1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Morris replace 2Pat at the starting 4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spdngyns69, Dec 20, 2012.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

How is Morris a 4 if he can't guard them? The physical ones. I see him as poor Chandler parsons.

Patterson a hard worker? Greg Smith is a hard worker. My rant on how Greg does the little BIG things (dirty work)Patterson doesn't do a while back, before Gregsanity

2. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Can we trade Patterson for the other twin!

3. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

I wouldn't say MM is the better player yet, but the chemistry with the starting unit is more positive overall.

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Morris has started these last three games where two of the teams had no PF presence and the PF for the third team pretty much controlled the game in the one they lost.

Before claiming Morris should start from now on, I'd like to see how he plays against some of the better PFs in the league.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

5-6 years ago in the west conference he would have no chance at the 4. Brand,dirk,Duncan,amare,............ all these wouldve tore him up.

Nowadays, who is a power forward threat? Zbo and that's it. League is softer and you can get away with some but you still can't do Patterson at 5. Not to that point yet, Mchale

6. nomangame

nomangame Member

Funny....I see him more as a 3....

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morris needs to play better than this to take Patterson's job. And it's pretty telling how young this team is, when posters are writing off 23yr old players as having reached their mediocre ceiling.

8. Yaowza!

Yaowza! Member

Moot point for the next 5 weeks. Morris does not play even the mediocre defense that Patterson plays. I would like to see Donatis or Terrance in there. More upside and legit 4's.

9. Lactose

Lactose Member

I get the feeling that morey is looking for a STAR st 4. Are either ppat or Morris going to be a star? I don't think so. They havent showed huge flashes. That means they are traded and we are pumping them up now for trade value.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

[​IMG]

wonder twin powers activate! take form of an all-star!

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Both 2Pat and 2M are merely placeholders for Donatas Motiejunas, who is gaining weight and learning his craft from McHale and crew. Once he knows where and when to be on the court, 2Pat will be his backup and we can trade 2M for a player we need.

12. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Unfortunately, that means the other one will take form of water.

Did we get the water twin?

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

God damnit, I hate "we" talk in sports. I don't play for, own, nor manage the Rockets. Pretend I said "the Rockets" and not "we." kthxbye

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Morris is a slightly better shooting Patterson. However it remains to be seen if he can hold his own on defense. He doesn't seem to be the answer, but Patterson definitely isn't, so it's reasonable to start Morris and see how it goes.

15. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Yeah, we'll see tomorrow if he has any ability against a real PF but the trend in the league lately seems to be playing these quicker guys at the four. Lebron and Carmelo have been moved to the four, hell Battier was playing a lot at the four last season. So you can win like that, but against teams like Memphis Greg Smith is probably going to log a lot of minutes. Maybe we can get Chuck Hayes back?

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

he's pretty much the only option if we are serious about trying to sneak into the playoffs. D-Mo is too much of a defensive liability (not that Morris isn't) and Jones is too raw to play big minutes. That said, i'm more excited about those two than any of the young prospects on our squad so i'd like to see what they can actually do with non-garbage minutes.

17. shuh

shuh Member

This.

I think TJones can really be very effective and better on D than PPat and Morris. If DMo can fix his D and start rebounding more, he would be the most effective, since he has a lot of offensive talent.

For now, I think MMorris maybe has the edge over PPat against teams with a softer PF. And PPat agains the others.. It is pretty much balanced.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For Morris, it really depends on his 3 point shot. If he can nail it enough to cause the other PF to guard him out there, you have to look is Morris's defense against a big four bad enough that it outweighs the paint being empty to Harden and Lin when they do PnR with Asik.

I am very interested to see ZBo try to guard Morris and be in the lane to stop Harden. Granted, I don't want to watch Morris guarding ZBo.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is dead wrong for one reason, an old adage. "You are what you can guard"

Morris can certainly guard the SF position in time. He has the lateral quickness and great hands to do so. Several times this year he has been switched onto PGs and SGs, and has done a fantastic job moving his feet. His offense can certainly translate as well, especially If we would run some post up plays for him...

20. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

I've seen it too. Glad to know that others are noticing as well. I mean he wont become our next "franchise" player lol but if we lower our expectations on him, he could be pretty damn good. Spot duty at the 3/4 depending on matchups plus I don't think he will be a tweener forever.