1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should this have been a Jeremy Lin steal, or was it the right call?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2013.

1. VanityHalfBlack

So that makes it 2 steals???? or 1 1/2 steals and a baby coming soon to a theater near you?

2. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

The argument is on whether Mahinmi gained possession of the ball or not.

League pass has a different angle on the replay, Mahinmi dribbled the poked ball once and was trying to catch it back with both hands and there's Lin intercepted and took away the ball. So was that one dribble of the ball = gained possession? If you think so, then the steal should go to Lin and turnover on Mahinmi. If there's no possession, which was the scorekeeper's view apparently, turnover on Hill and steal by Asik.

3. ERC

ERC Member

+1. What Freemaniam said. I saw "Mahimi Turnover: Lost ball. Steal: Lin."

4. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

In the past NBA stats model the steal goes to the JL, but in the have changed it one or two years ago. Now, the steal goes to Asik.

5. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Auto correct lol.

6. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Well, it doesn't matter. It is just a number.

7. brah

brah Member

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Asik with the forced fumble and Lin with the fumble recovery.

Scorekeeping is notoriously shady and prone to bias, as there is no known penalty for making errors, and the NBA has the reputation of being rigged.

9. munco

munco Member

The scorekeepers gave him 0 steals tonight? I was watching casually but I thought he at least two.

10. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

who cares? we still lost....

11. Nook

Nook Member

Don't know who deserved credit for the steal, but the pass to Harden was a really nice one.

12. dantian

dantian Member

I fully agree.

13. ParsonsBoy

ParsonsBoy Member

I thought it was Lin's at first but I can see why that is Asik's. It happens all the time. It was borderline since he did gain repossession of the ball but very temporarily.

14. ChandlerBANG

ChandlerBANG Member

This.

15. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Each guy should get a 0.5 steal like the NFL gives 0.5 sacks. That would make the most sense, since both guys deserve credit but neither would have been able to get a steal without the other. That'd be cool if the NBA did that, oh well. Within the NBA rules, I'd say give it to Lin. The Pacer player regained enough control of it and Lin took it away from him.

16. Karolik

Karolik Member

I've seen Lin poke the ball away and Harden get the ball and the steal credit multiple times.