1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets make a play for LaMarcus Aldridge?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

How is this even a question? I get the feeling he'll either stay in Portland or go to the Lakers when they trade Gasol which by all indications is very soon.He would thrive under Pringles.

2. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

For example, I would never traded Parsons for Melo, although Melo is a superstar...

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

sure it does. Aldridge+Harden+30 mil cap space > Harden + a bunch of mediocre assets.
    It just doesn't make sense for the Blazers.

4. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

His rookie year, maybe, but not even close now. LMA bangs in the post now and is one of the best pick and roll defending big men in the game.

Plus, the dude is an athletic 7 footer with long arms. Outside of Harden, there is nobody Portland would want for LMA.

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

You would be the worst GM of all time. Even if you don't like Melo, you take that deal. His value is through the roof and you could improve your team immensely by flipping him for a king's ransom.

6. rogower

rogower Member

Chandler Parsons provides insane bang for one's buck at his price, whereas Carmelo Anthony is one of the most expensive players in the league. Further, Parsons has been the superior player this year from a statistical standpoint; see http://www.thenbageek.com/players?single_page=1.

Parsons is by far the more valuable trade chip. A well-managed team such as Houston is not going to be interested in trading Parsons, especially not for an overpaid prima donna like Carmelo Anthony. Poorly managed teams, such as the Knicks, meanwhile, will continue to hand massive contracts to players such as Anthony and Amare Stoudemire and will only get so far.

If New York were to offer Carmelo Anthony for Chandler Parsons and expiring contracts (which Houston doesn't really have, but let's say they did, for argument's sake), Houston would turn them down, because Houston is a well-managed team. I will say that a poorly managed team would stupidly jump at the chance to trade Parsons for Anthony, but Houston isn't poorly managed. So there you go.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

but your link says that Goran Dragic > James Harden. Houston let Dragic go and gave Harden 80 mil. So, Houston is poorly managed. So, Houston would take that deal. :grin:

you guys are all sarcastic about Carmelo and Parsons, right?

8. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

9. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Yeah dude, Melo sucks

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fa%2Fanthoca01%2Fgamelog%2F2013%2F&div=div_pgl_basic"></script>

10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Portland would've been interested in Lamb as a key piece. They need depth badly, and they wouldn't deal LA unless they got a bunch of quality assets.

I doubt they'd consider unless they got a mix of: Asik, Jones, Motiejunas, 2013 1st, Parsons.

I'd deal: Jones, Motie, 2013 1st and Morris for him. Throw in Pat for one of them if they wanted someone more experienced.

Then upgrade at PG in the 2013 free agency.

11. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I agree... I'm not completely against getting Aldridge, but what would we give up? And the problem wit Aldridge would be that he is not the final piece (and is 27)... So he theoretically would shorten our window, ESPECIALLY if it took us another year or two to acquire the final piece. I don't want to win 50 games for 4 years. I want a legit contender.

12. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

This is a classic case of people wanting what they don't have and not realizing that you have a player on your team that does the exact same thing. I'm not saying Pat is as good as Aldridge, but they are both 4's that likes to shot jumpers, and medicore at best as rebounding. Plus Pat don't have back problems.

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

The difference between a good player and a great one is incredibly significant in the NBA, where the difference between a good team and a great one is small.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Boy, if you view Patterson as someone who is somewhat even close to Aldridge's skillset then that's quite baffling to be honest.

Patterson is a stretch 4 who isn't a threat inside. Just like Channing Frye and Steve Novak. You would almost never see these guys dominate nor command attention/doubles in the post.

Aldridge on the other hand is a legit post player with a consistent and deadly jumper. Quite similar to Rasheed Wallace in his heydays. Their game represents what a true power forward is supposed to be.

Sure we'd all rather have a Kevin Love or a DeMarcus Cousins but odds are, we are not getting either of those since they aren't free agents and any GM who would even entertain the thought of trading those players at this point of their careers should be fired from their jobs.

So yeah, lets be more realistic and try not to overvalue our players (which we tend to do as fans). Patterson's upside is exactly what you have seen these past few games. That's it. I'd be surprised he somehow becomes a legit post threat because that just isn't his game and lacks the skillset to do so.

15. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Only in ClutchFans:

"Patterson is just like LaMarcus Aldridge"

"Parsons is more valuable than Melo"

16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I was supposed to quote T-Slack not you, Beebeard.

17. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

But havent you saw the game a few days ago, Parsons has shown that he is more valuable than Melo...a better leader...Parson's rockets won over new york nicks by almost 30 points margin, and parsons was leading a bunch of rookies who together have less starting nba games under their belt than melo alone...:grin::grin::grin:

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Time to give Daryl Morey his props. They ranked 2Pat #6 prospect in the 2010 draft, if I recall properly.

I think's 2Pat's definitely leapfrogged
    Wesley Johnson
    Ekpe Udoh
    Al-Farouq Aminu
    Gordon Hayward
    Cole Aldrich
    Xavier Henry
    Ed Davis

on this list, putting him 7th in the draft. With Evan Turner, Derrick Favors, above him by a small margin only, and Larry Sanders Eric Bledsoe candidates to overtake him.

A pretty good 'low-risk' choice by Morey. As he said, better lucky than good!

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Believe or not, I still don't see Patterson regaining all his athleticism back yet a full year from his sugery. He's getting there, but his thunderous dunk rookie year reminded me of prime Karl Malone.

It's scary to think how good he can be down the road. His ceiling is superstar.

20. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]