1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Penn State get the Death Penalty?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by underoverup, Jul 12, 2012.

?

Should Penn State get the Death Penalty?

1. Yes

85 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Nope, I sure wouldn't.

I'm really not arguing for it...I just understand the logic.

2. MadMax

This is the part I'm not sure about...not with a 4 year ban.

It's one thing when you take 1 year off...people come back looking forward to what they missed that following year.

But slowly watching a dying product for 4 years? Knowing you're ineligible...knowing the past and that the future isn't going to be better on the field anytime soon?? I'm not sure you're going to continue to sell huge quantities of tickets...you likely will in the first year, simply out of a show of support...but what about the next year...or the next?

Of course I don't know for sure, but I'm not so sure this isn't worse, ultimately.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What else are you going to do on a Saturday in State College?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

AP_Top25 @AP_Top25
    Big Ten strips Penn State of bowl revenue, an estimated $13M, for next 4 years, team banned from football title game for same time

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I hope the Alumni football donations get reverted to the "Sex abuse victims fund" as well.

6. MadMax

I'm pretty sure they have people who travel from beyond the school, itself. Students may or may not show up to watch this...but they're not the ones who buy the expensive tickets.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have to say, this has been one of the most shocking things I've ever seen happen in sports.

For a man as well regarded and revered as Joe Paterno to have his statue torn down, for all these things to happen, for all the good things he did, all the lives he touched and young men he gave the tools to succeed, for Joe Paterno to go out this way, to be forced to an early grave by this scandal... it is very sad.

Hope Sandusky is preparing his corn chute.

What a disgusting piece of **** human being.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That scumbag got off easy. Wish they could have kept him alive to see all this.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He did a terrible thing, it just saddens me to see a man who achieved so much be brought down by such a brutal mistake.

I think perhaps Joe looked the other way a couple times and fooled himself into believing things weren't true. But to see these things come out lately which point to him covering things up, just makes you cringe. Why Joe? Why? You had a responsibility to protect innocent children and you failed.

Ugh.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Death Penalty/w early reinstatement (or just call it suspension) probably would have been the best for everyone and at least offers some sort of conceptual "atonement" ....

...Now Penn State gets to play a bunch of seasons as a disgraceful, distasteful villain school with monetary/scholarship penalties. With a horrible cloud and pretty much everybody in the universe rooting against them. Great. Go Lions!

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

One strange fact after the punishment...

The 2010 Penn St. vs Ohio St. game has now been vacated by both teams. The game has now been removed from ever happening.

12. MadMax

Exactly!!! This drags it out for them.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

BS. He protected and enabled a pedophile. No so called "good" makes up for that. All in to maintain his legacy and a football program. Totally pathetic. The whole university and their alumni now have to hang their heads in shame.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That makes him the head of a Child Prostitution ring
    Paterno is officially scum

I wonder if folx would be so forgiving if it were their kid
    or kids that were similar to their kids
    But no
    sarcasm
    these were just poor kids who would probably not have amounted to anything any way . . .
    so why not sacrifice them for 100+ more wins? /sarcasm

Folx who think it is two harsh . . . maybe they should put their kids
    in a shower with Sandusky twice a week for a couple of hours

These were kids. . . . .kids. . . .
    How many wins is one rape of a child worth? How many scholarships?
    Whatever they got .. .they deserved and more

Rocket River

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

What's the NCAA going to do with $60 million?

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This.

1 person likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyCBS
    Big Ten's $13 million in revenue Penn State won't receive will go to children's charities

Penn State $60 million fine goes to "endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting"

18. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Penn State will be back. I think this is fair punishment. People still want more but nothing will ever be enough for some ...you can't change what happened.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

His legacy would not have been tarnished for turning in Sandusky. I think it had more to do with it being his friend of over 30 years.

The coverup did all the harm to the University and Paterno.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Paterno family statement:

"Sexual abuse is reprehensible, especially when it involves children, and no one starting with Joe Paterno condones or minimizes it. The horrific acts committed by Jerry Sandusky shock the conscience of every decent human being. How Sandusky was able to get away with his crimes for so long has yet to be fully understood, despite the claims and assertions of the Freeh report.

The release of the Freeh report has triggered an avalanche of vitriol, condemnation and posthumous punishment on Joe Paterno. The NCAA has now become the latest party to accept the report as the final word on the Sandusky scandal. The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best.

That the President, the Athletic Director and the Board of Trustees accepted this unprecedented action by the NCAA without requiring a full due process hearing before the Committee on Infractions is an abdication of their responsibilities and a breach of their fiduciary duties to the University and the 500,000 alumni. Punishing past, present and future students of the University because of Sandusky’s crimes does not serve justice. This is not a fair or thoughtful action; it is a panicked response to the public's understandable revulsion at what Sandusky did.

The point of due process is to protect against this sort of reflexive action. Joe Paterno was never interviewed by the University or the Freeh Group. His counsel has not been able to interview key witnesses as they are represented by counsel related to ongoing litigation. We have had no access to the records reviewed by the Freeh group. The NCAA never contacted our family or our legal counsel. And the fact that several parties have pending trials that could produce evidence and testimony relevant to this matter has been totally discounted.

Unfortunately all of these facts have been ignored by the NCAA, the Freeh Group and the University."