1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lin play the final 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wendzall, Mar 7, 2013.

1. FranchiseReDeux

no only the last 4.23 minutes

2. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Holy ****, you think that is meaningful? That an "average" player plays 35 minutes.... That you can extrapolate data like that? I'll go ahead and just say that all your posts are, in fact, meaningless if you think that.

3. wendzall

wendzall Member

You're right a player's points and assists are individual stats but +/- differential shows much more than that. It shows how well a player performed with the other team mates on the court. So, if they outscore their opponents they have a plus differential or if they are outscored by their opponents they have a minus. By definition +/- shows how well the offense and defense of the group is doing during the time a player is on the court

So a sixth grader would have to agree that Lins higher +/- means he and his team are playing better in the last 5 minutes when he is in the game.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Still, we need a +/- or something. "Close game" could mean up three or down three with three minutes left. If you want to evaluate McHale's decision making, you have to track the scores when he puts Lin in and takes him out. If we're winning by a few or losing by a few, what does McHale do with Lin? We still don't know that. Even is we did, it helps to know whether the opposing point guard is Steve Nash or Russell Westbrook, etc. etc.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

What are you even talking about. Single coverage? Double Coverage? What?

I have no issue if you think Lin should have been on the court at the end of the game last night. You're entitled to that opinion. Maybe he should have. But don't make things up to support your opinion.

6. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

And at the very least we need stats of Patrick Beverly without including Toney Douglas in it. Douglas isn't even on the team anymore, what's the point of that?

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I think a lot of Rockets fans are not in a complaining mood with the Rockets solidly in the playoff race. It's been a while. Maybe we can enjoy it!?

8. Postcall

Postcall Member

Read the sig:rolleyes:

9. Windchime

Windchime Member

I think he meant that Lin has a better chance of drawing attention compared to Beverley, which should open up the floor more for Harden (opponents have to decide between doubling Harden or doubling Lin while paying attention to both).

I'm not against playing Beverley in crunch time if he really is playing well and McHale thinks he is the better choice (I didn't think last night was one of those cases though). I'm more concerned about playing him 15mins without rest in crunch time. meh.

10. wendzall

wendzall Member

Here are some quick points in summary:

1) In games with a final score difference of 7 points or less the Rockets have a record of 8 wins and 12 losses.

2) Of the 8 wins Lin played in the final 5 minutes of 6 of those games.

3) Of the 12 losses Lin played in the final 5 minutes of 8 of those games.

4) So the idea that Lin should be in close games has some merit as he has been involved in 75% of the wins and 66% of the losses.

5) What are also considerable are the +/-, Assists, and Points in the final 5 minutes of games.
    a) In the wins Lin averaged: +3.5 +/-, 0.5 Assists, 4.2 Points
    -----------other PGs averaged: +2.7 +/-, 0 Assists, 4.7 Points
    b) In the losses Lin averaged: 0 +/-, 0.2 Assists, 2.3 Points
    -----------other PGs averaged: -3.7 +/-, 0.3 Assists, 0.7 Points

----------------------------
    In the final 5 minutes of 20 close games of 7 points or less:

J Lin averaged: +1.5, 0.33 assists, 3.1 points
    Others PGs avg: - 1.8, 0.2 assists, 1.9 points

These are the overall averages of both losses and wins, while the data above shown in #5) separates the stats for wins and losses.
    of 14 close games he's been in the Rockets won 6 = 43%
    of 6 close games he's not been in Rockets won 2 = 33%

1 person likes this.
  11. wapz

wapz Member

[youtube]5ztVTba8nnI[/youtube]

:[

1 person likes this.
  12. trock

trock Member

Oh, I'm all about enjoying it. What's even more enjoyable is that this is a good core and I'm looking forward to many more years of getting better. But that's exactly the reason I don't understand the dismissive tone people talk about these young players. Why shouldn't any of these guys--Lin, Asik, Harden, Parsons--play the final 5 minutes. They're each the best player at their position on this team. It's silly.

13. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

[​IMG]

these posts remind me of inferior long time posters on clutch fans who cant offer a proper statistical or analytical post so they are reduced to trying to trivialize the credibility of a newer member by going LOF HATER route.

Only in their entitled and conceited warped intellectually inferior minds can newer fans to the team and sport be a bad thing.

1 person likes this.
  14. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

a better question would be whether or not mcfail should coach the final 5 minutes?

1 person likes this.
  15. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

A better question is whether or not McHale actually coaches during the final 5 minutes...unless you consider 5 minutes of ISO Harden coaching.

16. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

"We dont really have any set plays."

-Chandler Parsons

17. zdrav

zdrav Member

You probably also trusted Toney Douglas more than Jeremy Lin too, right?

18. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I have seen LeBron, Kobe, Melo, Curry, Ray Allen, Novak shoot air balls many times. Does that make them worse shooters?

"Giving the ball to Harden which is all we need at the end of game" was exactly the reason why we lost to Mavs last night.

19. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Is Asik a defensive liability? why was he sitting?

20. FranchiseReDeux

ok fine, last 12 minutes