1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets go after Amare Stoudemire?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Road Rash, Feb 12, 2010.

1. jose

jose Member

the thing about Danny Ferry is that he only does trades if he robs the other guy.

for example, the cavs got Mo Williams for Damon Jones, Donyell marshall, and Joe Smith (who they got back later anyway).

Shaq for Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic.

and prior to that, drew gooden, larry hughes, some other guys, for delonte west, wally szczerbiak, ben wallace, joe smith.

1 person likes this.
  2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Do you know a guy with season tickets with the Cavs? Maybe you can get some more "inside" information....

3. towW

towW Member

Sounds about right. It was scary hearing Jamison for Ilguaskas trades while Ilguaskas would get picked back up if they agreed to let Ilguaskas go.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why do I keep reading this here? I don't remember them saying anything like that.

Every player is expendable if it improves the team's chances of winning a championship. The only player who won't be traded unless its for a franchise player is Yao.

5. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more !!!!!!!!!!!!

6. towW

towW Member

True but he could use a Shane/Mutombo to prod him along. If we could get Olajuwan to teach him how to use the force. He could be unstoppable or he could turn out to be like this...
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mNbLCA4WHCk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mNbLCA4WHCk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  7. Road Rash

Road Rash Member

Come on dude...

His playoff stats as a Sun:
    25.1 PPG/ 10.4 TRB / 52% FG/ 25 PER
    That's out of a total of 36 career playoff games, 21 of them being against Tim Duncan in his absolute prime.

05 Playoffs: He scored 40 points and 16 rebounds in the 1st game of the Conference-Semis against the Mavs. He continued dominating throughout the playoffs against Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, and Tim Duncan.

Now he's really starting to play like his old self after recovering from previous injuries, but he's playing with a 36 year old Steve Nash and mostly scrubs, and the Suns are still winning.

Is his production overvalued because Nash is setting him up for all his easy baskets?

No, but Nash does help a lot. The same way that if you would take Stoudemire away from Nash, Nash's production would go down.

8. jose

jose Member

yea and tell me what you contributed for information? funny enough that right after I posted my thread, several credible news outlets were writing in their articles about the exact trade I posted about, to quote the person who told me in the first place "It'll be on the news soon anyway".

this thread has nothing to do with the one I made so I suggest you leave it out.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

dude, are you serious?

10. Hball

Hball Member

Morey has indeed said this numerous times, but doesn't seem willing to give up any of the pieces to get the better player overall.

11. towW

towW Member

are you aussie rocket?

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Reasons why Amare isnt coming here:

1.) He is overpaid and wants the max, unlikely to settle for less, thus would be a half year rental. Morey underpays players.

2.) He is expiring w/ a player option for next year. Will he use that option? No, because his contract will be near max which is 15+ million this year, but only 8+ if he begins a contract the year after.

3.) We dont know how good he will be without Steve Nash and the Phoenix system. Example: Shawn Marion - once touted as one of the best players in the league, until he left "the system"

4.) Phoenix isnt giving him away, it will cost a signifigant piece to get him here, likely more than one when factoring in resigning Lowry/Scola.

5.) He was not good when paired with a traditional center. (See Shaq)

6.) Injury prone.

7.) Doesnt play defense beyond an occasional athletic block.

8.) Would likely have to take back Jrich as well which would be a cap hit next year as well, making it nearly impossible to get under the tax this year.

9.) We have 2 really good PFs already, and another who is more than servicable.

13. Road Rash

Road Rash Member

I just see him as a player that would really fit in with this team. His explosiveness and constant offense would fit in perfectly with our current roster. What we have now is everything except this kind of player.

When Yao is back, i think they would work perfectly together. Amare's strengths are Yao's weakness' and vice versa. I also think our defense would improve because Yao can hold down the paint and get all the help he needs from the weakside from Stoudemire.

Amare and Yao would often demand double-teams. We could post up Yao and he could kick it out to Amare who would run straight to the rim for a dunk everytime. That's the thing i really like about his game, he doesn't settle for jumpshots, he attacks the paint over and over. And if Yao is clogging the paint, he is very much able to knock down jumpshots as well.

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

First of all, how is shane battier a long term plan....

and Stoudamire is a big NO in my book.....

--RB

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like a thread that says, "I don't want to go into detail"...

Lolol...

16. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

I think it there is a 100% chance Amare will not opt out next year. He simply will not get a better deal than 17 million. Unless he is really scared he is going to get injured again and is willing to take less money. Which he said he is not.

That being the case, I would trade Amare and Barbosa for TMac and Scola. The problem is that Phoenix would not do this because they cannot guarantee they will be able to resign Scola. But I think Amare would fit very nicely in the Rox. And I can see Barbosa having a comeback with the Rox team. As well as TMac in Phoenix.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

He will opt out. If not because he thinks he can make more money in the short term, at least because of the new CBA. If he waits until it goes into effect he makes less money in the long run.

18. Garner

Garner Member

It is a soft fluffy world you live in, huh?

19. Garner

Garner Member

How do I give rep? I laughed hysterically for a good 5 minutes after watching that video.

Time to watch it again.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Getting a better player is not the only consideration. How it impacts our ability to acquire players down the line is also important.

If Morey could trade Battier for Butler, and Washington was up for it, you better believe he'd do it. Similarly, if he could trade Scola for Jamison, the contracts were the same, and Washington was up for it, that would happen in a heartbeat.