1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Rockets Retire #55?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dragonz, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

Clyde was here for 3 and half seasons, and we retired his number. I know he won a championship so it's an unfair comparison, but it goes to show you that the length of time with a team does not matter. On the other hand, we didn't retire Barkley's number when his hall-of-fame career ended here.

What Deke did on and off the court during his Rockets years were nothing short of phenomenal and inspiring. I wouldn't be surprised if Rockets retire his number. I can't imagine any future Rockets wearing number 55, regardless if the number is retired or not. That's a tough tough task for someone to follow Deke's footsteps :)

2. Asian Sensation

Drexler also grew up in Houston and went to HS/College in Houston and has many ties with the city. With that said I think Mutombo should have his number retired.

3. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

noooooo
    in that case Barkley number should be retired.

4. fallingwaters

fallingwaters Member

NO! i love mutombo but his number should not be retired as a Rockets...just as clyde drexlers' number should not of have been retired by the rockets...

5. sabesque

sabesque Member

I think his jersey should be retired:

1) Hall of Fame player
    2) Chose to retire in Houston
    3) Played equal quantity of years here as with any team
    4) Great representation of what the team (wants to) stands for
    5) Achieved the 2nd all time blocks mark as a rockets player
    6) Fan loved-player
    7) Why the hell not?

6. sabesque

sabesque Member

I agree with you 100%

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Actually I read some time ago an article where Deke said he would like his number retired as a Nugget. I guess that can't stop us from retiring it as well, but his intention was for Denver to.

8. RocketsFanSam

RocketsFanSam Contributing Member

Nope, he did more in Denver and in Philly than here as a player, I hope they dedicate something to him though.

9. jwayne

jwayne Member

You know, Deke is a iconic individula. He was one of the greatest shot blockers in NBA history, one of the greatest teammates and cheerleaders in NBA history but more than that, the person he is goes far above and beyond basketball. I personally feel it has been an honor to have be part of our Rockets organization and our great city. I have always felt like our city and our sports teams have always been for the most part classy and Deke epitamizes that trait, class! He was and will always be a class act on the court he was and in life he is. If I were Mr. Alexander, I would retire #55 in a heartbeat, besides, that particular number league wise has been synonymous with Dikembe Mutombo. Honestly when you think of #55, you think Deke... Am I right? Who else? Im all for retiring his number... Just for the guys he is...

:D

10. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

I love Deke, but if we retire his number, we should retire Mobley and Francis's number first.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

He was a backup center who played 15 minutes a night. No.

12. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Yes retire 55, he was a warrior for this team.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

14. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

No. Retired numbers should only be done for great players who helped lead the franchise to success over a period of time. Deke was a great teammate, a great person, and a hard worker, but he doesn't deserve his number to be retired in Houston.

15. MandM's

MandM's Member

No way. Did absolutely nothing here

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

LOVE Deke - but no.... he wasnt even an official starter.... those that mention 'he's a warrior' etc... Do u retire Sura's #? Gotta say no, its what u did in a Rockets uniform... Clyde was essential in getting us a ring - and (whille realizing i'm contradicting myself on the Rockets uniform) he also had the Phi Slama Jama ties to Houston...

17. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

No, but how about a bronze statue outside the locker room waving his finger in the air, and a caption towards the bottom saying "Not In My House!". All the players could walk by and as ask themselves before the game, "What would Deke do? What would Deke say?". Say a little prayer or just slap the guy on the butt? :eek:

18. Strawman

Strawman Member

Yes. For all those saying no because he should be retired elsewhere. I hope you know more than one team can retire the same player's jersey.

19. Strawman

Strawman Member

Bronze? Make it golden. :)

20. DreamRoxCoogFan

Did WeMissDekeMan get banned?