1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Scola come off the bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wakkoman05, Mar 21, 2011.

?

Should Patterson start with Scola coming off the bench?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No

78 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. RocketMania1991

You don't pay a guy 5years/47 Million to come off the bench as a reserve.

No way does Patterson take over the starting job. At least not this year or for the foreseeable future.

If Scola ever was moved to the bench it would be a foregone conclusion that a trade would be in place.

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

We paid T-mac and currently pay Yao to NOT play. So, I think you can pay Scola to come off the bench.

3. RocketMania1991

And how has paying T-Mac/Yao boatloads of cash for minor contributions worked out..............?

You don't pay a reserve/bench player starter money unless your name is Jason Terry and a select few others.

If your going to pay Scola to come off the bench you might as well get a cheaper solution or younger player who can cost you alot less. Someone like Carl Landry for example.

4. wakkoman05

wakkoman05 Member

I think Scola has under performed this season. Offensive numbers aren't everything. If you actually watch the games, his defense is atrocious. He is usually the sole cause of a defensive breakdown. You could actually see Lowry getting visibly frustrated with him last game.

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

This thread reminds me of typical Houston fan forum behavior........Praise a player when he plays outta his mind early, think we can build around him, find faults in his game when healthy, scream for a younger replacement later in the season once they realize he wasnt that great to begin with...and finally discard him...*******signed Aaron Brooks, T-Mac, Richard Hidalgo and Morgan Ensberg

6. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

HA HA HA! I don't believe how some people think! First, why would anybody turn around and trade a guy so quickly after acquiring him through trade? Second, what happens when Patterson gets hurt?

Patterson will continue to develop and has many many many great years in the league. Scola is dependable to the end ... let Lowry continue to become a star, let Patterson continue to develop, let Thabeet develop, and let's see where our current team gets us this year. We all know when is the best time to peak as a team, and it's now, and we're doing it. I say we're going to make the playoffs and make a run.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Imo, if Adelman decides to return after this season, I think he would come back for the sole purpose of coaching a guy like Patterson. I'm sure Adelman see's maybe a bit of Chris Webber in him. A bit of a reach to say that but I think Patterson has a high ceiling.

8. oneleftalive

oneleftalive Member

well hes 2pat is not coming in for scola at the 6 minute mark like youre saying but he is starting to take more of scola's minutes, heck even chuckwagon's minutes, he simply makes our team better when hes on the floor

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'm all for moving Scola. However, if we get the 8th spot Scola could go into God-mode and help us upset the 1st seed and advance. I doubt you get that chance with a cheaper solution.

10. VBG

VBG Member

I like Pat coming off the bench as a nice spark. He works well off the bench.

11. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

I'm going to say no. Every team needs a spark off the bench like a Manu or a Landry. Patterson's a great guy, an absolute steal but I think he will be better off giving us energy off the bench. Maybe Luis could come off the bench as a short term solution if his knee is sore but I doubt it.

12. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Wow. Some people are over-reacting way too much into Pattersons last few games.

13. co-nan

co-nan Member

We can copy the way of playing Scola+Landry.
    So Scola start, but PPat plays the last quarter

14. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I was wondering why I don't comment regularly on this board about the team like I did at the beginning of the season. Seeing the comments made on behalf of Patterson makes it clear. People are F***** dumb. Wanting to play Pat as the starter just because he has been doing really well while Scola was hurt makes no sense at all. And not caring if we make the playoffs just blows my mind. That's why they play the game...........

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I agree with those who think we should start Patterson. He has a better overall game than Luis, his weak side shot blocking has really improved our defense. And his ability to rebound in traffic really helps to close out defensive position. Even though Luis is the better offensive player, 'Pats' overall impact is better, hence why I think we should start him.

Also we should look to move Luis Scola this summer for a center or look for a way to move up the draft, to draft C Jonas Valanciunas.