1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lin play PG full time or be replaced?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Jan 21, 2013.

1. manning

manning Member

it's not a surprise...people always scapegoat someone when they lose...although the rockets finally got the win,but this team is in trouble and anyone who has watched every single game knows it. Lin is not the only one struggling. look at asik,PPT,TD even Harden... why TD suddently lost his backup job? What the heck happened? i don't think bench any players can make him be more aggressive. anyway,a win is a win.hope they can find the right way to get wins.

2. Jedster

Jedster Member

That's just unfair man. The guy was there at the game and he wrote what he saw. You weren't there and you dismiss it just like that.

I didn't see what he saw because I only watched the game on my computer, and so I greatly appreciated his input.

I wish more people attending the games would write reviews. I would love to hear about the story on the sidelines.

3. w00t

w00t Member

Once the r****ded coach runs Harden to the ground with a season/career ending injury, Lin will get his chance to play real pg and run the team ;)

4. cw3k

cw3k Member

The whole team is struggling, it is not just Lin. The players are not happy. Did you see a smile from them? I didn't see any. Everyone was upset and lack of motivation.

5. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

So you are saying that he was "just presenting the facts" right?

Direct quote: "More like when you think someone is bad at the game so you don't want him to do much because you don't trust him."

Not unfair at all. I'm not blaming Lin for anything just the fans who are trying to find reasons why Lin hasn't transformed into a superhero. I was rolling my eyes with reactions during linsanity and doing the same here.

It's not just that 1 piece I've had a problem with either. Been seeing the same or similar drawn conclusions by the same group of people ever since he started struggling at game 3.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You probably wouldn't

7. Jedster

Jedster Member

Nope, I didn't say he was presenting the facts. Obviously the original writer could be interpreting it his own way.

I just feel that if he was there and he saw something that we can't see on TV because the camera doesn't pan over to the bench all that often, then I appreciate that review and I don't like it when people just deride such interesting eyewitness as garbage.

Just because you don't agree with him doesn't make his eyewitness not credible. It just means you have a different way of seeing it.
    But it doesn't mean it's not interesting to know the interactions between the player and his coaches.

8. imanshar

imanshar Member

I am a LOF and I believe if lin be the 6th man he would be more effective. I don't understand why the coaches didn't figure this out yet. Players like Ginobli, j.r smith and Etc all come of the bench and have huge impact on the game. Atleast give it a try.

9. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Say more about this. Why do you think this is a good role for him?

10. mothman

mothman Member

When the pf were not performing in recent games, who did the coaches put out to guard Dirk Nowitzki and the likes? Carlos Delfino. And mind you, we have several forwards who can play the 3 & 4.

FYI, TD played 16.5 mins per game during the first 11 games during which he made a total of 17 out of 60 fga.

11. imanshar

imanshar Member

First, Lin has been better with the second unit especially G.smith and delfino. Second, he would have more minutes without harden on the floor so he can be primary ball handler and probably first option. But I really think the greg smith and Lin PnR could be one of the best offensive play for Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  12. mothman

mothman Member

Not really, there were games when Harden shot poorly during the first 3 quarters but exploded in the 4th during his 25pt streak. When you are given the 2nd chance, 3rd chance... to shoot thru your slump, you may actually improve your efficiency.

13. Jedster

Jedster Member

I wasn't sure I agreed at first but then I thought about Lin's chemistry with Asik, and I think you might be on to something.

Other than those large hands that won't miss as many catches, I also think that Smith would be more open to listening to Lin's court direction since he is a younger player. And Lin loves to find Delfino. It was obvious in the Bobcats game.

But even if Lin comes off the bench as 6th man, when Harden and Parsons plays 40 minutes, there is still bound to be overlap, so they still need to work out their roles.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

sorry, i posted this in the wrong thread...

It's not just that Lin can't shoot 3's. It's that, despite his high # of steals, he's still an average defender at best. So if your starting PG can't make open jumpers, and you can't depend on him to defend opposing PGs at a high level, and he has the 6th or 7th worst TO% per 48 minutes among PGs, why play him starter's minutes?

Lin is excellent at driving to the hoop and he's an above average passer, but that's pretty much it. Ball security, shooting, and defense are all below average. Your starting PG needs to succeed in at least two out of those three areas.

15. imanshar

imanshar Member

Yeah you right about Harden minutes but if Lin can prove that he can play better without harden on the court coaches may reduce harden minutes a little.
    Like harden 35 mins/ TD 13 mins
    Beverly 20 mins/ Lin 28

16. Roxnostalgia

It's a chance to fix Lin's reticency with Harden on the court and Smith could clean up all those missed shots;)

All sarcasm aside, keep posting. Refreshing not to see a Lin fan who doesn't see the only resolution being to trade Lin to whatever team is leading in the standings.

17. w00t

w00t Member

Toronto arena always fills when Lin is playing there. Let Lin be a star Raptors deserves... offer Lin for Jonas :p :rolleyes:

18. cw3k

cw3k Member

It is not Lin that cannot improve. It is he is not been used right by the coaches. Lin is a PnR player, and how many PnR you see in the last few games? ZERO!!!

Even the elite PG need PnR. Might I say CP3. Even if CP3 is in the Rockets team, he will has the same performance as Lin. ISO Harden, CP3 at the wing waiting for the pass for a 3. Disgusting.

19. Roxnostalgia

You really believe that it's all on the coaches don't you?

20. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Good points. I think it's Harden's ability to draw fouls driving to the basket which is the reason why Harden has the ball in his hands more. If Lin could draw fouls like Harden (I know one reason is that refs are not calling some fouls committed on Lin), then Lin could also have the ball in his hands more. But anyway you slice it, the current Rockets system, where not many screens are being set, is not good for a player like Lin. The first player that is going to be doing worse is Asik because Lin was making passes to him often.

Bobcats gave away the game; Rockets did not win the game. I predict Rockets will end up 5 to 10 games below 50%. I still don't know why TD is not given playing time, because TD to me is a better shooter than Beverley and just as good defender.