1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Penn State get the Death Penalty?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by underoverup, Jul 12, 2012.

?

Should Penn State get the Death Penalty?

1. Yes

85 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Who exactly are we talking about here? The players? They should be allowed to transfer anywhere they want without penalty IMO. The coaches? Same goes for them. Office staff?

I just don't think anyone is going to go hungry if Penn State football ceases to exist.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think you're underestimating the impact of shutting down the program.

Easy for you to say "just transfer", but it's not that simple for people.

Football generates a ton of money. It brings cash into the town, the conference, the athletic program (most of which has nothing to do with football), etc. It generates jobs for people, brings in tourists, etc.

The economic impact is massive. Imagine the affect of an entire season in College Station without Aggie football. It would be a huge blow to a ton of people. Lots of ripple effects. It affects a lot of people who couldn't have less to do with those crimes.

SMU is the perfect case study of how much the DP affects the wrong people and has no positive effect on stopping bad behavior around CFB.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You are correct. It has a massive economic impact. And that impact is what allowed this to happen. You say it's about bad people at PSU, but when do you ever hear about good people at an athletic program stopping bad things from happening at a big time program? It's always the same. They get caught and repercussions come down. The problem is bigger than any person or people who might run a single institution.

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

About as often as I read happy/positive stories in the newspaper.

Ever think that we don't hear about this stuff because maybe it isn't newsworthy when some admin cracks down on a corrupt person in their jurisdiction?

That's just business as usual, to me.

The exception to the rule, i.e. a giant scandal, is what gets publicized.

Edit: Players get kicked off of teams all the time when coaches or admin discover them doing inappropriate things, coaches can get hammered too when they screw up. When is the last time you heard of a player or assistant coach getting kicked off a team being headline news? Normally it's a tiny little blurb... if that.

#64 DonnyMost, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  5. Summer Song Giver

Remove the statue and rename the library and you can play.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The university has become criminally corrupted by the criminal behavior of the football program, over which it was able to exercise zero control. Rather, it was the other way around, and the university (a state institution btw) was betraying its core mission at great risk to not only its own reputation, but at the costs of kid's lives.

Suspending the football program removes this possibility for the time that there is no football program of this kind of subversion ever occurring.

As for the collateral damage, sorry, they'll have to find another team to play/root/work for. If that's the price of serial rape enabling, I'm cool with it.

Talk about hte economic consequences is kind of silly. The net economic impact isn't nearly as profound as you'd think.

THere's tons of economic substitutes for this. People who don't watch Penn State on Saturdays will watch Pitt or saved by the Bell reruns or whatever - the country will survive. This isn't closing all the GM plants in the midwest and ****ing up the whole supply chain or anything like that .

#66 SamFisher, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  7. crazeazn

crazeazn Member

permanent football ban. the school missed its first priority which is providing a safe environment to learn. let that sh@tf@cker joepa's legacy that he lost the school's football program. hell, put a sign "I allowed boys to be raped" to be put on his statue.

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Absolutely agreed.

Exactly. They didn't stop rape and sexual abuse because of bad PR. Dresden 45' the campus for all I care.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Good.

10. Buck Turgidson

Left field question: have you seen "Pony Excess", the 30for30 doc on SMU?

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ok so are you just never in favor of the death penalty?

12. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'm not give the death penalty to Jerry Sandusky.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think if you sit down as a parent and think what you would feel like if that happened to your own child. seriously if that happened to your child i think you might be ok with penn state not playing football for a while. you have to take a stand with things in this world if you want it to be a better place down the road. and its not ok to hurt innocent children and let it continue for years and years and not do a thing about it because you just gotta have that win record. its sad. hell they should just shut it down on there own.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'd be for it if Penn State was unwilling to fire or prosecute anybody involved in the crime or its coverup. If that were the case, their program should be suspended indefinitely until they clean house.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Isn't that exactly what they did for a decade?

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The evidence includes a football coach, Joe Paterno, who had immense influence on campus; a football program so powerful that many people, including the president and other university officials, stayed silent as crimes were committed rather than engender bad publicity for the team; and an athletic department that did not comply with federal laws concerning the reporting of and protection against suspected sex crimes.

full article

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

And if they got busted a decade ago and refused to prosecute and/or fire anybody involved in the crime, then they should've been given the death penalty then.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Instead they didn't get busted so they just condoned it and let children get raped until the whole world came down on them. Then they fired people. So let's not risk hurting the wrong people now.

The time to save the football program was a decade ago. The time to kill it has come.

If Penn State can't survive without it's football program then it further demonstrates the problems the university has.

19. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Little kids were raped in football lockerooms. Those that new kept quiet.

Let the above quote marinate in your mind.

Suspending football (a game) doesn't equate to child rape (10 years worth).

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The time to kill it was a decade ago. The people who committed the crimes through action/inaction are (I hope?) gone. The DP does nothing but punish the innocent at this point.

If Penn State (or whoever is overseeing the cleanup) cannot or will not remove and punish those responsible, then kill the program, because it is too dangerous to be kept running with criminals and deviants in charge.