1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets make a play for LaMarcus Aldridge?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Agreed on the Yao remark; but it won't stop Morey when he's talking to free agents (not that Aldridge is one), considering how hard Morey had to work at Les' behest to get the guy.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd trade all our PFs for Aldridge. He'd be perfect playing with Harden and Asik. Heck, I'd trade anyone on our roster not named Harden or Asik.

LA is one of the most underrated stars in the league.

3. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

What a vicious article. Kevin Duckworth praise alongside Aldridge slights? Really?

What I like is that at least the topic of trading LaMarcus away is finally being broached again by the Portland media. This, in the wake of all those supposed assurances by Blazers ownership that they were willing to make a commitment to him going forward.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

He is a very good player, but realistically not the PF Houston needs. What are you going to do when both LA and Asik are on the court together? How would you run the offense? One or both of LA and Asik would be marginalized since they both need the space close to the rim. Offensive spacing would a total mess, and both of them being in the paint area would close off the dribble drives the Rockets depend so much on.

So what would be the skill set of the ideal Rockets PF? Back to the basket game, rebounding, three point range, decent defender. Rasheed Wallace in his prime comes to my mind as a great PF for the Rockets. The closest thing, IMHO, right now that is within the Rockets reach is D-Mo. Who knows? Let us see how he develops.

5. philchips

philchips Member

Didn't you read the article? I agree with what he said. He's not a defensive presence and he's a jump shooter not a post player. He's a better patterson, I'll pass!

6. philchips

philchips Member

Oh yeah, you would have to give up parsons & t.jones most likely to get him. I'm not willing to do that either.

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I'd rather get Millsap when the Jazz realize they have too many bigs up front that are better suited to a rebuilding team

Kanter and Favors will be on bargain contracts for the forseeable future

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Nah, i'd rather play the waiting game .... and see what we got in Donatas Motiejunas and Terrence Jones. Both are locked in on rookie deals, and both possesses really talented, and interesting, skill sets. Hell, I think they can possibly be a more talented version of Scola and Landry or Scolandry.

Plus Aldridge is 27 years old, older then anyone in our starting lineup, and is starting to have back trouble. That to me is a big red flag!

9. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

PAUL MILLSAP LADIES AND GENTS!!

10. fattz

fattz Member

No thanks to LMA; we have some home grown that needs some time. Pat Patterson or a Pat Patterson Plus is not the answer to our front court problem. The answer is time and trading Patterson away. I like the promise of Jones and / or D-Mo a lot more than LMA's game today which is only going to slow down in time. Three years ago YES - today well MAYBE - in three seasons NO.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Wow. Is Aldridge getting underrated again?
    He didn't start well, but he's been very good for 2 years. It's not easy to be the best player on that team. The Blazers have no bench. And they have few defensive minded guys. He's playing with JJ Hickson and Lillard who suck defensively, Batum is still on and off. Wes Matthews is the only reliable defender. Yes, Aldridge didn't start well, but even at his best, that team would still be average. And he's kind of proven.

If you could get Aldridge, you should give everything, except Harden. He's better now than any of your prospects are likely to become. He's better than anyone you will likely get with your pick next year. He's better than any free agent you could realistically get until 2015 when Love may or may not be available.

12. David Stern

David Stern Member

I'd pull the trigger as long as Harden and Asik are not included in the package.

If you Get LMA you need a defensive big to make up for his short comings.

If we can make this deal happen while keeping Parson than i'm sold. Talk about a tall and long starting unit.

PG????
    SG - Harden 6'5
    SF - Parsons 6'7
    PF - LMA 6'11
    C - Asik 7'

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

Have you seen him play? He does not need to be in the paint, and is a absolute killer with the PnR. It is kind of like saying Hakeem and Sampson could not work together because they both need to be in the paint. But wait, they got to the 1986 finals (in no way am I trying to compare players though). LA would be a PERFECT FIT.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

^Aldridge is a good defender.
    Deron Williams was bad defensively too last year. It's not easy to carry a crappy team on both ends, it's taxing physically and mentally. Stars often slip defensively in those situations. But a good defender is a good defender.

That article reads like a Bleacher Report piece, btw. "ok... this guy started slow... everyone likes him... trade now"

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

We need a PNR Big man. And I am not sure I agree with your spacing comment. Asik is the kind of player that doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. In fact the less Omer has the ball in his hands the better.

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

the first sentence was a reply to the post that said Aldridge needs to be carried defensively.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Sorry. Why do you think he can take a three point shot consistently? He has taken only 93 three point shots in his career. If they are giving him away sure. But would you want to be paying market value for the guy?

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

well, market value likely starts with Harden. So I wouldn't.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I would trade dmo/ppat/tjones/delfino/parsons/picks/rights to all our overseas players for LA/d-league scrubs...

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A solid take. But setting up the offense these days - where is everyone on the court? What does the interior (rim) look like? And where would you put Asik and LA on the offense? I would propose what the Rockets need is Parsons with a decent back to the basket game. And everything that would come from it.