1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets match the DMo offer sheet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Should the Rockets match DMo's offer sheet

1. Yes

77.1%
  2. No

22.9%
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The way the contract is structured? Yes, match it.

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

If it really is on guaranteed this year I can't imagine the rockets not matching.

Even if this trigger date is say around the trade deadline.

That still gives you around 30 games to see if he's really going to be a contributor or not.

It's strange because this sounds similar to the deal we heard the rockets were offering. I also read that dmo is already back in houston, the team gets back tom. Maybe he know houston is going to match.

3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I voted yes. For those of you who also voted yes, I just want to say one thing: if we match and (knock on wood) DMO's back flares up and we're stuck with his contract, please nobody should blame Morey for matching. You are ALL for it!

On 2nd thought, nah, who am I kidding. Some people will whine and complain about every single one of Morey's moves regardless. Haters gunn hate.:confused:

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's the deal in one spot, scattered in the long thread

$37m/4yrs just 1yr guaranteed ... but Rox have to accept 2yr before end of this season.

From Woj, reporting from Bobby Marks as he examines the offer sheet.

"The contract delivers the ability to void the final two years of the contract, as well as an opportunity to bail on the second season before the end of the 2016-17 season, league sources told The Vertical."

#24 heypartner, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  5. Exiled

Exiled Member

no this is so easy , first he should take McHale and Parson with him on bus tour to Lithuania to recruit him

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm still not sure that article is accurate. But hey, the writer was a front-office guy for the Nets for 20 years, so maybe it is.

7. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

THIS! This deal is probably even worse than the one Rockets were lowballing with. There's a team option for basically every year, not even this season guaranteed, Morey was offering this season fully guaranteed. It's like Morey and Marks agreed on this under the table, but Marks made it slightly worse and larger so that NBA can't prove it lol. But the contract is terribul from a player perspective, weird DMo and his agent/agency are celebrating this. I'm not complaining, at least we'll see DMo playing in Rockets uni again, no way Morey doesn't match a better deal for Morey than Morey was giving himself.

8. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

Isn't there a rule in CBA that there can't be more than 1 date for team to pick up player option? This contract according to Vertical makes it sound like there's 3 times Nets/Rockets can pick up DMo's option in one contract aka trigger dates That looks super player unfriendly and not something player union would have signed up for.

Jayzers_100, Tha_Dude and topfive like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The options should be

"Yes"

and

"I hate the Rockets"

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Well, that article was absolutely true.

Only one year guaranteed.

This is from Woj himself:

"The contract delivers the ability to void the final two years of the contract, as well as an opportunity to bail on the second season before the end of the 2016-17 season, league sources told The Vertical."

Basically, the Rox have to decide before the end of this season whether we want to guarantee next year.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know, I think that DMo may like that deal though, because if the team bails on the 2nd year, then he is an UFA, which is what he wants anyway....so maybe that is why he signed it to get free? Figuring Morey will match and then want the cap room?

DD

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Well, there's that. He basically quoted the same article from the Vertical. I'll still wait and see.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

WAIT A MINUTE!

HOLY ****!

Only $5 million of the entire contract is guaranteed. Check this out, from Woj:

"The offer sheet has Motiejunas earning $5 million upon the signing of the contract, and the team has to decide by Jan. 10 whether to pay him another $3.5 million for the remainder of the 2016-17 season, league sources said."

Technically, one half a season is guaranteed. Dayum.

Time to get a new agent, DMo.

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Then he could have just accepted ROX offer and be free in one year, with at least one year of guaranteed money. Lol

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, he wouldn't have been, because they have a team option, this could be DMo betting on himself.

DD

butterball and hakeem94 like this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Matching Dmo now would be a waste of everyone's time. There is no room for him on this team anymore. He won't play much.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

And once again, you earn your moniker. Well done!

18. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

No, that's not it. If DMo becomes unrestricted FA next summer, that means he was really bad or got injured, otherwise why would team let him go after this year?

19. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

LLOL. If he's so sure ROX will give him up within one year in this new contract, why is he afraid ROX will pick up the team option with the original offer.

Stop making it sound like DMO got a better offer. He did not.

JJWhat? likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Trust me. Once he starts bricking those threes he will immediately become our newest cheerleader.