1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Texans sign ________???

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He's played both. He had 17 sacks in 2009 primarily playing OLB and moving to DE in nickel and dime packages.

2. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

:grin:

3. SacTown

SacTown Member

I can't believe Dumerville was released like that, wow. Wouldn't that be like the Texans releasing Watt?

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

It'd be like releasing Mario 3 years ago. Watt would be like the Patriots releasing Brady.

1 person likes this.
  5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It's not the equivalent of Watt, because Watt's on another planet compared to Dumervil. But, I don't think they really meant to cut him. The miscommunication between both parties led to this. Don't know which side is at fault here though judging by the tweets.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rvil-after-turning-in-contract-after-deadline

6. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Pancakes was just on SR610 and threw cold water on Heyward-Bay, Reed, and McCain. He said the Texans fear Watt will have another monster year and might have to pay both he and Cush next summer so they're prepared to let all free agents walk and go draft heavy. He said if we don't get Reed then it'll be Woodson on a one year deal to groom a rookie safety and they'll build through the draft. The Texans are putting a lot of hope into getting high compensatory picks. Pancakes did say that the Texans may sign a vet receiver after the draft for cheap to bring into camp so I guess the door is open for Chad Johnson. Its Pancakes so take it for what its worth

7. wadero

wadero Member

I hate Pancakes

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So if we're not in "win now" mode I'd just cut Schaub and retain as many other pieces as possible. I don't like this middle of the pack approach to team building.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Texans are afraid watt will have a good year?

That's stupid, even by pancake standards.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. drewd17

drewd17 Member

AKA 120 million/6 year contract

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But we are worse off if watt doesn't have a good year, even if it saves money

13. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Not necessarily Watt comes back down to earth has a 10-15 sack season and other people step up that'll help out but at the end of the day if we don't pay em someone else will.

Cushing and Watt should be Texans for life, plus I wonder if he'd consider a discount if we locked him up early similar to Gronk and Hernandez.

14. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Watt can have a good year but if he has another 22 sack season the Texans will have to cut half the team to extend him and lock up Cush

15. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Unless the cap jumps by a lot in the next couple years 20 million a year is about it. As for Cushing somewhere in the 7-9 range i would assume

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Could be wrong but I think 7-9 for an MLB is high. I don't think he's regarded quite as highly around the league as he is by Texans fan. 7-9 is top 3 ILB money no?

17. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Cush is a top 5 guy, who can get 12 mil a yr on the open market. Hopefully Watt can give a hometown discount a take a Tamba Hali type deal. 20 mil a year is crazy and Watt doesn't seem like the type of guy that needs to be the highest paid defensive player (Mario). I'm pretty sure Cush gets his deal before wk 4 and its backloaded

18. wadero

wadero Member

It all depends on Cush knee. If he has any issues they will either let him walk or offer a BS offer.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Far chance on that Watt deal being at anykind of discount. It's going to be huge.

20. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Bob McNair has man crush on Cush, he's no walking anywhere