, we lost when I wore the orange shirt last night, so it wasn't lucky after all. I haven't tried white yet, so maybe I will just wear a white shirt. So many choices, and none of them really matter if I am just going to forget superstition and call it hogwash. Maybe I should just get real, and sing the song....

6. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

@HeyNow! Agreed. I’d like to see us put Bregman down in the lineup to break up our vulnerability to LHP and put Reddick in a spot to succeed. It’s the same lineup we’ve used all season vs RHP.

Yes I’m as frustrated with Reddick as everyone else, but we have no better options.

BigMaloe and Hey Now! like this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep! And..... it potentially keeps Marwin hitting left-handed; he's been significantly better left-handed.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Generally agree that I still have confidence in Marwin in a much different way than Reddick.

But the guy is still just 3-21 with 3 walks. He has the same OBP as Reddick in the WS. Both have 5 strike outs.

Agree with Maybin, Fisher comment.

Still would rather have Gattis in there getting multiple ABs instead of Reddick, or somehow. 3 for 10, 4 walks, 0 strikeouts... even if no extra base hits.

They've gone a bit home run happy this series. Gattis is putting the ball in play.

9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

The time to bench Reddick has come and gone. They should have benched him last night and run with Cam Maybin who is 2-5 with a walk against Rich Hill. Tonight with Darvish being a right handed pitcher Reddick will be in.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

As brutal as his postseason has been (only 1 extra base hit), I don't think you bench him here. The question is should he be trusted against a LHP in a big spot?

11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

12. mightybosstone

Can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully Reddick will finally come through with 1-2 solid at-bats tonight. If not, hopefully it won't matter and they get enough offense from the rest of the lineup.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Hitting 8th complicates the situation - but I would guess he'll have a much shorter leash v LHP tonight.

14. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

We are not asking for him to carry the team we are asking for him to give us something besides the strikeouts that Reddick has given.

15. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

hoping he comes through and gives some solid at bats.

16. HookemHorns1250

Why would you bench him when he's finally going to face a righty tonight?

I thought we learned about the "Benching" threads when Springer's name was brought up. You ride the horses that got you here. Reddick was huge for us to get to the record we did. You certainly don't wait until game 7 of the world series to "Bench him."

arkoe likes this.
  17. body slam

body slam Member