1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets have traded for Chris Webber?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Feb 26, 2005.

?

Should the rockets have traded for Webber?

1. Yes; he would have made us a legit contender

54 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. No; too much money, too many injuries

169 vote(s)
    63.3%
  3. It's a moot point; the Kings would not have traded him to a WC team

44 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

After the initial shock of C-Webb being traded to Philly for garbage, I can't help but think that the Rockets could have put together a better package.

The Kings got Skinner, KT, Big Nasty, and no cap relief.

The Rockets could have offered JHoward, who in many ways is quite similar to C-Webb(perimeter shooting, passing), and Taylor, as well as draft picks... Two Michigan PFs for one.

C-Webb's knees are shot. He's owed $62 million over the next three years. But by acquiring him, the Rockets would have become instant, serious contenders for a championship. Our rebounding issues would probably be solved. C-Webb and Yao would look good together.

It would have been difficult for me not to pull the trigger on this deal.

That said, this is all assuming that the Kings would have been willing to send Webber to a Western Conference opponent, no less a Western Conference opponent right behind them in the standings.

2. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Philly had better garbage than we had, there would be no way we could have traded for him even if we gave up Juwan and some picks...

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I just don't know about that. KT's being paid through 2009. Brian Skinner's career could be over. And Corliss is being paid through 2007.

At the very least we could have given Sacto more cap flexibility.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd have said both, "No. Too much many. Too many injuries." and "it's a moot point..."

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Landing Webber would've killed our entire offseason, both playoffs and free agency....

6. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Webber dissed us before when he was a free agent. He is a choker in big games. The hubris and arrogance of Webber is stifling. I am glad we did not get him. Our chemistry is good now and we are moving forward. Webber would have been a very bad aquisition....For that kind of money I would rather have a Tim Duncan or Rasheed Wallace-not that they are avalable-just for comparison......

Webber will cause troubles in his last career days at Philly...

A real jerk...

7. corby

corby Contributing Member

I like Webber a lot, but it would be ridiculous to add his $20 million contract on top of two other max contracts (T-Mac and soon-to-be Yao).

We don't need an All-Star big-ego player to team with Rush Hour. What we need are exactly what CD/JVG have been getting us: a posse of underrated, moderately priced role players.

Les would never approve this trade, and he shouldn't. I think we are more effective with what we have now then with T-Mac, Yao, Webber, and nine minimum-salary NBDL scrubs.

8. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I totally agree with everything you said. Webber is a cool idea, but it wouldn't have worked out right. He's too injury prone and would disrupt the team chemistry. The last time he played even 75 games was in '99. Look at the Kings record without him in the last 3 years. (not that it has much to do with the Rockets obtaining him), I can't remember what it was exactly but it was something like 50-13, way better then with him. Great talent, just too much of a liability. Solid role players surrounding our stars is the way to go.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TIMEOUT!!
    No More Michigan Forwards on the Rockets!!!
    [​IMG]

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

With no cap, and a bottomless pit of $$$ to spend, then, heck yes!!! bring in C-Webb, a great fit for Yao AND T-Mac.

However, this is a real world, a real CBA and the answer is uh, uh -- no way.

Now, Najera? Ida liked that!

11. rockets-#1

Obviously, that's C-Webb, J-How, and Rose, but I have a hard time remembering the other two. Could someone remind me who they are, please? It was the Fab Five, wasn't it?

12. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

there was that one guy that has played for the Nugz a couple of time. Don't have a clue about the 5th member of the fab five, however.

13. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That's Ray Jackson on the left and Jimmy King on the right side.

14. rockets-#1

Thanks. I can't say that I know who those two are, though.:D

15. rvpals

rvpals Member

LOL. Totally agreed with you.

16. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

I think if the Rockets are going to look at a four they need to keep a watchful eye on the Dale Davis situation in New Orleans. Davis' agent appears to be in negotiations for a buyout of his contract which could be resolved as early as this weekend. He wants to go to a playoff contender and will likely sign the veterans minimum. As far as production off the bench I think he would be ideal just to see what he can do for us in the playoffs. His minutes have been reduced the last few years in Golden State but he's always been a quality rebounding four.

sfgate.com

17. fa7999

fa7999 Member

How about getting both DD and GP for veteran minimum?

DD will help at 4, and we can use GP's big mouth in the playoff.

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Who are you refering to when you say DD?

as for payton it would be a nice luxury to have but I dont know how he would fit in here and if he would be willing to accept being a role player. he didnt seem to like it last year in la. Once Bobby S is healthy again I am fine with a pg rotation of Bob and Mike

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Dale Davis

20. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Even though he is a fellow Wolverine, you couldn't be more spot-on.

It's not the injuries and contract (ok, a little bit of the contract) it's more his approach to the game. He has gaudy stat-lines, and he is an amazing player, but he needs the ball in his hand way too much. I don't know how many times, I watch him needlessly dribble between his legs or hold the ball.

Webber would stifle the "ball-movement renaissance" we have going currently...

Stuart