1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets extend Harden to 200 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Purvis2Short, May 14, 2017.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

What does it matter if its round 1 or 2? and why do regular season win totals matter?

But I think what your saying is no, if similar stuff continues to happen, its not a no brainier to resign him in three years.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There is though, because we know Harden played like ****, but we have absolutely no idea why, so a million and one reasons are given, and people actually believe those reasons. It's delusional, and it's a trend of humanity in general.

It's different to say Sam Amick who was embedded with the team suggesting it was the culmination of the impact from the flu, because he was actually a witness to the flu. It's a guess, but it's not a manifestation of delusion. In fact he is lambasted for making a guess based upon evidence by those living the delusion.

jordnnnn and ricardo1979 like this.
  3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Context matters. If the Rockets don't advance to the WCF or Finals in the years to come, we have to look at the big picture and determine why. Is it because Harden played like crap? Or is it because the Rockets don't have the talent to compete with the likes of the Warriors and Spurs(or some other team)?

Take the Clippers for example. Everyone is disappointed that a team with that much talent(at least in their starting 5) hasn't achieved more in the postseason. But again, context matters. When Chris Paul and Blake Griffin go down with injuries in the same game, can you blame them for losing Games 5 and 6 and falling to the Blazers? When Griffin again goes down with an injury this postseason in Game 3, is it shocking they lose to a talented, up-and-coming Utah Jazz team in 7 games?

We need to wait and see how things play out. What I do feel pretty secure in predicting though is that the Rockets need Harden to play better and more consistently to win a title, but at the same time, they won't be champions unless they surround him with more talent(and that talent stays healthy).

4. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

depends, if we can get another superstar, i say keep james, if not, we are better off without him, at least rebuild and get some nice young players, james harden is not the kind of player who can single-handedly bring this team to championship contention, he is not on MJ or KB or LBJ's level by any means, he is at best a D wade.he needs a LBJ or a SHAQ to help him get chip

T for 3 likes this.
  5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Look at our 3pt% for those blowout games. Everybody shot well which means those games are outliers.

How can our bench guys make big plays in crunch time when Harden goes into hero-ball mode?

Ariza is on a cheap contract which is set to expire at the end of next season. How much will it cost to acquire a comparable small forward, and can we afford that? For comparative purposes, Otto Porter is supposedly seeking the max. Capela will also be due for a raise soon.

Consistent defensive stops are extremely difficult when there's a weak link in the chain. Why do you think we eventually used Harden to guard Aldridge? Because we couldn't trust him to guard Mills, Danny Green, or Leonard.

If you trade a player as a last resort, odds are that he'll have lost a lot of his value by then.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I agree that context matters, that's why just saying "the team has performed as well as expected in the playoffs", and "you can't expect Harden to carry this team to a title" are not legitimate enough reasons on their own to resign Harden . A closer look at his individual performances is very necessary. I think the context you provided in the last post was a bit too specific.

As far as the Clippers go, there is plenty of opinion out there that the team should move away from Griffin and Paul. Even if they keep them, it's not a given that it's the right move to do so.

#66 T for 3, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    malakas likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

In the end it's not like we have another choice...with Les, even if Harden is not the guy you think can get it done, you cannot tank so...not extending him doesn't make sense.

Personally i still believe in Harden, but he needs to come out strong next season, i'd like to see a bit different Harden. We basically have one year from now to significantly improve our enviroment and roster, we need better players but also, if not first, Harden to improve.

8. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

"a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

But lbj, kobe, and mj didnt win without other all stars either....

Dont get me wrong, im not saying harden is as good as lbj. Hes not. But harden is a top 5 player. He needs another all star

10. SemisolidSnake

I wouldn't make any choices, especially ones that involves the sum of one-fifth of a billion dollars without extensive psychological testing on James. And, assuming he basically "passes," I'd want to get the guy ongoing psych help. His physical skills are undeniable. He showed many times this season a lot of intelligence on court to score AND assist in scoring so many points.

But he's got some demons and other issues. I, mean, for God's sake, he's only 27, has all the money he could ever possibly need, has all the weight of the team, the league, and the media pressing down on him, and he's expected to always be godlike and always save an inconsistent team. I feel sorry for him to a degree; that's a lot of pressure on one guy. I wouldn't be surprised if it really ****s him up, and makes him do highly erratic things. But, he's also an investment of an insane amount of money, and, I'd find out what's going on in his head and how to help him before ASAP before thinking about injecting that much money into a guy that just had THAT game.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, but we need a veteran leaders to help Harden grow as a leader.

DD

12. riko

riko Member

He just pulled a kobe meaning he said am gonna go show how bad my teammates are . fi don't score heavily will get clobbered

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The problem of leading isn't even the most alarming one..... It is not quit in important games!!!!!

Or any professional games not including test games, exhibition games.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

A guy with championship experience too, If only Jason Terry was available.

#74 T for 3, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup all that extra stuff as far as improvement around him and within himself is pretty much is well known. Nothing new. we've talked about it year after year after year

But none of it matters if JH decides to just forget how to play basketball again and for whatever reason does not show up for games when his team needs it most. Again it's one thing to lose when you put it all out on floor clearly. If that's the case, you tip your hat to your opponent and accept they're just a better team. But just quitting or not bothering to show up or whatever is just unacceptable and no excuse for it especially for an "mvp"

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That guy has never been a leader, we need an accomplished player, someone who is at the end but understands what it takes to lead.

Kevin Garnet a couple of years ago type.....

DD

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

As much as I don't like Harden, stars matter in the NBA far more than any other major sport. You're married to a superstar once you have one on your roster. If you let them walk, you're beginning the next dark ages in terms of roster retooling. Might as well keep tweaking or find a second star that can change the team culture.
    Agreed with this. We need someone else who will be a respected voice of reason on the team. Not Dwight Howard. Howard and Harden were both 1B stars at their best. We need someone who has been a type A; who can make things happen and set an example for Harden in games where he is aloof or sulking.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun mind the dark ages as much as you all do.

Basically it is hit and miss with the draft picks as Morey has done it with tons of role players.

Now it is just Morey and coach developing players.

19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

like a Paul Pierce type? He did wonders for the Clippers mentally weak stars.

Even so, who is the washed up superstar that would come here? Dirk?

20. threepointshot3

Yep I mentioned this earlier. I think Nene helped him somewhat throughout the year. The team needs to surround him with enforcers and vets with great work ethic and leadership

Rocket River likes this.