1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Rockets Retire #55?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dragonz, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Turbo- You have it!! That's the way to do it! No other way to be considered :p

2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Love Deke but its a hell no. Not unless he moves down here and becomes a Rockets assistant coach for a few years and during a championship run.

3. gatsby

gatsby Member

No,

I don't think so. He is an incredible individual (on and off the court), but when it comes down to it, he didn't make Houston into something, nor did he spend a lot of his career here. I think he'll just have a special place in the Rocket's organization's heart but not retired.

If you retire every good guy's jersey, ultimate it brings down the status and exclusivity of it.

4. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

No, Not enough seasons with the Rockets and His contributions were not enough to win a championship. He did great things for the Rockets but it lacks a championship to solidify his place in the rafters.

5. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

Retiring Deke's number would open up the flood gates. Guys like Elvin Hayes, Cat, Steve, Sam, Mario, Mad Max, Kenny Smith and Ralph Sampson did more for the rockets. Matt Bullard probably is remembered more as a Rocket.

He was a great player, and he deserves to have his number somewhere. Just not in Houston

Lets retiring Bobby Sura's number while we are at it.

6. Nick_Young

Nick_Young Member

I don't think it's approperate to retire his # for Houston, though I appreciate what he contributed to this city on court or off court. Maybe the league should award him a kinda "humanitarian" title or sth. Anyway, the league has kept his finger wag patent. haha~~

7. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Retire his Jersey?? Hell No..

Give this man his own statue.

8. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Recognition but not to retire his Jersey. Give the guy props for what He has done on and off court but retiring his number as a Rocket is another story. Thanks Deke and more power.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

The players who've played for the Rockets in this decade who definitely deserves their jersey retired before Deke.

(In no particular order)
    Yao
    T-Mac
    Francis
    Mobley
    Alston
    Battier

Right now Deke is at the level of the likes of Jon Barry, Chuck Hayes, Kelvin Cato in terms of likelyhood of jersey to be retired.

IMO, of the Rockets in the post-championship era, only Yao's jersey is worthy of retiring. T-Mac would be if he came back and lead us to something though. No other player comes even close.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

None of those deserve to be retire. They havent brought this city anything. Theyre all good players or once were good players but that doesnt mean they should get their jersey retired.

11. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Yes. For me it's a no-brainer. He was the heart and soul of our team for the last five years. His impact on the court at his age was almost unheard of, and his impact in the locker room was gigantic. That's not even mentioning his humanitarian efforts in his native Congo.

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Denver should, but not at rox.

Question, whose number have rox retire? I know Rudy, Dream and Clyde. Anyone else?

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Mutombo was a great NBA player and is a great humanitarian.
    However his basketball contribution to the Houston Rockets is unworthy of such an honor. :p

14. Tornadoofsoul6

Eh, Mutombo is possibly one of the classiest players in the NBA and one of the best centers to play. Although I don't see the Rockets retiring 55 just because he didn't contribute much to the court, Denver or Atlanta should definitely retire his jersey.

15. bushwickbillyd

bushwickbillyd Contributing Member

Wouldn't be surprised if they did.....we are the organization that retired "CD" on a jersey.....oh and "Fans" Comets.

Will they ever take down the Comets banners?

16. HeWhoIsLunchbox

Calvin Murphy, Moses Malone, and Carroll Dawson.

17. Ashes

Ashes Member

The NBA should retire his jersey.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

19. HeWhoIsLunchbox

I agree with this.

20. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

No on the number. I think the statue would be a good idea.